BC advice please

Discussion in 'Canada' started by JayElDee, Feb 8, 2019.

1. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    They used to throw you 2 pieces of hemp and you strap it yourself..
  2. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember the big frayed mega ropes on the Isle of Man ferry back in ‘94. Utter frickin carnage crossing the Irish Sea.
  3. jasonmt

jasonmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Covered" depends what ferry you are on, this is the ferry betwixt Saltery Bay and Earls Cove (Sunshine Coast):

20180904_143918.jpg

[​IMG]
    yamalama and JayElDee like this.
  4. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just went through the thread and cut and pasted some of the recs to take along with me.
    The plan is still to leave NOLa early am 6/17. I have been going back and forth where to go first, but traveling from east to west seems to be what is floating to the top. I am hoping that I will beat fire season, and I have put together an itinerary, in general, that I think gets me to greatest hits yet offers a lot of flexibility in case/when detours are necessary. New tires will be mounted next Thursday (tourance Nexts), I need to change the oil, did a 12k service already and bike appears to be tip-top at just under 44k miles. I have my maps secured, started packing, swapped out to my bigger topcase, camera stuff collected, motorcycle garb is hanging near the bike, and it is mostly tieing up loose ends at this point... IOW I am beyond the point of not having enough time to get it ready. I will be ready.

So, assuming the weather in the US cooperates---and that's a big assumption, but lots of roads go to Canada--and assuming I travel east to west.
    Depart NOLa and make tracks, probably interstate, ugh, mostly, up into Arkansas beyond Texarkana and on Hwy71 north...I could do eastern OK to Kansas, or SW Missouri to Kansas---I'll decide that probably the day before. Then it's diagonally across Kansas and Nebraska on state highways/backroads and aim at Montana. Two options: Up through black hills, SD to WY then Montana, or from around North Platte, NE, head toward CO, then north through Wy to Montana. I've done the Black Hills route a couple of times, incl Devils Tower and Little BigHorn, I've done SE CO ( a LOT like Kansas). but not NE CO, so I may favor that, but weather will play a deciding factor.
    Cross Montana in the general direction of the AB/BC border
    I can cross the border at Roosville or south of Creston (Advice?) and then take a left on 3 going as far as 33 or 97 (Advice?) or, put another way, Osoyoos or Beaverdell--with the motorcycle cafe, eventually in the direction of Vernon.

After Vernon, it's 97A or 6/23 (Advice?) to Revelstroke, then east on TransCa1 to Yoho National park and the waterfall there, the south on 93 to Radium or Fairmont Hot Springs. Then north on 93 to Jasper, visiting Peyto Lake and Mount Edith along the way.
    After Jasper south on 5, via 16, and Kamloops, Cache Creek, and 99 to Horseshoe Bay and the Ferry to Nanaimo.

From there, 2 options: (Advice?)
    1--to Port Alberni then Tofino and back to Victoria
    2--Victoria and do a day trip to Tofino--though that seems a LONG day even on the longest day of the year.

From Victoria ferry to Anacortes then meander to WA20, maybe Hell's Canyon OR, and find my way back to the swamps, likely through Utah and Colorado, with maybe some NV in there (NV51 and Great Basin are gorgeous)

I think the above is a huge area and ambitious, and if I can do it, great, but it also offers lots of opportunities for detours and Plan B's, should the need arise. My time frame is open ended to some degree, and I have a loving wife at home who is on board with all this, though I really don't want to push the limits of tolerance. :cool:

the weather, road conditions, my condition, etc will play a role in this adventure and as i was reviewing the thread I could only nod in agreement at
    Yes, flexible and wander.

I've found that I usually have good luck when I really prepare, and y'all have made that possible. Terrific info and I am very thankful
    I have Lycan's gpx on my garmin.

I was thinking as I was going over all the advice and comments that this is "dart board" territory, You can throw a dart at the map and chances are you'll hit a good road. I am familiar with that cornucopia of fine roads. NW Arkansas is like that, almost every road is worthwhile, but BC is SO MUCH BIGGER.

This is going to be epic

Many many thanks!
    John
    MGV8 likes this.
  5. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    I hope you don't mind if I jump into your thread @JayElDee but I too would like some BC advice...
    I fly into Vancouver in about a month in just over 4 weeks, for a 6 week ride. So far I have the route sorted, bike sorted, hopefully. Plus all sorts of other stuff.
    What I don't have pinned down is cell coverage and post ride bike storage.
    Who has the best cell coverage, best price, for data and will I need a new SIM when I get to Alaska ?
    Also... anybody know where I can store my ride for about 10 months ?
    I've been in touch with Rising sun m/cycles who do storage, but I'm wondering if there's somewhere cheaperer?
  6. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Canadian cellular companies hold a relative monopoly, basically 3 or 4 companies. Canadian government regulations have helped to guard these companies from the big U.S. firms coming in and taking over. Price points for any cell usage will be the highest in the industrial world here. I'm a big Telus guy, taking advantage of this monopoly that Rogers, Shaw, and Telus have, by buying their stock over the years, the dividends I get basically pay for my phone/internet/home tv. I'm less well read on SIM cards, or coverage, but do know that packages are available to travel outside Canada.

How much does Rising Sun charge? You may want to try Burnaby Kawasaki, and EMS Services.
  7. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you have every thing in hand and it is going to be Epic! Just remember, our main highways are busy, the secondary ones not so much. Plus two of my favourite sayings are "take the road less travelled" and "not all who wander are Lost" Enjoy your trip
    JayElDee likes this.
  8. NW Coaster

NW Coaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    North Okanagan, BC (formerly North Coast)
    Your choice - I can't really recommend one over the other, though Moyie Lake is nice.

33 you're riding through more forest, with less viewpoints. It is less developed but will save you time on your route. 97 you will be going through more urban areas and about 2/3 of it is multi-lane, but through some orchards and vineyards and quite a bit of it is right along side lakes so there are views aplenty. Anarchist hill down into Osoyoos is a good example.

If you're pressed for time, go 97A, but if not, definitely go 6/23 as it's much better riding. It'll be quite a bit slower as you will have two ferry crossings (free). If you really have some extra time, consider going east at Nakusp over to New Denver, then take 31A (check out Sandon) over to Kaslo, then north on 31 back to Galena Bay. The section along Trout Lake is gravel but it's a numbered highway and is well graded, though narrow and twisty with few guardrails.

On your way from Revelstoke to Banff, consider checking out Emerald Lake, near Field. It's only about 5-10 min off the highway.

This was a week ago:
    [​IMG]

I can't help you with the Vancouver Island questions - I don't get there enough.
    Lycan1 and JayElDee like this.
  9. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    Not a bit. I have ATT... this is their coverage map.
    Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 2.13.57 PM.png
  10. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    I had a bit more of a search and Jeebus, I thought we got bent over for cell usage here. It appears Canadians have it much worse :viking I may just stump up the $20 p/w NZ for roaming.
    Rising sun quoted me $70 p/m for storage. Burnaby Kawasaki is a name I've heard on this subject before. I've got a couple of days in Vancouver so may swing by and see them. Will also check out EMS.
    Thanks

Hopefully we'll get away from main rds a bit. I'm just looking forward to getting up everyday and riding somewhere completely new. Got plenty of spare days in the plan for weather/breakdown/sightseeing delays, just in case we get lost :augie

:thumb
  11. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    only 1 - 2 days on the west coast of Canada?
    needs more, imho.
    it's a paradise, guaranteed.
    Steve G. likes this.
  12. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    Greetings... I took a break from giving my WR250R some mechanical love to stick my nose into ADV for the first time in a few years (since they F'ed up my user name; that's another story). So I don't know your whole story as I didn't devote the time to read the whole thread. But I do live between the southeast East Koots and Whitefish MT. So perhaps I can suggest some options for you, in random fashion.

Roosville crossing over Porthill crossing every day of the week as far as scenery goes. Creston to Cranbrook is boring in an area with so many mountains. Once over the border at Roosville, it becomes "how much time do you want to spend here?. Most riders opt for doing Redding Creek, renamed the Grey Creek Pass by gov't a few decades ago. Doesn't live up to it's reputation - when compared to what you ride by to get there.

If you have a day or two, ride the south country. There are multiple through routes from Elko to Fernie to Sparwood, through terrain that will remind you of Glacier NP. I may or may not have put the tracks up here yet, but they're available; pretty much all well maintained FSRs. If you do pop out at Sparwood, a ride up through Elkford up to Elk Lakes Park is about half slab and the last half FSR. That is not a through route, however (unless you want to go full ADV and single track over Crossing Creek to drop over into the Whiteswan area); that's an eye candy up and back. You're unlikely to see many people doing those FSRs.

So there you are on the Cdn side at Roosville going "Meh... no interest in this South Country stuff". Well, you can take a right when you T-bone the highway, cross the Elk River at the little gas station/mill town of Elko, then follow the road up to Morrissey - there's nothing there other than the name Morrissey. Back on to the slab for the few miles to Fernie, where many of the locals now are as weird as the Nelson crowd. Just outside of Fernie a few miles, if you aren't going to visit Elk Lakes Park, you can cut west and drop over Hartley Pass that will put you on the Bull River FSR at Sulpher Creek.

If you go left at that intersection, slab it until you hit the Wardner/Ft Steele turnoff just before the bridge at the Kookanusa Reservoir (or Kootenay River, depending on water levels). Nice quiet slab with the Front Range and Sisters to your right. Catch the very same Bull River FSR where it turns off to your right if you don't want to go the extra and check out Ft Steele and the steam locamotive, etc. Follow that along and you will come to the same spot on the FSR at Sulpher Creek. Keep going north son, and you will have more choices. Go left at Quinn Creek and you will ride more eye candy and drop down onto the Whiteswan FSR right at Whiteswan Lake. Go right, and you'll go past Monroe Lake and come out a few miles north of Whiteswan Lake - with more choices.

Ride the FSR out to the highway at Canal Flats; gas and food, and slab north to Fairmont and then Radium - the West Side Road is the slab less travelled. If you arrived via Quinn Creek, ride further up the FSR and you will be at the same junction as if you took the more common other route. Keep going north, you'll go through the BC side of the Palliser, skirting the Kootenay River along the way, and eventually come out on the slab on Settler's Road, about 20 miles inside Kootenay National Park from the park entrance at Radium.

Slab it from Radium to Golden, then west to Revelstoke, and then you can either continue west over Rogers Pass into the interior, or go south at Revelstoke and have lots of choices in how you want to go south through the Kootenay Lake area before cutting west into the interior/Okanagan.

That's the really rough idea of what's available here. I'm perpetually amazed at the flood of ADV bikes who flood through here each year and make a beeline for Redding Creek over to Kootenay Lake and ride by country that is ten times better for eye candy in relatively greater solitude, more mountains, more lakes, more rivers, etc. (not to mention some of the best flyfishing in North America).

Anyways, I have to get back on the wrenches if I'm going to get motoflyfishing into that very same Bull River/Elk River country on Monday once the Fathers Day craziness goes away. If you want/need some garage space, sympathy, or directions if/when you're in the Whitefish/Cranbrook areas while passing through, pop smoke and let me know. Email PM links are best.
    JayElDee and MGV8 like this.
  13. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    FYI,

Quinn creek has so many washouts over the last five years I wouldn't recommend doing it alone or until water levels are really low. You won't make it. I hear it used to be easy, and it is very scenic. I tried it once on the 990 all loaded up and alone. Got hung up on one medium sized washout and got lucky with SAR just happened along to get me out the easy way. They asked me WTF I was thinking.

Hopefully Andy will post a picture from the last time he did it. It would give you a really good idea of what I am talking about.

BC doesn't maintain FSR like the US does. Unless there is active logging, they let them go back to nature. They change so much in one season it can be shocking.
    JayElDee and Steve G. like this.
  14. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    Packed and choosing the way to get outta NOLa with the least rain, looks like heading north toward Mena, Ark may be best, but the weather is a crapshoot down here now. But a Texas route looks worse. So around 430 tomorrow I am pulling out.

I read Jager 1's description and it sounds "adventurous," and i get his enthusiasm. I obviously need to look at that next to a map, or with a gpx. I went to the link and it looks beautiful, but my GS probably weighs over 3x the weight of what is shown, and with NO knobbies, but 90/10 Tourance Nexts. And a 5'7" 73 year old.
    Still, lots of food for thought, so thanks Jager 1 for posting, and for the qualifying comments of Lycan.
    As stated earlier in the thread, if I find myself on something hard and well-graded, fine, but my preference, just for safety sake is pavement. I will have lots of solitude on this ride, just getting to BC and back. No matter how much time I spend, or where I ride, I will miss some of the eye-candy. I'm fine with that. It sounds and looks like BC has eye-candy out the wazou.
    shuswap1 likes this.
  15. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Have a safe and great ride and keep us posted when you get close. Lots of friendly people up here that will ride along, help out or just buy you a coffee. If you are near Calgary let me know.
    JayElDee likes this.
  16. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    The last time I was up there was about six years ago. Went up towards Alpine Creek for an overnight bowhunting trip. MOE closes the road during hunting season to protect the idiot outfitter who they allowed to build his guiding layout right beside the FSR. Dickhead. I think it's a safe bet the road is serviceable by truck up to the guide's little resort - just like the road as far as the guide's cabin is maintained up White Creek in the St. Maries. Funny how that works with MOF... there's nothing in their Commercial Recreation Tenures about either exclusive use or "BC taxpayers shall ensure you have a truck-capable road to your guiding outfit".

Quinn Creek really is scenic - moreso than the Munro Lake option and less traveled. I suppose I should take a poke up there to see for myself, although I try not to ride out and back routes. Haven't been up into the Palliser in a few years either, so maybe a few fuel blivets for the WR250R to sip from and maybe an overnighter. Last four years have been dealing with life happening, and I haven't done any riding at all; didn't even license the bike for two of those years, and the other two it was basically a commuter. Maybe there's some new road development worth poking my nose into

BC used to service the FSR's pretty good, up until the late 80's/early 90's. I went to represent our wildlife club at a meeting with MOE maybe about 12 years ago, it was about road closures for hunting (but no road closure if you weren't hunting). Anyways, the MoF guy there flat out told us he had nothing for a budget for road maintenance anymore, and because it was cheaper to decommission a road instead of maintain it, that was going to be their course going on forward. Which is why Ram Creek was closed after that minor washout, instead of being repaired.

Anyways, it's a trend that I doubt is going to reverse itself. Lots of money for foo-foo stuff at the Lower Mainland, different story out in the sticks if you want to stray of the slab.
    JayElDee likes this.
  17. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    Well, I get that. I'm a few years behind you, but 30 years of being in the jumping out of airplanes and humping heavy rucks business is slowing me down a lot as well. I ride like a granny these days because I don't bounce so well anymore and Vitamin I is my friend.

But, there's still lots of nice slab in there if you do find yourself loafing through the area after crossing at Rooseville i.e. the Wardner-Ft. Steele sideroad to Fort Steele. And while I saw your intent to stay off dirt if possible. Most of the FSRs I wrote about are usually plain old hard packed dirt once summer arrives. My old Airborne Brother arrived here on his supertanker, and we rambled around for a week, doing the Gravel Road Tourist and Motoflyfishing tour. He had no problem riding them with his ass planted on the seat and his feet flat on the pegs the whole way.

Food for thought if you think about a return trip sometime in the future. I haven't done much to develop dual sport gravel road trips out of Whitefish/Kalispell on the other side of the border - my riding there more is mostly off the cuff trips when I have a few hours to go riding.

His supertanker versus my little pony - taken just down the road from the house, when I took his ride for a spin before loading them up to leave, just to see if supertankers might appeal to me.

Nope... but it was a hell of a lot of fun in the twisties on Farm To Market Road.

1-IMGP8263.DNG.jpg
    JayElDee likes this.
  18. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    got out around 5a, a for a route and 500 miles later I am in Mena Ark, looking for the best route to incorporate the Talimena Trail and then start heading into Kansas, then NE/CO. Managed to miss the rain, completely, but the cloudy skies made the temps in the 70s
    Steve G. likes this.
  19. JayElDee

Oddometer:
    so far so good, in Columbus, Mt, now, Kalispell tomorrow.
    VERY windy esp in the afternoon, but have not had weather issues otherwise, Tried to do Chief Joseph and Beartooth today (done them both many times) Beartooth was closed at about 11 miles from the southern end, either construction or snow or both.

I was stopped for gas in Somewhere, WY yesterday, proprietrix of the establishment asked where I was going, then said that "Alberta's on fire." She also advised against any off road in her area because it has been getting so much rain. The rivers and streams are full and fast.

Bike performing fine
  20. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey John the weather here (near Fernie) has been cold with snow in the high passes, some of the back country high passes like Hartley pass may be a bit slick but if you cross at Rooseville or Creston and want to get to Vernon by far the nicest and twitiest route (if it hasn't been suggested) is from Creston go north on hwy 3A to Kootenay Bay and take the no charge ferry to Balfour continue north on 31 to Kaslo then west on 31A you will absolutely love 31A Kaslo to New Denver, if not sell you bike and get a car :) once in New Denver take Hwy 6 north to Nakusp and continue South west on 6 all the way to Vernon . There is a ferry crossing at Fauquir also free and a great restaurant at the ferry the Mushroom Edition just reopened used to be fantastic, I haven't been there this year. From the ferry Hwy 6 to Vernon is another of my favorite rides. All this is on tarmac but it is a great ride. Cheers be safe, I am in the area if you have any problems feel free to PM
    Steve G. likes this.