1. eNewsletter Sign Up

BC advice please

Discussion in 'Canada' started by JayElDee, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    With a mostly paved route you wont have to deal with waiting for mountain passes to melt as they are always open. It may still be cold at elevation but anytime after the May long weekend should be safe for travel.
    Even in peak tourist season i have had no difficulty with the road sections even on the TransCanada highway etc. It just requires more patience and care. Don't be hesitant to come when it works for you.
    Steve G., Cowgirl and JayElDee like this.
  2. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know exactly what you mean. We were out in Big Sky last august, then drove down through Nevada---smoke was oppressive, obscuring, dropping flakes of ash. In a car then, but I understand being open on a m/c would be far worse.
  3. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha man I was coughing and tears were streaming when I was in the Osoyoos area. It was brutal. The sky was almost like night time at noon. Had to completely change my trip plans and head north. Then got stuck in a thunder storm and in an endless line of traffic because of two road closures due to landslides. Ended up breaking out my backroads mapbooks and wound my way through forest service roads. After 19 hours I ended up in wells gray park and went fishing there for a few days. Was an awesome trip in the end!
    bobw, JayElDee and Steve G. like this.
  4. Cowgirl

Cowgirl I'll ride anything. Supporter

Oddometer:
    What he said.
    bobw, Steve G. and JayElDee like this.
  5. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    bobw and Steve G. like this.
  6. JayElDee

Oddometer:
  7. Flying_Celt

Flying_Celt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you come across to Vancouver Island from Nanaimo/Horsehoe Bay I’d suggest taking the long way into Victoria. The Pacific Marine Route is an epic ride - Duncan - Lake Cowichan - Port Renfrew - Sooke - then Victoria (via the Esquimalt Lagoon). It’s paved - remote winding roads.

https://www.hellobc.com/road-trips/pacific-marine-circle-route/
  8. crash111

crash111 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Lycan was camping at Toad Rock on your recommendation for OP? I've had such great experiences there.
    knight likes this.
  9. bentlink

bentlink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lycan1’s route covers the best of Destination Highways maps. And that is some of the best in BC. I have done all these routes and they rock.
    IMHO I don’t think the timing between June to mid-Sep matters... full of other visitors enjoying the BC beauty!
  10. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Great place and Mary is very nice.
    They have put up rain shelters in most sites now. Just bring earplugs as the open air bar rocks into the early morning.

knight likes this.
  11. filterx

filterx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are coming through Squamish let me know if you want a place to stop for a night :)
    knight, JayElDee and MikefromNL like this.
  12. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    Going to support what many said here, go for the Koots , spend a night at Toad Rock and head west. Be sure to take a 10 minute detour between Kaslo and New Denver to see Sandon, a ghost town with a large collection of old Vancouver trolly buses. It needs to be seen rather than explained (google can help tho).

Depending on your preference you either take highway 3 and wind your way to the south Okanogan and hit wine country, or go more north on highway 6 to the North Okanogan and then take the Duffy Lake route around to the coast before heading to the Island.

Vancouver Island is where I live so I can speak for it. There's no problems with hills in Vic, and it's a pretty little city worth spending a day being a tourist in. If you head up Island be sure to take the OLD island highway (19a) once you get near Parksville, it's much more scenic. You can mostly avoid the main highway once you cross the Malahat (Stop at the viewpoints for wonderful views!) by taking side roads which I can direct you to later.

The "Renfrew Loop" could be taken on the return south of the Island when returning to Victoria;

http://tinyurl.com/y2wal8nh

The link above should provide you with an idea of the loop. It adds maybe 4 hours to the day, but keep in mind that Vancouver Island isn't all that big in many ways.

From there, if you want to avoid Vancouver there are ferries to Washington state, but I'd say you could still consider the Tswwassen-Schwartz Bay BC ferry. It's a major route, but the views are spectacular. Once off the ferry you can pretty much skirt your way south around Vancouver and into Washington state.

If you want more Island info, PM me and we can communicate more directly via email, skype or something.
    bobw, knight, JayElDee and 1 other person like this.
  13. caribooster

caribooster Not enough time...

Oddometer:
    The trip from Victoria to Port Angeles, Wa is a good ride and it will put you at the northern tip of the Olympic peninsula . From there you can begin your trip back home down highway 101 through some great riding country.
  14. Kemilss

Kemilss n00b

Oddometer:
    HWY93 goes from Kalispell through S.E. BC, then into Alberta through Lake Louise and up to Jasper. Incredibly beautiful the whole way. From Jasper you can head west back in to B.C. and take your pick of highways heading south, i.e. hwy 5, hwy 97, or as someone mentioned, the inside passage ferry from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy. You're likely to see some killer whales and humpbacks from the ferry. But honestly, you can't really go wrong no matter which route you choose. IMO the cascades highway through Washington state is worthwhile too since you mention the diagonal route back. Hope you have a great trip!
    JayElDee and edwin like this.
  15. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    So, it looks like it's shaping up to begin in mid June, probably take 6-7 days to get up there, maybe 5 days, 6 in BC and another 7 to get back. And I have some wiggle room. Does that sound about right? I know depending on the route I am taking to and from, but the "in BC," does 5-6 days do it some justice, or would that be rushed. I know some will say you can spend a lifetime, but I don't have that long. Should I plan for longer or would that do? What is the likelihood of freezing temps or snow along the route? Thanks for all the info...BTW does anyone know where Jin Martin, the host of Adventure Rider radio, is located?
  16. ToothDocJay

Oddometer:
    Honestly, doing BC justice would take a couple of weeks depending on how long you ride every day.

A week would allow you to do the Kootenays to the Island, but not a lot of time to stop and smell the roses. Then again if it's more about "the ride" you will still see some wonderful stuff.

Last two years I've been riding from the Island to the Koots, a bit of Montana and back and I took about 12 days (with a couple days stop-over at relatives in the Okanogan).

Simply put, you won't regret a week, but will want to come back for more.
  17. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    But then you need another two weeks to do 16 and The Stewart-Cassiar. And Stewart/Hyder and the Salmon Glacier might be the best view in all of BC. And then you need to go to Liard Hot Springs! And it goes onandonandonandon.
    I figure it's going to take me 5 years of living here (this will be year 2) to ride everything I want to- that's at about 3 weeks a year of riding trips averaging 600km/day.
    Steve G. likes this.
  19. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    skirting around Vancouver? why? it's a great place to visit. park the bike, explore via transit.
    here is an urban camp spot within walking distance of Stanley Park. http://www.capilanoriverrvpark.com
    knight and Steve G. like this.
  20. ToothDocJay

Oddometer:
    Tis true, Vancouver is a beautiful City. I'd hazard a guess and say that the rule "why ride in a city when you can drive around it" is in effect. City driving is just not "fun".