BC advice please

Discussion in 'Canada' started by JayElDee, Feb 8, 2019.

1. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, I made it home just in time for thestormthatwouldhavebeenBarryiftherewereastorm. What a cornucopia of hype, hysteria, dread. At my house thus far I've had about an inch of rain...no wind, yet Al Roker was telling people to evacuate, or plan to, even if the Mayor disagrees with Al, after all he is on NBC in New York. Weather fear mongering at its absolute worst.

But I digress.
    Yes, Fatallybitten, that is the route I took, unfortunately it was in cold rain with a fogged visor (despite Pinlock), still...what a fine road!
    I managed to do everything I planned without issue. I had a tipover on the way back down from Tekkakaw Falls on the lowermost switchback, but I was going very slowly and other than a damaged lens for the front blinker and a cracked cockpit winglet on the right, no problem.
    What a remarkable place! the roads were great, but to be honest, there are some equally good roads in Cali and Arkansas, But, what BC has is drop-dead gorgeous scenery! Man. what a visual delight! Favorite road??? hard to say and I wish the Sea to Sky would have been dry, but, having said that, two roads stood out as I was riding them and, considering all the parameters that go into rating roads, they were The Pacific Marine Road across Vancouver Island--where I think I saw a bear--something big and black rustling in the trees/bushes at the side of the road--and Washington hwy 20 through the North Cascades. Just wonderful, the stuff of motorcycle dreams.
    I also really liked BC6 from Nakusp to vernon and the road from Revelstoke ( a very cool little town) to the Icefields Parkway.
    I do want to add a couple of roads in Colorado I took on the way back, roads I have done many times before, but they are not mentioned in reporting of Colorado roads--a severe overlook in my view--and they are Co114 and CO12, both on the way from Gunnison to Trinidad.

One of the few bummers of the trip and this was minor, was the CA crossing guard at the border at Roosville. He was kind of a dick. I asked him if he could speak a bit louder, he was in an enclosed booth not looking at me, cars were around, my engine was turned off, but my helmet and ear plugs were still in. I aksed saying "I'm sorry, I still have my earplugs in." His response was a very snarky, "No shit! You should have taken them out." Yeah I should've, but I didn't think of it, though with each crossing or ferry crossing I did subsequently. It was just his 'tude that was a pisser. So, when he handed me back my passport, I asked, "So, we're cool?" He actually broke a smile and said, huh? I said we're cool? and he said, yeah we're cool. So, that bumming lasted about 10 minutes then "Wow, I made it!" took over
    So, that, and the tipover at Tekkakaw, and the unfortunate rain on Sea to Sky were the only hiccups on what was an epic trip. Around 7500 miles, bike was stellar, big heat crossing Texas, like 105+ for hours...as high as 108--that was brutal, but not what I will remember. I will remember how beautiful BC is and the gracious help the inmates here offered.
    No fires.
    My route is attached, 24 days total, 8,9 days in BC/Vancouver Island. Motel accomodations were no problem, even on Canada Day or July 4th...PS, I wanted to meet up with you guys along the way, but weather and timing conspired against
    And I hate Garmin software more than ever.
    Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 5.11.52 PM.png
    Bayner, devildogg and shuswap1 like this.
  2. chevmekanik

chevmekanik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I for one am glad you were able to make the trip! Even as a resident here I am still exploring this incredible province. Your condensed trip is sure to leave you with memories for when you can no longer ride.
    Feel free to return and spend longer here and hang out with some of the inmates who I can guarantee would be happy to show you what you missed this time around.
    Cheers!
    yamty175 likes this.
  3. JayElDee

Oddometer:
  4. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back in the day, when I was a kid living in Field, about a hundred years ago :-) The buses would have to back up that switch back, too tight to make the corner. They've fixed it a bit since then but it's still nasty.

Sounds like you had a great trip. I think the Canadian border guards do that on purpose, I've had them do that several times. Irritating
  5. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    maybe they're upset they don't have a better assignment. The experience I had going around Lake Superior and arrival on Nova Scotia at Yarmouth was very different, smiling and very friendly. Roosville and West Lyme (south of Winnipeg) were the bitchy ones (both male)
  6. shuswap1

shuswap1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Border guards are quite unpredictable. Probably 5 years ago we had so many bad experiences entering the US I was close to quitting travel south altogether. But the last 5 years have been amazing, treated very professionally and with friendly courtesy. We have run into one female guard coming back into Canada that is simply nasty, every time. I sure hope she doesn't ruin too many visitor's experience, she certainly tries very hard to do just that.