BC advice please

Discussion in 'Canada' started by JayElDee, Feb 8, 2019.

1. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks, that is what I was figuring, and prob 6 from Nelson to NOLa.
    I am starting to pack things in my duffel now, to avoid a last minute late night getting stuff together. I still don't know if I will go up via Kalispell to BC/AB/MT border or return that way. I probably don't have to really decide until I cross the River at Baton Rouge, then N? or W? I will be looking at the temps/weather, finding a place with fewer tornadoes or triple digit temps.
    Question is to take all purpose 3 season jacket (fall winter spring) or my summer air flow jacket and layers? BC temps will be 50s to 70s, maybe a smidge of 80s---that's my 3 season. Lower 48 temps could easily be hi 90s, and that's the airflow one. No room for both.
    Usage would be 7-8 days of 3 season, vs 14 days of S U M M E R. I know it will be HOT a lot of the time, and chilly some of the time, but I'd rather be hot than cold when riding.

Route question...between Vancouver Island and the UT/WY border, what route did you take? I am looking to somehow fit WA20 in, and then SE, Palouse? Rattlesnake Grade? . I've done both and Lolo and some of ID, IOW I am familiar with the area, but not so much that some advice wouldn't be welcomed. Thanks
  2. bambr

bambr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you want to cross the mountains - right?, so no matter where and what - it WILL BE cold, I guarantee.
    from Baton Rouge first night could be in Texarkana next keep toward Tulsa - Wichita - Denver and try to avoid big cities with crazy-nobodycares traffic. Try Yellowstone direction (to be in the park mid-week only!) - it's worth to see it once.
    you can take 90 or 84 - both are nice.

ps. I'd definitely won't go through Seattle and took ferry Port Angeles- Victoria - Nanaimo - Vancouver.
  3. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    right, re mountains, may not be cold, but certainly can be and with rain, and since I favor the backroads, cold may be greater...so you are saying take the 3 seasons jacket and deal with the heat, if I read you right?

My plan is taking two different routes, one more to the west, TX, NM, CO, then either UT/NV/ID/WA or CO/UT/ID/OR,WA---that's one limb. The other will be LA,TX--stopping for night in Paris,Tx--/OK/KS/NE/WY/MT

Do not want to do the eastern slopes of the Rockies, would prefer the N/S CO state roads like 145 or 141 or 550 or similar, getting to them via CO 12 (a GREAT road). Planning on ferry, both Anacortes to Vict and Nanaimo-Horseshoe Bay, or vice versa. Avoiding Yellowstone at all costs, may hit Glacier in CA, but not US--BTDT.
  4. bambr

bambr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right. I'd keep mesh jacket for Louisiana. I was riding HWY 6 (Tonopah) in early August and it was windy & damn cold in the mountains. Actually, +14C(57F) (sometimes) in BC with rain also unpleasant
  5. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    yeah, mesh jacket is going to stay home, Ill take a cooling vest with me, though it doesn't work so well when the humidity is up there. I can freeze it overnight. I did that for Death Valley and it helped.

If you were riding from NV that's a vastly different route:-) than from out of the swamps. Love NV btw the way...beautiful state
  6. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    So, a month from now I'll be on the road heading to ... something. I am at the dotting Is and crossing Ts part. I have to do a 12k service on my bike before I go, but since it is not officially due, I am trying to put it off, until maybe a week or two ahead to get some more miles in. Also. looking at tires. I probably have about another 1000+ miles on my rear, so thinking about where to get it done on the road or just do it here before I leave and not worry about it. Neither of these are big problems or concerns.
    I bought a "Dirt Napper" lifting device ( promoted on advrider) as insurance if the bike takes a "nap." Need to check with Geico, my insurance about coverage, and I have roadside assistance, in CA. Need to check on health insurance also, just in case I hurt myself picking up my fallen, nahhhh, not going to happen, think positively!

I will be leaving home in sweltering humid summer, traveling to where there is snow at the side or on the road, so layers are the rule.

Damn! that looks beautiful !

so, what is the etiquette for that? If there is a line of cars awaiting to board, do I pass them, wait my turn? And if the ferry already has its load of cars on board, do I just maneuver to the head of the line to get on board? Are there attendants stationed at the beginning of the ramp that will direct me?

That's why I carry three cameras, the big Nikon in the topcase, but a little Sony in the tank bag, and when that is a hassle, my smartphone---IOW I always have a camera handy

I know! y'all have been impressive with your suggestions and enthusiasm. IN fact, I've talked about the help I've gotten from here at work!

I will be giving Yellowstone W I D E berth; don't want to be anywhere close to Yogi Bear. It's beautiful to be sure, but a major PITA to traverse.

sounds like a winner!

Now that I am getting closer to leaving, and I am more knowledgeable about the plans from my research and the excellent help from y'all, I read through the thread again, and it makes far more sense. It could be the my route, if East to West would be cross into the area of the Kootenays, Kaslo, new Denver, Revelstoke then up to Icefields, Peyto Lake, Jasper, Lillooet, Whistler, Horshoe bay, Nanaimo, Victoria, then across at anacortes, WA 20, take a right at Idaho, then a left at Utah, and New orleans...or something like that.

Someone mentioned Hwy 16 up to Prince Rupert/ferry to Port Hardy and that got some attention, but it's just too much.

So, still a work in progress, but for the planning, the heavy lifting is mostly done...woo hoo.
    yamalama and Steve G. like this.
  7. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Regarding the etiquette for a motorcycle going to the main B.C. Ferry crossings, most all of them except the upper Central Coast, you get in line to the pay booth with the rest of the cars [there will often be several booths, indicated with good signage which booth to go for your intended destination] , you pay with CC or cash, the attendant will give you a boarding ticket, and direct motorcycles to go directly to the front of a certain numbered line, usually at the front of everyone else. Unless you show up late, with minutes to spare, motorcycles will be directed to an upper deck by parking terminal attendants [watch for them, and have your helmet ready to just slip on quickly] to go on 1st, and deck workers will direct you to the front of the boat. There is a special place on the big ships for motorcycles only, just off to the side of the outside row of the deck. If there are other local bikes lined up, follow them. Often there are no deck hands to show you exactly where to park the bikes. If you show up with mere minutes to spare, I've been told they will not board bikes OR cars now. If they do, they'll send you to the lower decks with the busses and transport trucks. and you'll be last off the ship.
    Upper and central coast is reserve only, as well as the southern Gulf Islands "milk run" out of Tsawwassen.
    As well, inland ferries in the southern Kootenays are run by Highways district, bikes are not allowed to jump the que. However, if the deck hands see you, they will usually wave bikes forward at the end of boarding to fill up unused small places at the back.

https://www.bcferries.com/travel_planning/maps/
    JayElDee and filterx like this.
  8. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Steve. Are the decks metal, wet and slippery, or something else? I certainly remember a sphincter tightening exit from the Portland, me, Yarmouth, NS ferry at 11 pm with wet sea fog. I was sure I would go down, but did not; Thank You, Jebus!
    Do the bikes need to be tethered down and are straps ava?
    Steve G. likes this.
  9. Steve G.

Oddometer:
    Yes they are slippery . No front brake aggressiveness. Often oil, antifreeze.
    JayElDee likes this.
  10. MikeRC

MikeRC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some other details our American friends are surprised about.

Try to have a chip-and-PIN credit card, it makes transactions for gasoline at the pump much easier. ATMs in Canada are chip-and-PIN only, you would have to go into a bank to use a non-chip bank (debit) card.

I can't stress enough making sure you have international health insurance and the Canadian coverage endorsement on your motorcycle insurance. Something as simple as an Emergency Room visit for a bee sting or scratched eye can be pretty pricey.

I now also carry evacuation insurance. A friend from Arizona had a slow-speed tip-over and dislocated his shoulder. He obviously couldn't ride his motorcycle home (although he could fly commercial). The evacuation insurance covered transporting his bike home!

Keep us updated, you might be surprised at the number of people willing to meet up for a coffee or bite to eat.

Mike
    Steve G. likes this.
  11. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    no worries regarding the bike safety on the ferry. smooth sailing as a rule. the wedge system works really well - back in tight to the rail.
    i've never seen a bike down on the deck - on a B C ferry.
    Steve G. likes this.
  12. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    don't understand. Wedge system? Do you mean lean the bike against a wall or a rail?
    Are vehicles exposed on the deck or in a covered area below decks?
  13. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    88EC4305-DF13-4678-8B9D-415AE92358F3.jpeg The wedge goes under your frame/foot rest opposite side to the kickstand. The staggered steps fit any kind of bike. Good system. They are readily available in the MC parking area.
  14. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:

The bikes back in on an angle. There are chocks. Leave your bike in gear.

You are at front of boat but covered .
  15. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    the pic? usually you are 20 feet further back - you can see the yellow rail in the background. i gotta use the 2 chock wedge system for my 12" ground clearance big bike.
    i've never seen a bike tethered - not that it's necessarily a bad idea.
    Bill 310 likes this.
  16. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    MC parking area on the ferry, ie near where you park, or in a staging area and you pick one up and carry in with you? And that, along with your sidestand will prevent tipover? There is a retaining strap pictured...yours or on the ferry?
  17. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks like a ferry on the coast north of Port Hardy or heading to Haida Gwi
    yamalama and Steve G. like this.
  18. 2wheellifer

2wheellifer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Believe mine was tethered Hardy to Rupert.
  19. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Mine was on the Hardy to Bella Coola. Still on the old Queen of Chilliwack at the time if I recall correctly. Old Norwegian fishing trawler originally.
    Steve G. likes this.
  20. Steve G.

Oddometer:
    I’ll be trying out their brand new shop this summer. I’ll bring pics to see how they strap down my reighlander.