1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BBT 2011 Tour ATL to Prodhoe Bay Leaving July 2nd

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jhalls, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Jhalls

Jhalls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I am setting off on a ride with my brother. We are riding from Atlanta to Prudhoe bay on a couple of R1200GS Adventures. We have a facebook fan page setup for it mostly to keep friends and family informed we will be posting to that as well as trying to post in here.

We are about three weeks out from leaving now and I have got most of what I think I need fitted and installed on the bike. I have the J&M CB radio paired with a Garmin Zumo 665. My brother and I are running the same comms setup so it should be good.

My upgrades I have fitted are as follows.

It's a 2009 just for reference,

Booster Plug
    Laminar Lip
    J&M Full Comms
    Russell Day Long with back rest
    Wunderlich Tobernators
    Wunderlich Headlamp Cover
    Wunderlich Passenger Plate
    Wunderlich Crash Bar Bags
    Wunderlich Quick Handle Bar Adjusters
    Wunderlich Handle Bar Bag
    Touratech Hand Guard Extensions
    Touratech Adjustable Gear Shifter
    Touratech Brake Peddle Extension
    Touratech Potentiometer Cover
    Touratech Belly Pan
    Touratech Can Bus Adapter
    Grip Puppies
    Tool Tube
    Rox Risers
    Foam Uni pre filter
    Kako Throttle Lock
    Burn Moto USB Power

Here are some pictures of the bike as it stands now, in my garage on a ramp LOL. The first one is my favorite,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a link to the facebook page that will be updated as well. Probably faster as it can be done from a cell phone. We are going to be running a spot tracker so we can be followed across the country lol, that sounds like a laugh, as well as running gopro HD cameras and recording as much as possible to hopefully make some decent video.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-BB-Tour-2011-Atlanta-to-Prudhoe-Bay-Alaska/151665214905534

Anyho, just an into into our trip so you can follow along if you want to.
  2. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to follow this... :evil
  3. Dazn

Dazn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In!

A good friend of mine is also leaving July 2 for Alaska.

He will be riding a sportbike and his grandfather will be riding a Harley. I'll get him on ADV and maybe you guys could share some info and maybe ride together for a bit.
  4. Jhalls

Jhalls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice yeah that would be cool, we are going to try and do it in 4 weeks. We should be ok, it's about 13k on the route we are going. We will be hoteling and camping. I bought some of that bug repellant clothing so I will let you know how that goes LOL. Skeeters see me and say buffet.

Here is a link the the bug repellant clothing.

http://www.exofficio.com/search/bugsaway chasr

and the Give N Go underwear is from here,

http://www.exofficio.com/search/underwear

I also grabbed a water proof bag so I can let you know aboutt hat one too.

http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/ob1012blk.html

I used to own a company in the UK running motorcycle messengers and I have personlly ridden hundreds of thousands of miles as has my brother and in all weathers. That said we have never done anything like this before.

Last year we did MOAB and back in 8 days and that was 4.3K on a couple of 990 Adventures. My dad came on that ride and rode his DL650. Uhhh it was a good trip.
  5. Jhalls

Jhalls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So tonight saw the fitting of the J&M headset into my Scorpian EXO 700. I will say this, I have never had to butcher a helmet so much to fit a comms system.

WOW.

Hopefully going to get a test ride in later tonight, I will try to put about 2 or 3 hrs on the setup and see how it all feels.
  6. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll post the spot tracker link once it's activated. Being cheap, I'm waiting to the last minute before activating it.

I know FLARider (Andy) is going up too, we'll most likely meet up with him and his buddy for a beer in Fairbanks before the trip up to Prudhoe.

Seems like a bucnh of people doing this run this year. Hopefully we'll meet a good few people in the campsites!:freaky

It's hard to miss my bike.:wink:

[​IMG]
  7. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Come on Matt, you can't claim to be cheap. Give everybody the full list of the farkles for that bike :)

8. Jhalls

Jhalls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK so today I am going to try some new ideas about grounding the J&M, there is a whining noise I want to get ride of.
  9. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    The pic above doesn't show the full build out, I'll post various pics to show the "sections.

Here's the full list. I'm NOT buying anything else...

Bike Specific Add-ons<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Rick Mayer seat
    Touratech Dashboard 2 with Standard 12V and Powerlet outputs
    Touratech Headlight Anti Glare Shield
    Wunderlich Vario Screen
    Wunderlich Tobinators for Screen (to adjust the lean angle)
    Wunderlich Steering Stops (to protect the forks in the case of a heavy crash)
    Wunderlich Throttle Lock
    Wunderlich Headlight Protector
    Wunderlich Extended Handguards
    Wunderlich Quick Release Bar Clamps (to adjust the bar position without tools)
    Wunderlich Fender Extenda
    Wunderlich Side Stand Enlarger
    Wunderlich Right Angle Valve Stems
    Wunderlich Handlebar bag
    HID Low Beam Conversion
    Maier Rear Splash Guard (to protect my ESA shock)
    Rox Risers
    Zumo 665
    SPOT Tracker
    Two LED Spot lights &#8211; 3000 lumens
    Tow LED Flood lights &#8211; 3000 lumens
    Krieger Fork Seal Covers
    Boosterplug (makes bike 6% richer in gas mix)
    Foam Oiled Air and Pre-Filter
    Grip Puppies
    Burns Moto USB Power outlet
    Best Rest Back Rest for Rider
    Best Rest Stuff Boxes
    Tool tube
    Laminar Lip
    Adaptiv Radar Detector Visual Alert and access
    Union Jack Tank stickers
    PIAA Light switch mount
    Hwy Pegs
    MCP Works Luggage Rack for both Passenger seat and extended Rack
    Altrider Skid Plate
    Altrider Potentiometer Cover
    J&M CB, Phone, Intercom System
    Go Pro Hero Cam - (including LCD display)
    Various lengths ROX straps
    Camping Gear<o:p></o:p>

Catoma 2-Up tent
    Big Agnes Sleeping Bag
    Big Agnes Sleeping Pad
    Jet Boil
    Exoficcio clothing
    Camping utensils
    Waterproof Bag, 60L
    Waterproof Bag, 30L

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    no no no no - you can't do that to us:cry:huh:cry

need to know before hand so we can quiz you during the ride on how they are performing:deal
  11. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ok.....I am in.........oh wait, I leave the same day as you guys, oops scratch that!!! You got the Starbux date on the second!! Seriously, Wild Hogs? LOL.....so now I will be ahead of you almost a day!! Gonna try to push for Chattanooga the first day.

Oh yeah, btw, thanks for giving me farkle envy!! I thought I bought a lot of shit, you guys went over the top!!!!!
  12. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our basic itinerary, which we need to hold to for the first four days is:

The cities mentioned are all END points for that respective day:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    1.) St. Louis, MO – 580 miles.<o:p></o:p>
    2.) Mitchell, SD - 680 miles<o:p></o:p>
    3.) Billings, ID - 655 miles - after seeing Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood for lunch and Devils Tower. This could be a busy place since it’ll be July 4<SUP>th</SUP>.<o:p></o:p>
    4.) Kalispell, MT - 468 miles - At this point we will have ridden through Yellowstone and are at the bottom edge of Glacier National Park.<o:p></o:p>
    5.) Banff/Lake Louise, AB – 438 miles – The start of Day 5 is the “Going to the Sun Hwy” in Glacier National Pk, then crossing into Canada by lunch time. Camping at either Lake Louise or Banff at the end of the day.<o:p></o:p>
    6.) Dawson Creek, BC – 502 miles – Camping at Mile Zero Camp Ground at the start of the Alcan.<o:p></o:p>
    7.) Laird Hot Springs – 465 miles – Camping at the natural Hot Springs (102 degree water).<o:p></o:p>
    8.) TOK, AK – Longest day of the ride is all ALCAN – 793 miles. This could get broken into two 400 mile days with a stop at Talhinki Hot Springs to break it up. Remember, lots of day light to cover these miles. Camping at Thompsons Motorcycle Campground and eating the “claimed to be” World’s Largest Bison Burger at Fast Eddies. On this route we could divert to Porcupine Creek and see the GOLD RUSH Muppets that were on Discovery Channel. It would add about 300 miles (150 each way) to the trip.<o:p></o:p>
    9.) Fairbanks, AK – 208 miles – 2<SUP>nd</SUP> shortest day/rest day - Change tires are Adventure Cycle Works in Fairbanks.<o:p></o:p>
    10.) PRUDHOE BAY – 492 miles – All dirt, all Dalton.<o:p></o:p>
    11.) Five Mile Campsite on the Dalton – 360 miles - Real Famous place on the Yukon River.<o:p></o:p>
    12.) Somewhere in Denali National Park – 460 miles – 200+ dirt miles after seeing Mt. McKinley.<o:p></o:p>
    13.) Chicken, AK – 361 miles – 90% dirt.<o:p></o:p>
    14.) Faro, YT(or close to it) – 431 miles. <o:p></o:p>
    15.) Watson Lake, YT – 257 miles – All dirt, Sign post forest, Short rest day.<o:p></o:p>
    16.) Hyder, AK – 407 miles of awesome scenery down through Canada Hwy 37. Make sure I look up Tom G’s mate “Carl” to get some good camping by the river to see “Bears eating Salmon”.<o:p></o:p>
    17.) Fraser Lake, BC – 339 miles.<o:p></o:p>
    18.) 100 Mile House, BC – 304 miles – Real Famous place on the Adv Rider and old Gold Mine circuit.<o:p></o:p>
    19.) Forks, WA – 501 miles – Home of the TWILIGHT SAGA and Olympia National Park (Big Ass Red Wood trees). This route may change when we get there to ride a ferry or two which could afford us more time to sight see, visit the Museum of Flight etc…really depends on the weather. There are a ton of options once we get to Vancouver.<o:p></o:p>
    20.) Maupin, WA – 404 miles.<o:p></o:p>
    21.) Grand View, ID – 395 miles.<o:p></o:p>
    22.) Spanish Fork, UT – 366 miles, very close to Saratoga Springs and about 45 miles south of Salt Lake city.<o:p></o:p>
    23.) MOAB, UT – 184 miles – Short Day/Rest day.<o:p></o:p>
    24.) Ouray, CO – 150 miles – Short Day/Rest day.<o:p></o:p>
    25.) Tucumcari, NM – 417 miles.<o:p></o:p>
    26.) Shawnee, OK – 433 miles.<o:p></o:p>
    27.) Tupelo, MS – 551 miles – Hope to see the Muppets working at America’s Best Inn from our trip last year.<o:p></o:p>
    28.) Woodstock, GA – 306 miles – Back to Starbucks by 10:30am to meet the gange for Coffee!!!!<o:p></o:p>
    Approx total mileage is 11,907 miles, without any detours (porcupine creek) or additional sightseeing. I’ll be interested to see where the mileage comes in once the trip is complete.<o:p></o:p>
    So that’s a full 28 days of riding. We may over achieve on some days, under achieve on others. We may decide to head to Homer AK to try and find a few Crab Boats etc… I think as long as we don’t extend past about 3 extra days….we’ll be ok.<o:p></o:p>
    BBT PLAN 2013 – Costa Rica!!!<o:p></o:p>
  13. Jhalls

Jhalls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I have got the J&M to a point that I'm happy with. I cured it by adding an earth to the chassis from a ground on my Touratech Can Bus Adapter.

The test ride on Sunday went well but I still have a little buffeting, I may get one of those Ergo Vario screens from Wunderlich, then I will just put my Laminar lip on that. That's what Matt's running and it works well, very well.
  14. beanpolio

beanpolio Not sure

Oddometer:
    Matt - What a ride! Definitely following along! Looking forward to the report and catching up :freakywhen you get back. Best!

Dave
  15. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, for sure we'll catch up. Hopefully Brian and or Adam can make it over from Golden and meet us for a beer in Ouray.

I'll post my SPOT tracker page once I activate it.....next week :-)
  16. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two more weeks!!! Time is starting to drag by!! Especially now that everything is installed on the bike, I am actually pretty much packed and all the service is done on the bike!!! Ran out a basic itinerary yesterday and it puts me in Fairbanks July 10. Thinking July 11 to put tires on the bike, some service, rest up and then the 12th run to Deadhorse.
  17. IBGONE

IBGONE Old, slow, and happy

Oddometer:
    My nephew and I leave from McMinnville, TN on July 1. He'll be on a 2004 1150GS and I'll be aboard a 2010 G650GS. Maybe we'll see one another along the way. New tires, chain and sprockets for me on Wednesday, and I've done all the other servicing, so I'm good to go and champing at the bit!!! WooT!!:clap
  18. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems there's a few of us that'll be in Fairbanks around the same time before the Prudhoe push...

There has to be a place to meet up for a Beer and shenanagins!!!!!

Any suggestions?:freaky
  20. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Until LIFT-:freaky-OFF.....Can't wait and ready to roll.

Hopefully see some of you guys along the way :clap