BC advice please

Discussion in 'Canada' started by JayElDee, Feb 8, 2019.

1. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
    Again, thanks to all. I looked into flying the bike up to Calgary, but that's not going to happen...USA rules and regs re dangerous cargo. So, it will be a ride. I've ridden Montana/SD a few times, and much of Wy, lots of Colo, some OR and WA and ID. I've done Glacier, Lolo, Little Bighorn and the Bighorn Range, Devils Tower, Custer State park, etc. Done the PCH and 101, Great Basin, the Utah parks. So, in short, i am familiar with the west, and the only day I dread of the ride is the first day, ie out of NOLa and as far west/north I can get, I'll probably leave around 4am and stop mid afternoon, maybe to repeat that the next day. So the ride up to AB/BC will be old, though pleasant, news. I actually like riding in KS and NEB! Something spiritual about that. Or maybe it's just monotonous. 8)
    You got that right! I refer to them as Les Bussards, pronounced "Buzzards." Been to Moab twice, once with and once without aforementioned...all the difference in the world.

It sounds like there will be enough in the southern part of BC to keep me very interested. I am planning on entering south of Calgary, the SE and then exiting SW. yes, I looked at WA highways...I see WA 20, and just eyeballing from 2800 miles away, looking at 20->153->17->23??? and visit the Palouse (again...a truly beautiful area--was on Steptoe Butte at dawn...remarkable), and then find my way down south, NV? UT? Co, etc.

Have cold and warm weather gear, including electrics. GPS, SPOT Smartphone, extra gas and the bike will be tip top. Dealing with the heat on the way back may be an issue, but I have a cooling vest I could take.

So, with that, what would be some places to base out of for 2 or 3 nights, chilling a bit, worthwhile scenic not overloading day rides?
  2. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    knight and MGV8 like this.
  3. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want to see Happy , you need to go to Toad Rock
  4. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    :1drink

understand, but I do not prefer communal sleeping.
    I want plumbing, like a shower and a toilet.
    The mileage is ordeal enough, when I stop, I want to be able to rejuvenate. Hot shower private bathroom. I fully understand that I may be a wuss, and others have different prefs.
    That said, there is nothing but good things said about ToadRock, but these bones want something more; plus, I am not carrying any camping stuff.
    And Chill is a relative term. By it I mean, nice day rides for which it is not necessary to awaken before dawn, pack, load, hit the ground running. A ride starting about 9a, about 6 hours, maybe 250-300 miles and back at the base by 3-4p, to have a nice single malt, put my legs up and smell the mountain air. It could mean to take a day off the bike and hang out on two feet rather than two wheels.
    So, something commercial in a real town (few and far between, I get it) may fit the ride better.
    bobw, shuswap1 and Steve G. like this.
  5. H96669

Oddometer:
  6. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    If you talk to Mary they even have tents set up with beds in them, so minimal/no Camping gear needed. There is a communal washroom/shower/laundry areathat is kept very clean and well designed.

If you are near Cranbrook, we always stay at the Lazy Bear Lodge. https://www.lazybear.ca/

Clean, reasonable rates and they give all motorcyclists an ice cold beer when they check in. Check for their "We HEART Motorcycles" banner when you are looking for them

For Salmo: Sal-Crest Motel 110 Motel Ave, Salmo, BC
    Run by a nice young couple and very clean.
    knight and JayElDee like this.
  7. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

I completely understand your needs, as a fellow senior-ish person. The unique wants and likes amongst us motorcyclists are vast and varied. Hence, campsites, rough camping, and hotels to suit all our varied needs.

Whilst I’m very aware of Toadrock campsite, having camped there myself, I feel the need to point out that , as you point out your preference to paved roads, that this campsite is in the centre of the apex of street riding in Canada. I cannot underestimate this fact. Accommodation in The town of Kaslo , New Denver, and Nakusp are worthy places to stay for the night. Kaslo is best . As well as street canyon riding of high order, this area of the West Kootenays is the highest concentration of natural alpine hot springs in North America. Ainsworth Hot Springs ( 1/2 way between Toad Rock campsite and the village of Kaslo), Nakusp Hot Springs ( olde school establishment 6 miles up an epic canyon road, paved), and for true
    Luxury, Halcyon Hot Springs for pure accommodation luxury, about 20 miles north of Nakusp village. Definitely take your swimwear!!!

While riding in this area, just
    Out of Kaslo village, you must take an hour 2 to check
    Out the living gold rush ghost town of Sandon, just outside of Kaslo. Still after 100 years and 3 devastating floods, the prime electricity generator of Kaslo and New Denver. A step back in time, used to be the biggest town north of SAN Francisco, now 5 live there.
    GreatWhiteNorth and JayElDee like this.
  8. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    you know you're getting successful info when you can "go in the weeds" and ask this:
    Everyone talks about the hot springs...MAN! that sounds wonderful (can one 'chill" in "hot" springs? resounding YES). Does Kaslo offer that, or other places that do in that area? I want to walk from my room to soak in hot springs...is that doable or does that mean big bucks? There's a place in Montana outside of Yellowstone that has such, Chico hot Springs--and a nice restaurant; Been there 3 times I think and love it.
    in mid summer are they totally booked weeks in advance or would a couple of days, or even a day notice be enough notice?
    Steve G. likes this.
  9. ToothDocJay

Oddometer:
    There are hotsprings all over the Koots. google Kootenays hotsprings.
  10. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    About every 2-3 years, I host an IPA beer tasting tour [of course, the IPA judging is done at the end of the riding day] , and a Hot Spring tour of the PNW, mostly BC, ID, and WA. Ainsworth Hot Springs in BC is my favourite, [around 15 minutes epic motorcycle road south of the village of Kaslo], for their particular unique geographic nature that they have. Very much worth a stop, and have onsite lovely accommodation. Ainsworth is a step up IMO, with natural cave water spring emission, warm, and extra warm water options as well as glacier water pool direct from glacier 5000 feet above, and sheer overwhelming views from rooms, restaurant, and poolside. Halcyon is lovely, cool little mini cabins you can rent. 1 minute walk to pools, 2 minute walk really nice onsite restaurant. Nakusp Hot Springs is classic old school, casual, quiet, literally in the middle of virgin 300 year old forest. I'm can't recall on their accomodation,,,,,I've been there dozens of times during the 25 year string of Italian [Laverda, at Wolfgang's Laverda haven] motorcycle rallies in Nakusp village, as well as the annual BC Beemers Rally, and Horizons Unlimited West Rallies continuing every summer.

SE BC https://www.ainsworthhotsprings.com/
    NW Idaho https://challishotsprings.com/
    SE BChttps://www.nakusphotsprings.com/
    SE BC http://halcyon-hotsprings.com/
    Within the Southwest Metro Vancouver area https://www.harrisonresort.com/

Remember, Canada is 35% on sale discount. Big bucks? I don't know. It was worth it every time I've been there!!
    GreatWhiteNorth and JayElDee like this.
  11. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    A cabin at Toad Rock was $50 per night last year ,call ahead as the cabins fill up fast

There is a clean wash house with flush toilets and private hot showers

You will find bbqs ,coolers ,fridge , Ice machince ,tools and a covered lift to use And some nights the best live music you will ever hear

There is a truck and trailer and knowledge of others everywhere in BC,AB and PNW to help you out of a jam while you're on your way

There is also a sign at Toad Rock the reads "No stupid people allowed" , so we'll understand if you decide to stay elsewhere
  12. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude, what’s that supposed to mean?
  13. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A sign that is designed to assist folks to filter themselves? I laughed...hopefully the OP sees it that way also.
  14. ToothDocJay

Oddometer:
    The sign is just a joke. They've allowed my friends multiple times over the past few years!
    knight, JayElDee and shuswap1 like this.
  15. H96669

Oddometer:
    Steve G. likes this.
  16. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    yeah, I did, too...I've seen worse, and still laughed, though maybe a fool's laugh
    shuswap1 likes this.
  17. H96669

Oddometer:
    Stay out of my shop.....!:evil

20190318_114906.jpg
    JayElDee likes this.
  18. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief

JayElDee, I'm not a young'un myself anymore, but I DO still like camping, won't hotel/motel it unless I'm hypothermic freezing wet & cold type of thing... but you owe it to yourself to check out Toad Rock. Seriously. It's that cool an experience. Same goes for Ainsworth Hotsprings up the road. I'll back up Steve G here - the riding around that area is fantastic. The Kaslo to New Denver bit in particular is one of the best, is listed in Destination Highways: http://www.destinationhighways.com/default.htm

Steve is bang on about checking out Sandon, and, from there you can ride darned near all the way up to Idaho Lookout:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attracti...Sandon_Kootenay_Rockies_British_Columbia.html

This is bucket list stuff IMO. The land of Kokanee beer and BC bud (wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more, say no more) ...check out Nelson!
    Steve G., knight and JayElDee like this.
  19. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    that IS funny.

Note: the sign is Made in China where the punishment for sarcasm is death. jus' sayin'

I'll think about it, but I don't like camping...it's not just the lack of "facilities" or the potential of being a warm dinner for a grizzly, it's the time it takes out of the day and all the extra stuff that I feel I need to pack. The Toad may leapfrog over those concerns. I will agree that there's a back to nature, fresh air aspect that is lost at the Motel 6, but that comes at a cost. It's a tradeoff that I prefer to lean the other direction.

Yes, re Steve's recs, they will be written in ink. I fully agree this IS bucket list stuff, and that is exactly what this is. It was either BC or PEI. I did Cabot Trail over a year ago, and then Lake Superior. Something tilted me to BC over PEI, though that will have to await another year. I much prefer riding the west and the midwest to the East, though I like NE, NY, PA. But, on a ride to Wisconsin in the fall I found it getting harder to do the trips, because they are work! Long days in the saddle, etc, can be a challenge as one ages---it just becomes harder to do. I train before all of these long rides because I know I will get out of shape by the time I return. I try to stretch and walk, but still it's hard and getting harder. So, it seems my bucket is not as big as it used to be. Still, looking forward to this adventure, it will be one whether I stay at Toadmotel or not.
    Re the road up to Idaho Lookout, it sounds like the road up Mt Washington, so I may opt for the shuttle then hike. It does look beautiful though and I am sure pictures do it no justice.

Again, thanks to all for the shared enthusiasm and information. Psyched!

John
    bobw, Steve G. and GreatWhiteNorth like this.
  20. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good eats at BettyOs
    And you can sit and watch all the bikes heading to Toad Rock too