BC Big Trailie Ride 2

Discussion in 'Canada' started by dr650bc, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Stily1

Stily1 Ex-pat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok! Looks like I'm in! Now to see if there are any rooms left.......

Update: YES! Rooms are booked!

Oh, and see below for what happens with Pat Walsh Designs crash bars on a DL1000 when you trail brake too much in the rain into turn 1 at Mission......

oops
  2. SilverD

SilverD Tour guide

Oddometer:
    For a lowside in Turn one there, that's not too much damage, I'm impresed with those bars..... I wonder if my Givi's would fare as well.
    Bikes usually get hauled outa one looking worse.
  3. Stily1

Stily1 Ex-pat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hm....well, considering that I replaced Givis that had failed at the weld with the Pat Walsh set, and the Pat Walsh set is integral with a skid plate (and costs $300) I'd say no, your bike probably wouldn't have faired as well, but they'd be waaaaay bettern' nuthin'.

4. PacWestGS

PacWestGS Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer:
    Don't crash and you won't find out :lol3

See you around the beer pit. Look forward to it :1drink
  5. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you are going to be able to make the ride again this year. All your efforts in producing that excellent DVD last year was sure appreciated.

An engine and now crash damage. Not fun. Hope you didn't get any injuries.

See you in June,
    Manxman
  6. Stily1

Stily1 Ex-pat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Manxman. I definitely plan to film again this year, and I did take the hint from several people that actual personalities, and not just bikes, would make for a more interesting movie for some. Who knew? I wouldn't be too surprised if some others show up with camera rigs too, since I got a lot of interest after last year. We could have some real collaborative efforts!

As for my recent lowside at Mission, no injuries whatsoever, thanks. In fact I didn't feel at thing, which gives me some nice faith in my gear (within reason). My shoulder was sore the next day, but I think that was from hurrying and trying to pick up the bike the wrong way. I did get it up on the second try. (don't say it)

-Stily1

7. Stily1

Stily1 Ex-pat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    By my count, there are 14 riders who've stated they're attending this ride:
    dr650bc, Manxman, goat-boy, pacwestGS, bazzer450, BC-Bruce, Bario, DGK31000, GalacticGS, farmerger, sector, Stily1 (that's me), micatech man, and Bruno (via PM).

Any word from goat-girl? :ear

I understand Dirty Curves is a "maybe."

-Stily1
  8. Bario

Bario Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two more "possibles" at the shop yesterday. Still working on them.

Slug87 confirmed he is a go but needs to book rooms. Waiting to hear from KDT and another HP2 rider from the shop. Would be cool to have all 4 HP2 owners here turn up for the ride.

Bario
  9. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    I'm ridin' from June 20 to Sept 4 :lol3 :clap :eek1 :rofl :1drink :norton Yipeeeee!
    Any idea on room availability in Merritt / Oliver? Anyone leaving Kelowna early Friday?
    Anyone riding out from Alberta? I'm leaving Calgary Thursday early.
    I'll be heading south from Revelstoke
    [​IMG]

West side of Upper Arrow Lake
    [​IMG]

past Whatshan Lake
    [​IMG]

Then the twisties of HWY 6, turn south at Coldstream to Oyama.
    If 3 days of riding isn't enough, I'll be lunching at Revelstoke Golf Club around 11:00 Thursday if anyone wants to meet up and ride into Kelowna/Merritt.
  10. IslandR

IslandR Awkward Silence Producer

Oddometer:
    Islandr has booked his rooms.

I have started playing hockey again :freaky so I feel that I am in perfect shape for this abuse.

You have been warned.

Looking for more broads and less sausage
  11. rtw02

rtw02 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Standup,
    are you planning on staying the night in Revelstoke?
    If so your welcome to crash on our couch if you like.
    I was on the 650 Dakar last year for the ride to Kaslo.
    Cheers, Peter
  12. Stand Up

Oddometer:
    I usually leave Calgary around 5:00 am, stop in Rev. for brunch. If you're available, lets get together. I'd like to talk about Revelstoke area riding.
    I'm headed to Kelwona May 16? too.
    Stand Up
  13. North

North Aimless Drifter

Oddometer:
    I hope to make the ride this year on my Big Rukus for part of Saturday and Sunday.

I have to work the Friday night in Surrey and hope to meet up with the group on Saturday.

I just got a High Performance Briggs & Stratton's Can for my Rukus. Man it rocks now. I am looking forward to see how the Big Trailies stand up against it now.
  14. kdt

kdt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will try to book the Motels tomorrow. It should be another excellent experience!

KDT

:clap:rofl:eek1:1drink:D:lol3:puke1
  15. kdt

kdt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Standup...

I may be able to get to Kelowna on the 16th. Where are you planning to ride?

:ear
  16. KLR Kid

KLR Kid n00b

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great ride. I thought the KVR was closed to MC traffic. Were any of the bridges of the KVR affected by the fires over the last couple of years? I though some of the bridges between Merritt and Penticton were either damaged or destroyed.
  17. Stand Up

Oddometer:
    I just called the Super 8 in Merritt 800-668-9244 $75.00 + taxes. Didn't book....I may ride out from Kelowna early???????? Camp???

I reserved the last room at Southwind 800-661-9922 in Oliver $112.86 inc tax. They always keep 2 rooms un-booked just in case. They can put you on a waiting list, you won't know if you have a room till around noon.

It will be nice to get away from this:
    [​IMG]
    and ride roads that aren't straight to the horizon.......or
    [​IMG]

I'll be in Kelowna from this Wed to Sunday if anyone is up for some dust.
    Stand Up
  18. Bario

Bario Adventurer

Oddometer:

KDT,

Was that your cool exhaust toy at the shop on Saturday?? I picked one up and installed it on the HP2 and they said there was one more but on hold for somebody. They thought is was for you but not 100% sure.

If not yours then two more people waiting for one. We all waiting to see if it is really on hold for you or if it is actually available for sale.

Bario
  19. kdt

kdt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Bario:

I have been bugging Rusty since I got my bike for a full Akrapovic exhaust system. The can seems to be a bit rich for a note change although I might still take it. Have you noticed an improvement in performance or is it just the glorious sound it makes? I'm told with the baffle installed it performs about the same as the stock unit. Any advise before I plop down my overused Visa card would be appreciated. HPN are said to be shipping the first full Akrapovic exhausts but it is very dear in Euros.

It looks like the Friday of the Big Trailie is out for me due to a forgotten commitment. I will try to catch up to the group for the rest of the weekend.
  20. Bario

Bario Adventurer

Oddometer:

KDT,

Rusty can't get the Akra full system at this time. It is not available for sale in Canada yet and nobody seems to know when/if it will be.

Most people in Canada/USA have gone with the Remus headers/Akra can or the full Remus system.

Yes, the price IS a bit hard to swallow for just a slip on. In fact the full retail cost for the entire Remus header/can package is the same as just the Akra/BMW slip-on alone!

That said, three of us aproached Rusty about a small group purchase. We ordered 3 Akra/BMW slip-on's for HP2's and 2 Remus systems for F650's. Now would be the time if you want one. Just call Rusty and tell him to add a 4th Akra for you as part of this group purchase and you will get a bit of a price break.

I have not noticed any performance change whatsoever after installing the Akra. It is a very well made item and the carbon hanger looks sweet. Smaller & lighter than stock but the Remus is smaller still. With the baffle in it is actually quieter than my stock can. With the baffle out it sounds very nice indeed! Not obnoxious but much deeper, throatier, and quite a bit louder.

I never expected a performance boost by just adding the slip-on. I think the biggest change is when you dump the cat and put Remus or Akra headers on the bike. I spent so much on the can that I am going cheap on the headers. I am cutting the cat out and welding in a y-pipe. Figure I will come very close to a set of Remus headers at a cost of maybe $100.

I saw the HPN full Akra system but was reluctant to cough up that much cash sight unseen. If the Y-pipe solution does not seem to work out then maybe I will add the Akra headers later on, when I can first see/hear the system on a bike locally.

Hope you can make the weeked section of the ride. That will make 3 HP2's this year for sure. One more at the shop is a maybe so we could end up with 4.

Bario