BBR enduro/trials hybrid

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by brownvv, Feb 4, 2017.

1. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have played around with the idea of a lightweight xr200 with good ground clearance, long suspension travel, and a low seat height for quite a while. I have looked at all the build threads with engine swaps or suspension conversions. I almost pulled the trigger on a street legal xr200 last summer but ended up passing on it and have been regretting it badly. Last fall I was checking Craigslist hoping to find a good xr200 or honestly the one I passed on when I came across the one....
    4 hours away from me in a little mountain town was a bbr perimeter framed xr200r with cr85 suspension.
    This was exactly what I wanted to build only better. And at $1500 I felt like it was a steal. I am the 3rd owner and got lots of spare parts and the original bill of sale from bbr.
    The bike weighs 193 pounds full of fuel and is extremely fun to ride. It might be the most fun bike I have ever rode.
    While researching, I came across 2 guys with this bbr convertion bike that converted them to have full size wheels. At first I thought that was not going to be worth the effort of extending the swingarm, but the small wheels really limit what the bike can easily roll over. It has 16/19 and I really want 18/21. There is no room in the swingarm for a bigger rear and the front might have some clearance issues as well when the forks are fully compressed.
    Other things the bikes needs...
    -Lower footpegs moved back
    -Add a kickstand
    -Extend swingarm
    -lace 18 inch wheel to rear
    - convert full size mx wheel to fit the front
    -Added fuel capacity (if this thing holds more than a gallon I would be surprised)
    Moving the pegs will cause issues with the shift and brake lever and the kicksarter
    20161022_172118.jpg 20161026_172705.jpg
    Snks and pennswoodsed like this.
  2. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    Wonder if a xr400 version could be done ? with led street lighting ?
  3. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bbr made a few aluminum framed xr400s. This little one is rare, the xr400 is Pretty much a unicorn
  4. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looking at modern trails bike specs show that both montesa and gas gas both have a 52 inch wheelbase. my bbr also has a 52 inch wheelbase. modern mx bikes (rmz, crf, yzf) are showing a 58-59 wheelbase. I am lengthening my swingarm 3 inches to gain clearance for my 18 inch rear wheel. this will give me a 55 inch wheelbase. that dead in the middle of a trials bike and a mx bike. sounds about right for a hybrid to me...
    the added wheelbase will be nice for steep hills. this lightweight xr200 really is a hill climber but it comes over backwards easy with its short wheelbase. it practically idles up really steep hills. and with its lightweight, gearing, and torque you don't have to hold nowhere near as much momentum to make it up a hill.
  5. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    after lots of shopping around I decided that the bolt on crf450 foot pegs would be nice and easy. even bought a trailtech kickstand for the crf450 because I am not a fan of kickstands that clamp on to the swimgarm. well my easy crf foot pegs were not as easy as I thought. I didn't realize that were the pegs bolt onto the crf frame was on an angle. I originally planned on bolting them on flat at a 90 degree angle from the frame but that held the pegs at a terrible angle. i was able to solve the problem using angle iron and strap. i feel like i did a decent job making it not look like angle iron and strap lol. i have some more shaping to do on that bracket but overall i am happy with it. its 2 inches lower and 1.75 farther back than the bbr peg. i have both pegs mounted for reference. i was hoping that the kickstand would work when i got the peg angled right but i was wrong. its was too long, and too far from the bike when folded up. i had to cut the mount off and reposition it. now i need to work on the spring location but its going to work nicely. i did make it too long for my current small wheels so i cant even use it until i get big boy wheels. o and i cant realy reach my shifter now, yayy... standing on this thing feels perfect now though, it feels like a full size bike and i didn't lower the pegs so much that i lost ground clearance. i was wondering why the heck bbr mounted them so high originally. after seeing the issues it causes with the kick start and shift lever i understand why they did what they did.
    20170203_170636.jpg 20170202_181246.jpg 20170202_181259.jpg 20170203_102508.jpg
  6. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my original design of my right peg is not setting well with me. its too far away from the bike because of where the kick start hits it. it also looks like a chunk of lead and after looking at it for a day it drove me nuts. i decided to modify my foot peg bracket so i could bolt/weld it on flat and not at an angle. i also decided that modifying the kick start lever was going to be my best option. i can make it hit the peg where it needs to and give my foot some clearance from the peg. i should be able to regain some kick start revolution as well making starting easier. i am thinking rather than adding a few inches to the lever, i will make 1 lever out of 2 by grafting another one on. i will be adding a dr350 lever on it because its what i have one hand and it looks like it will work nicely. will the welded lever be an issue since its not hardened? what do you think of my wood grain finish?
    20170203_131836.jpg 20170203_170516.jpg 20170204_211558.jpg 20170204_211907.jpg
  7. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    A mate of mine has the foot peg lift out of the way using the decompression cable, Took a lot of trial and error engineering, but works.
  8. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Care to elaborate? I am not quite following
  9. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    Can't remember the exact details....

When you kick start the bike, a cable is connected from the kick lever to the exhaust valve to ease starting. (when auto decompression is fitted )

That cable was re-routed (and re-engineered) to pull up on the spring loaded foot peg, so the kick starter cleared it on the down stroke.

On the return stroke the kick lever just pushes the peg up out of the way...

I think that's how it worked..... Angle grinder was used a lot.....Probably...

Cheers

Dave
  10. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    o that makes since. that also sounds like an absolute mess to try and get it right. that would be pretty sweet though.
  11. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just used some CRF footpeg mounts to lower the pegs on my Versys.

Got around the mount angle problem a different way - mounted the bracket flat,
    but ground down the stop on the pegs so that the peg now stops up against the head of the big mounting bolt.

You vary the angle of the peg by the amount you grind off the stop - so don't grind too much!
  12. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that was one of my first thoughts when I got them but looking at the ims pegs that I have, I would have had to grind down most if not all of the stop on the peg making it weaker. also that would have thrown off the angle on the kickstand mount. I was really hoping not to have to modify the kickstand mount because it was expensive and I was afraid I might not weld very well. I had to cut it off and change the angle anyways though and it welded just fine. my solution for the right footpeg is pretty much the same as grinding the stop off though. I cut the center out of the bracket and my peg will swing all the way through it and stop in the mount I weld it to.
    part of my feels like I am moving the pegs too far back. they would look better and be lighter if I moved them forward an inch or so but they feel so nice right there I am going to leave them. I am trying to not add too much extra weight so I might remove some more excess on the mounts and hopefully not weaken them
  13. Pressingonward

Pressingonward Looking forward to what is ahead

Oddometer:
    Cool bike. I read a thread over on thumpertalk several months ago about a guy with a BBR framed xr200; he had the weight down around 185 lbs if I recall correctly.
  14. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ya I have been bugging him with lots of questions. I think 185 is withought gas though. I thinkb bbr said they were 193 with fuel. I am shooting for 210 ish full of gas. mine is getting added fuel capacity because 1 gallon is not enough even for the xr200
  15. CRW

CRW I dont want a pickle

Oddometer:
    Cool project.
    I would love to know where the info about fitting 18/21 to the cr85 is.
    I have a DMC cr85/xr100 Big wheel. but bigger wheels would be super..
  16. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really didn't want to have to cut the kick start lever and I cringed when I put 2 perfectly good levers in the chop saw. it was worth it though. I can kick it naturally without hitting my foot on the peg and I even gained kick start revolution be making the new lever go one spline farther forward the the only lever could. it was hitting the header before and I made it clear with with the new one.
    20170207_155857.jpg
    should of taken a before picture. this is roughly what it looked like before I cut it
    20170207_155948.jpg
    I sharpened both ends like a pencil to get the most weld possible. I have a little more touch up to do to make it look factory, but I think it came out great
    20170207_173311.jpg
    20170207_173557.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  17. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the new footpeg mount closer to the frame looks better, feels better, and is lighter. you can see in some of the pictures where I am having clearance issues with the brake lever hitting the peg mount. still have to shorted the lever to.
    20170207_173053.jpg

Attached Files:

JagLite and Snks like this.
  18. ktm360mx

ktm360mx Woof

Oddometer:
    If you are looking for more clearance and larger wheels, go with a swing arm and set of wheels from the CR85 Big Wheel. Cheap to source and easy to add on to the bike. I have a CR85 BW and swap back and forth between the wheel sets depending on what we are doing.
  19. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bike already has the cr85 big wheel swingarm and wheels. Instead of the 16/19 I am wanting 18/21
  20. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    I had a TLR 200 for a while. They got around the shifter problem with linkage. Most of the guys that use them for trials use a XR 80 shift lever positioned straight up. The kicker hits the peg on the TLR also. It was a neat little bike but too nice to strip it for trials so I sold it. IIRC it was around 200 lbs. I had to grind the stops a little on the crf450 pegs I put on my DR350 to get them straight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    JagLite and brownvv like this.