BC advice please

Discussion in 'Canada' started by JayElDee, Feb 8, 2019.

1. CaribooBC

CaribooBC life is an adventure

Oddometer:
    I would hit the interior of BC first, get it done before fire season really kicks in and if the smoke does get bad early, you can do a quick bug out to the coast and Vancouver Island.
    2017 was one of the earliest fire seasons on record and the fires that year started on July 6th. By the July 7th I was on Evacuation Alert, we stayed at alert until Aug 30 when we went to Evacuation Order til Sept 11. We finally went all clear on Sept 21st. one of the longest ever mobilization or our Emergency Support Services. My wife was a volunteer for ESS and still suffers from the ordeal. She was helping those evacuated and could not do much to help ourselves when we were ordered out. We had one complex of fires that was over 1.2M acres. The fire that ended up about 2.5 miles from my home was 475,000 acres.
    Typically August is the worst month for fires and smoke, but we are being warned to expect earlier and more severe fire seasons due to global warming.
    JayElDee likes this.
  2. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks, yes that looks good!

I will be there around Canada day, but right now rooms are ava. I will probably not know my itinerary until a day, or maybe maybe 2, beforehand...hope that does not prove to be a problem
  3. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    They also have a great roast beef buffet every Friday, $14 for all you can eat ,get there early if you want a table
    yamalama and JayElDee like this.
  4. nvdlboy

nvdlboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Vancouver, BC (right beside the forest)
    In my experience, I’ve hit snow in WY and MT in mid June, but B.C. has typically been ok... well except when we got trapped in Whitehorse YT due to a massive mudslide and flooding on the Alaska Highway in June 2012.
    This year is projected to be a bad one for wildfires in the West.
    JayElDee likes this.
  5. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    We've already seen some fire activity south west of PG. The fire is contained now but a lot of the province west of us had a very dry winter. Its likely going to be a bad one again this year for fires.
    JayElDee likes this.
  6. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    what is PG?

sounds like a plan B should be considered? or just ride away from any fires---Duh, I know, but I should consider BIG detours.
  7. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:

Prince George
    JayElDee likes this.
  8. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    You never know what you're going to get when it comes to fire seasons year to year. I wouldn't let it dissuade you from visiting. There's so much to see and explore you'll have plenty of fun even if there are some localized fires during your visit. Locals and the news media are very good at explaining where the fires are burning and if they pose a danger to travel. I'd just plan to come up here and not worry too much about the day to day itinerary, you'll enjoy it more with a loose plan...
    squonker, shuswap1 and filterx like this.
  9. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    Like a box of chocolates.

What you said is how I feel. I have a lot of emotional currency in this ride at this point, so I will head up and see what happens. I am not even considering not doing it, unless there's a hurricane bearing on my home.
    Cautious Optimism, but keeping an eye on things.

Thanks for the perspective
    Bayner and shuswap1 like this.
  10. CaribooBC

CaribooBC life is an adventure

Oddometer:
    Just try to get your Interior of BC travel done by about July 15 and you should be good. It’s really the last part of July and August that is the worst for fires.
    Steve G. and JayElDee like this.
  11. Pekes1956

Pekes1956 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Jay, weather is perfect here - a little cool in early mornings but fabulous for biking. I took my bike on ferry to Tsawwassen (Vancouver) on Sunday and had to zip around to New Westminster, then hwy#1 to West Vancouver and back to North Delta and 7PM ferry to Victoria.
    You know, I often feel that I live in the most beautiful city in Canada, but Vancouver on a bluebird day is absolutely spectacular - stunning actually. Plus riding all around on a Sunday was a piece of cake.
    The ferries are another plus - last to arrive and first on the boat - no reservation required ...46 Canadian dollarettes. There's some great riding to do out here.
    JayElDee likes this.
  12. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Goodness, you’ve got me a bit worried. I’ll be up in your region early August, getting on the Aug 3rd Hardy-Bella Coola run, heading up
    The hill and up to Barkerville, then down the canyon. I was chatting to a friend who, after 18 years is moving back to the eastern valley (Hatzic) from Kamloops. Partly because of family, and also because of how Kamloops’ ‘bowl’ concentrates any smoke from any fire that is happening anywhere in that region. He said last 2 summers, he hasn’t been able to see his neighbors house across the street.
    Anyways, I’m committed. If there’s a block of some kind east of Anaheim Lake because of fire, I’ll get up at 3 am and ride around it. I’d ridden through forest fires in eastern Wa, Cal, and Or, fire right beside the road, flames whipping overhead, on my 40 yr old Norton. Just frickin go.
  13. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    Right, agree.
    Play it by ear, nose to the ground, be aware, etc etc etc
    Damn, Kamloops is in a bowl?. Worrying about it now does no good, though. Que sera, sera...Doris Day.
    I am still psyched. If it goes to Plan B or C or M, it will still be an adventure and better than not attempting it. From where I am the alternative big ass trip was Prince Edward Island. I have all the maps from a cabot Trail ride I did 2 years ago. If the map of the west is grey from serious health hazard smoke, and I am sure the inmates un there will keep this thread posted, I can do that (PEI), but by far the preference in BC and VI
    Steve G. likes this.
  14. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    That's the nice thing about BC, if you have to detour you can pretty much count on it being a nice detour.
    JayElDee and Steve G. like this.
  15. Steve G.

Oddometer:
    I might need a hand on a detour from Bella Coola to Williams Lake.
  16. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    Steve G. likes this.
  17. Steve G.

Oddometer:

Cool. I was thinking a solid forest service road out of the Bella Coola valley up onto the Chilcotin plateau, if there’s some kind of official road blockage at the bottom of the hill east of Haggensbourg.
  18. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Your pretty much stuck on the hwy from the bottom of the hill to Tatla Lake, there are offshoot roads, but none that connect to the network of Plateau roads.. At Tatla lake you can do a long backroads loop all the way to Pemberton.. We used to nip out to the hwy for Gas at Lees Corner, but with that gone we stay on gravel relying on Dog Creek and Nemiah Valley for gas..
    Steve G. likes this.
  19. tbas3

tbas3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm from the east coast of Canada but I did live in BC for a few years and rode through it on my motorcycle a few times. I'm not a city person although I did live in a few of them over the years. Avoid the cities and BC is all good. The entire province is amazing if you like the outdoors. The places that stand out for me in particular are the Cassiar highway and Stewart. If you can get to Stewart take the road through Hyder its a gravel road. It goes along a mountain and has incredible views. If you are there at the right time of year you can stop in Hyder and watch the grizzly bears catching salmon. In my time in BC there is not one time that I went for a long drive and did not see something amazing.
    Steve G. and JayElDee like this.
  20. bambr

bambr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FYI - 7 days from Vancouver to NOLa.
    6 if you in want a bit more speed, I did it twice.