BC advice please

Discussion in 'Canada' started by JayElDee, Feb 8, 2019.

1. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    i'd forget about Yoho - head west.

Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 11.12.57 AM.png
  2. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful in Salmon Arm today. Heading to Calgary to meet up with the ST1100/1300 community next week. Weather looks normal for this time a year, Sun, cloud, chance of rain or snow. :-) You get what you get. Fires are way up North. A few around lower BC but nothing big enough to make any news.
    JayElDee likes this.
  3. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A lot of the guys headed North to Calgary have hit snow on the high passes South of the border. Probably why Bear Tooth was closed.
  4. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, devildog! I am in Kalispell, and going to do an easy day. I am heading to Cranbrook for the evening. Then tomorrow, Monday, BC starts in earnest.
    It would appear your route is doable from Cranbrook, though maybe a bit too rushed, too long for a day ride, or...what do you think? Is this too much? I prob will not get away until about 10a, because I need to get some Ca cash, unless I see an ATM before. Looks like accomodations in Vernon are plentiful
    This is the route I think you are proposing?
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cra...6add1e987!2m2!1d-119.2720107!2d50.2670137!3e0
    Steve G. likes this.
  5. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    And I thik there was construction, too, but the snow was the "icing" on the cake.
    There is snow down well into Colorado. I didn't hit any other than Beartooth, and it wasn't falling then, but my stupid garmin has been bleating Snow in the Area, Rain in the area a lot of times
    Steve G. and MGV8 like this.
  6. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely NOT. You need to get to Creston then go North up kootenay lake. Yes my route is dooable in a day but Nakusp has acomadations and a short great ride to vernon in morning
    JayElDee likes this.
  7. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cranbrook. To Creston to Kaslo to New Denver to Nakuspt Vernon
    JayElDee likes this.
  8. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I wasnt moving into my new house tommorow I would ride with you.
    JayElDee likes this.
  9. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I apologize for the shitty weather i did request sunshine and 80 F for you. Sorry :)
    JayElDee likes this.
  10. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    yeah, I see it. I didn't really look, but saw 3a farther up...I see it coming from Crestor to KB to Balfour and 31a new Denver, etc.

I will look at lodging in Nakusp because I will probably want to stop for pictures. The weather is what it is. I would like to be able to see the mountains better, but occassionally some blue peeks through
    I think this is your route
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cra...1461d3ad0!2m2!1d-117.8011055!2d50.2398537!3e0
  11. CaribooBC

CaribooBC life is an adventure

Oddometer:
    Your route is good, but even better to head north at Creston to Crawford Bay, then cross Kootenay Lake on the ferry to Balfour, Balfour north to Kaslo and then over 31A to New Denver. Better, more scenic roads and you miss Kootenay Pass, where you could expect snow with the cool temperatures we are having.
  12. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Close but no cigar, try this
    https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Cran...6add1e987!2m2!1d-119.2720107!2d50.2670137!3e0
    shuswap1 likes this.
  13. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    thanks, got it...reservations in Nakusp. Patchy blue skies!!!
  14. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on 31A. Plus you can cut off to Sandon and get a tour of the powerplant. If you're a machinery nut it will make your day.
    Steve G. likes this.
  15. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    did your route yesterday, and it was very fine! I made a wrong turn, in Creston, thinking I was turning on to 3A. I found myself going up a dirt road with steep switchbacks and thinking nyou guys are FAR MORE MANLY than I and I was turning around and a guy came out from nowhere, atually there were some "houses" along the track. When I asked him if it was 3A, he laughed and said No.
    He directed me onto the real 3A. I had rain off and on, nothing to spoil the riding, but enough to stop thoughts of taking photos....couldn't see any distance for more than a few minutes, then raining again. Some construction, not bad at all, from Balfour to Kaslo---which looks to be a cool town. On to New Denver--another cool little town, then SUNSHINE and views of the big ass mountains, solidifying the reasons I took this ride! I had sunshine all the way to Nakusp where I am staying.
    Great ride that! Loved it.

So, today it's up to Revelstoke, then I want to see the falls in Yoho, but to do it this afternoon or tomorrow? looks like a distance from revelstoke, if that's where I stay??? The alternative is to not stay in R,stoke, but head to falls then down to Radium Hot Sprngs. But that looks like it's too long.
    I think the weather yamalama referenced above may have changed??
    So, over breakfast I will think of skipping Rad Ht Sprngs, going from RevStoke to the falls tomorrow am, then turn left up icefields to Jasper??? then down heading toward Kamloops and then the coast and VI.

Any thoughts appreciated and THANKS for all the great tips and suggestions

Gotta look at my brake pads. yesterday afternoon I started hearing them squeal a bit, but the bike is so dirty that I thik it could be some dirt in there rather than wearing out.

John
  16. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    Did 6 today, great road. Lots of deer, including a momma deer and her two fawns...mom crossed in front of me and fawn number 1 started to, then thought better of it and scurried back. Did reqy=uire some heavy braking, but not much more than that.

Going to try to get to Takakkaw Falls tomorrow, but after that? Radium hot springs? toward Jasper? Not sure, but if y'all have any insight or suggestions please jump in.
    Thanks again for all the advice...finally sunshine all day long!
  17. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    so Wednesday morning and this plan is brewing.
    Leave Revelstoke, head to Takakkaw Falls, then Peyto Lake, time permitting, night in Radium Hot Springs, and re-eval direction after than. Could as originally planned head up and left, west, from Jasper, or, instead, from radium Hot Springs to Kamloops/Cache Creek, though not real crazy about TC1.
    we'll see.
    BTW the "squeaking" in the brakes has disappeared. The rear pads look a bit thin though they were replaced 13k miles ago. Will just keep an eye on them, probably replace or at least pull to inspect, when home. Good for now though.
    filterx likes this.
  18. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    Made it to Takkakaw Falls, managed to tipover on the last lacet on the way down...those are some tight hairpins!
    Then to Peyto Lake, and spending the evening in Radium Hot Springs.
    I think tomorrow in the direction of Kamloops, maybe Cache Creek, then heading to Vancouver island
    yamalama likes this.
  19. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's great that you are taking each day as it comes. And if you miss something on this trip it just means you have to come back again.

I assume you are going to take this route from Cache Creek to the Horseshoe bay ferry.

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 9.21.41 AM.png
  20. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    looking good. needs more pics. : )
    what is your destination on Vancouver Island?
    gonna camp? stick close to the ocean?