BC Big Adventure Traily Alternate

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Fishnbiker, Jun 25, 2014.

1. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC

Way worse than me, but I just did the ride with a 70 year old who has a knee replacement. He was one of the guys who went up Yallocum and over China Head on a T800. He was 20 minutes ahead to reach the Big Bar ferry of the other guy who went with him who was 20 years younger.

I stopped trying to keep up with him for the rest of the trip - there was no way. He politely waited for me to catch up every once and awhile. When you ride with someone like that you realize you are such a NOOB:huh

Heal up man. You will ride differently when you get back on that bike next year.

J
  2. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    Ohh very most likely. Goes with the lighter gear concept methinks.

Also got myself set up with a new Avatar ... photo of a Mexican Indian I found outside my hotel sidewalk 9am on a Sunday morning ... 4 out a 6 pack of Tecates already gone. Seems to suit my lifestyle right now. [​IMG]

Full image at https://fishnbiker.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Motorcycle-Travel/06-Bike-Trip-Mexico/10805199_VzJkKX#!i=753351875&k=TrDMxZ3
  3. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    I finally got my photo uploading sorted. Some pix from the first stage of the ride ...

Anderson Lake Highline Road

[​IMG]

Anderson Lake near Seton Portage

[​IMG]

Nutsbucket coming down from Tyax Lake to Carpenter Lake

[​IMG]

Carpenter Lake at "Low Tide"

[​IMG]

Ryder & Fishnbiker at the end of the road on McGilvray Pass. Bridge washed out at 5,200ft

[​IMG]

Nutsbucket's Ural ... a new view

[​IMG]

Remarkably little damage considering it went down 80tft through the trees. Broken clutch lever, bent fairing & windshield, large dent in sidecar box. It ran over 400km the next day. Much more "Russian Tough" than I imagined.

[​IMG]

Photo op at Horseshoe Canyon

[​IMG]
  4. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    The next stage ... Lillooet to Williams Lake via Dog Creek Rd ...

Hwy 99, one of my favourite paved road stretches near Fountain,BC

[​IMG]

Fishnbiker getting a mug shot.

[​IMG]

OurBC decided to take over herding the cattle. Pavilion~Kelly Lake Rd.

[​IMG]

Lunch in Clinton at the pub owned by a friend, Mike Pryor, then off to the Fraser River.

[​IMG]

OurBC & Fishnbiker got to ALL these destinations in one day.

[​IMG]

High Bar Rd. Start of a 2,200 ft switchback drop, 1st gear & brakes the whole way!

[​IMG]

This section reminds me of the Copper Canyon in Mexico.

[​IMG]

Where we would be in a half hour

[​IMG]

This may qualify for a "Lonliest road" category. We passed only 3 vehicles in 180km.

[​IMG]

Lovely gravel cruising with some technical switchbacks.

[​IMG]

Gang Ranch Bridge on the way to Dog Creek.

[​IMG]

Spectacular scenery near Big Bar ferry.

[​IMG]

Next, onto Barkerville via Likely ...
  5. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    Now onto Likely & Barkerville ...

A "Likely" place to stop.

[​IMG]

The Caribou River at Likely.

[​IMG]

We arrived too early for lunch, even had to wait 20 minutes for fuel.

[​IMG]

Caribouu Lake

[​IMG]

Matthews River near Ghost Lake.

[​IMG]

Ghost lake loos very fishy. Must come back with more gear.

[​IMG]

Beautiful marshy area near Barkerville.

[​IMG]

A lunch stop in Wells.

[​IMG]

Next stop, Lillooet again ...
  6. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    Now we do the Texas Creek Rd to the Lytton ferry.

But first, a stop here to get some gift bottles for my wife

[​IMG]

Texsa Creek Rd 700ft above the Fraser River

[​IMG]

That little white spot is a mountain goat muching on a bush.

[​IMG]

More spectacular West Fraser scenery.

[​IMG]

For me this represents having completed every single crossing of the Fraser River, about 23 bridges & ferries in over 1,100 km.

[​IMG]
  7. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    Passing through Spenses Bridge, we go onto Merritt.

Lunch at the Packing House Cafe in Spenses Bridge.

[​IMG]

Grilled Brie, mushroom & pastrami on rye.

[​IMG]

The final leg, Nicola Connector Rd.

[​IMG]

More lovely scenery over the Nicola Valley.

[​IMG]

The ungrand finale to my ride. A moment's inattention got my bike stuck in the ditch with my leg caught under the saddlebag.

[​IMG]

On my way for X-rays before surgery at Royal Inland Hospital. Now home with a walking cast, no weight bearing for at least 8 weeks. This gives me oodles of time to investigate new bike farkles, Yippie!

[​IMG]
  8. hasenwerk

hasenwerk Long timer

Oddometer:
    So broke your leg with soft luggage... that's supposed to be one of the reasons to get it? How much worse do you feel you would have been if you had metallic boxes instead? Gotta love the rutted roads in this area. :cry
  9. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    Probably would have had my foot amputated. OUCH!
  10. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    Very hard to read the dark blue against the grey background. You might think of some brighter colour next time. Thanks
  11. Cavolina

Cavolina Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Holly crap Ken, just found this, get better soon
    Bruce
  12. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    Working on it now. Very boring though, just sitting on my laptop all day long. Need to get out soon.

Thanks
  13. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great pics.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery, Fishnbiker.
  14. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:

Yes completely normal. It took me a couple/3 of weeks to get the morphine and other drugs they gave me out of my system. I had to clear my lungs and I seem to remember I smelled weird too - I think that was the antibiotics I had to take afterwards. The lung clearing is due to the shallow breathing that the "the elixer of the Gods" gives you.

I was distracted for the first couple of weeks as we drove down the west coast to Oregon, but when I did get home the boredom was bad. I got pretty good a hopping around on one leg, you just have to watch that you don't overuse the good foot as if it gets damaged your F**k*d!!!!!!

They gave me a pair of regular crutches and I wore out several sets of ends using them - I think the rubber ends are made for people who don't really use them. I liked hopping down a hard-sand beach.....it was a good workout and the fresh cold air felt good in the lungs.

If you have someone on the inside of the med-system you might be able to get those crutches that grip your forearm and you will get to bypass rubbing the skin raw on the sides of your chest.

Drink lots, keep using the ice packs and get some exercise as it is amazing how quickly one can get out-of-shape.

Hang in there.......you will ride again.

J

PS.................oh yea be real nice to the wife (yes she is pissed at you and the bike) but you neeeeeeeed her now so a little sucking up will go a looooong ways!
  15. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    Had you taken the Chilko Newton road as far as the Chilko-Taseko Junction FS campground you would have seen this

[​IMG]
  16. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:

Did you venture past the closure sign?

That is where my riding buddy turned around................I never made it that far.

We stopped in at the local Forest Service Office on the way out of Alexis Creek to inquire about the road. Apparently the trail is "passable", but we did not ask specifically what that meant.

Anyways, it was more than what I was interested in tackling on my loaded bike on that day.

Like I mentioned to Ken earlier......................after you have broken a leg on your bike........you ride "differently" when you return.

I'll try getting to Chilko Lake from a different direction next year.
  17. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    Did not go any further. We'll take the cutoff near Tatla Lake next time
  18. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    She is my Guardian Angel, taking me 50 km to Courtenay today for a Vietnamese lunch, just to get out of the house. With a tensor sock & the air cast, For her, this is payback after caring for her several years after getting severe headaches from a fall on an icy sidewalk. I'm able to keep my leg down for quite a while before swelling becomes an issue.
  19. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:
    "I have to be quite careful on this, minimum 8 weeks NON weight bearing before re-assessing. No hopping for me, my left hip took a torque also & restricts what I feel like doing. I do my list of stretching excesses 3x daily. Now have oodles of time to search out bike farkles.

I have a 2 wheel /2 peg walker for in the house & a wheelchair for going out. Got a fanny pack strapped on to carry water bottle, a book, meds, etc. Standard crutches are for hitting the light switches."

OK...... now I understand the significance of your new AVATAR.........you are going to be out for some time!

[​IMG]
  20. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    OK, enough of feeling sorry for me. It's a self inflicted injury that will just take time.

OMS, what was your take on the Goldbridge area & your travels on the west side of the Fraser? There is still a small section between Big Bar ferry & the Gang Ranch bridge that is unknown to me. Still looking to cover it eventually as far as the Bella Coola road to the north. about 6 years back, some of us did a foray into the area northwest of Hanceville to Two Lake, looking for fishing holes. The terrain was quite flat with shallow lakes too weed filled for shore fishing. Mostly fresh ploughed mud & dry sand in that area, so we gave up trying to make headway at that time. Still, lots more to explore though.

BTW, where are you in Sask? The wife wants to take the truck camper back to the Yukon again for a couple of months next summer & we are talking about going east a bit before turning north (having done all the BC roads north). We'll have kayaks & fishing gear to entertain us. I would like to show her the Cypress Hills, the Maple Creek winery, & the Drumheller dinosaur areas in AB. Any other suggestions?