BC Backroads

Discussion in 'Canada' started by rrbarna, May 31, 2006.

1. rrbarna

rrbarna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be leaving for a 16-day trip from Toronto to BC on June 9th with my KLR and would like a link to a source(s) with a good list of BC/AB backroads and/or garmin GPS routes/tracks.

I was going to do this on my SV650 but figured it should be alot more fun on the KLR + the extra cargo capacity.

Barna
  2. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your best source for the most up to date info is the B.C. Government Ministry of Forests and Range. Their web site gives the latest conditions on every road. The latest info by print is the B.C. mapbooks, @ www.backroadsmapbooks.com . These books can be found at every BCAA [British Columbia Automobile Association], Chapters, Save-on Foods, and I think Safeway. You will have to buy a book for each of 5 different regions, bearing in mind that each region is equivalent to 1/3 the size of Washington state.
    My buddy just bought Garmin's latest mapping for GPS of B.C. forest service roads, but found it lacking.
    Ciao, Steve G.
  3. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    There are some maps and routes with pics so you can get an idea of what to expect. I'd do the southern route, Sparwood, Hartley Pass, Kimberly, Grey Creek Pass, Nelson, Kootenay Lake, Arrow Lake, Kelowna, Kettle Valley Railway, Brookmere, Boston Bar, Harrison Lake..... Lots of info right here in AdvRider GWN.
    Here's what the Backroad maps look like... I use both GPS and maps. If you get way way into the boonies, you need both.
    Have fun...ride safe.
    Stand Up
    [​IMG]
  4. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    The Backroads mapbook boys are now consolidating all their info into three editions. Vol 1 covers southern BC from the coast to the Alberta border. Vol 2 covers the Cariboo/Chilcoltin region from the coast to the AB border. Vol 3 covers the northern portion of the province, again from the coast to the AB border. There is a separate volume for Vancouver Island. Spend the extra couple dollars and buy the spiral bound editions over the stapled bound ones.
  5. TG6

TG6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BC has a dual sport site you might want to check out... lots of info and lots of local chapters to get info from... http://www.dualsportbc.com