BC Big Trailie Ride 2

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dr650bc, Jun 24, 2007.

1. dr650bc

dr650bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Year 2 of the Big Trailie ride turned out fantastic !

The turnout was great - with 20 riders from a variety of locations such as Washington State, Oregon, Prince George, Kamloops, Edmonton, Kelowna, and the lower Mainland.

The bikes were an interesting mix with many BMW GS 1150's & 1200's, 2 BMW HP2's, 3 F650GS's, lots of V-Stroms, a KLR and a Buell Ulysses.

All the riders were really nice folks and nobody complained ( even when their bikes got a bit (ahem) dusty:cry

Many photos were shot by our semi official photo documentaire extraordinaire - Bruno :clap - and we look forward to his posts. Also, we will be eagerly anticipating the Video footage shot by stily1 - especially the infamous "Goat Trail Challenge" :eek1

Here are a few pics to get the ball rolling.
    Thursday - travel day - near Spences Bridge - nice & warm
    [​IMG]

The fun began Friday morning with the group heading into Tulameen along the Brookmere Rd. One group took the old Kettle Valley Railbed while the other group took the Brookmere logging rd - twisty, narrow, and gravelly - Perfect:D
    The old Brookmere water tower is still intact.
    [​IMG]

North of Otter Lake, we all joined up on the KVR - which is basically flat & gravelly - EXCEPT where there is flood damage :eek1 Many of the big bikes had trouble here.
    [​IMG]

Go-Girl shows the boys how it's done on her 650 GS:clap
    [​IMG]
  2. dr650bc

dr650bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK - the pics are posting up so here we go again.

I didn't take too many photos as we were riding hard and Bruno was really on top of that task.

The ride up Anarchist Mountain east of Osoyoos is like a big sloped dyno - there is enough room to compare power.:evil we all gathered at the viewpoint for a group shot.
    [​IMG]

A peek over the edge shows one of the numerous hairpin corners
    [​IMG]

The start of the Bridesville/Rock creek Road east of Osoyoos.
    [​IMG]

The ULY & GS-A ready to do battle on the Bridesville/Rock Creek Rd.
    [​IMG]
  3. dr650bc

dr650bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    North of Rock Creek, we accessed a short section of the KVR that goes through a deep canyon.
    [​IMG]

The scenery in the area was spectacular !!!
    [​IMG]

After an entertaining blast up HWY33, we took the DUSTY McCulloch Rd to the Casa de Manxman where Mrs Manxman had set up a GREAT lunch for the whole group ! THANKS !!:clap
    Layer Cake Mtn from the McCulloch Rd.
    [​IMG]

After a steep, rough, technical climb up the Gillard forest service Rd, we blasted along the KVR yet again to Chute Lake.
    Canuck at high speed on his GS1150
    [​IMG]

A rare photo of Manxman's GS-A with DURT on it :eek1
    [​IMG]

The discussion forum at the bottom of the infamous goat trail which ascends the mountain in the background.
    [​IMG]

The riders who chose the "easier" road instead of the "Goat Trail" were greeted with hail, rain, COLD & fog.:cry [​IMG]

The skies cleared once we reached Apex Alpine Ski Resort.
    [​IMG]

Bruno on his HP2:D [​IMG]

The final "fun" section was the Corkscrew Road above Hedley.
    Manxman & Canuck below the high rock face.[​IMG]

A few more shots from the Viewpoint
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

that's all for now - it's getting late - hope you all enjoy the report and the many photos & comments to follow.

Thanks again to all who made the effort to join us - it was a pleasure meeting & riding with you all.:freaky
  4. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    I like what I see...

:lurk
  5. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    More, more, more please.

Fantastics pics :clap thanks for sharing.
  6. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Manxman, DR650BC, Stily1 and all 21 who made the trip. I kinda wished I had stayed with it for day 3, but I was in the pool, drinking beer before you got out of Kelowna.
    Happy Trails... Stand Up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Tengu

Tengu Artworking. . .

Oddometer:
    Awesome pictures.

I need to get myself a more all terrain bike to handle more local wilderness trips.
  8. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic adventure!! And what a great big group!! Thanks for the pics and report :thumb
  9. Goat-Boy

Goat-Boy Gnarly Sheepfucker

Oddometer:
    For those of you that missed the Goat-Trail....

[​IMG]
    From another angle....
    [​IMG]
    Canuk on his way up.....:clap

[​IMG]

Canuk on his way down....:rofl

[​IMG]

And how about Go-Girl's riding technique? Here she is hanging off on one of the tighter corners....

[​IMG]

Also DR650 hanging off on one of the corners...:huh

[​IMG]

Required kit for HP2 riders...

[​IMG]

And for KLR riders...

[​IMG]

The Kamloops contingent:(Left to right) No-Name Bob, Dog Breath, & SP2 ....:fyyff
    [​IMG]

And again in thier natural habitat :freaky with help from IslandR (who does not wait for ferries):slurp and Sector (who does not wait for anything it seems since she made it back to Rossland at warp speed in time to make the first post after the trip) :beer

[​IMG]

Ok, back to the riding: Dog Breath leads Farmerger between Brookmere and Princeton.

[​IMG]

The start of the Sheep Trail. Lucky bastards. I didn't see any sheep, and I know what they look like.:evil

[​IMG]

Sector customizing her f650gs while Bruno watches in the background for a photo op.

[​IMG]

Part of the KVR between Coalmont and Princeton that GB and GG explored together.

[​IMG]

One of the tunnels on the same section of KVR.

[​IMG]

Dirty Curves and Go-Girl. on the Brookmere road.

[​IMG]

Ok that's all for now. There's more to come, but for now just remember:

[​IMG]

-GB
  10. BC-Bruce

BC-Bruce Curmudgeon wanna-be

Oddometer:
    Friday, June 22 2007
    Weather: Mostly cloudy
    Location: Merritt, Brookmere, Tulameen, Coalmont, Princeton, Summerland & Oliver
    Mileage: 308 kms

The first official day of the BC Big Trailie Ride dawned cloudy, and stayed that way for most of the day.

People getting their bikes ready for the day ahead.
    [​IMG]

"Slug-87" and "Dirty Curves" had their mascots close to hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The road to our starting point was paved an enchantingly twisty - a great way to start the day.

[​IMG]

The group deciding which way to ride - The Brookmere logging road or the KVR.

[​IMG]

Being new to off-road riding I chose what I thought was the lesser of two evils - the logging road. Boy, was that a mistake!

[​IMG]

3000 kms and not a scratch on the bike!
    [​IMG]

3002kms and quite a few scratches!
    [​IMG]

(No pics of the bike on the ground - I had other things on my mind at the time!)

THe root of all gravel road inspired evils - the grader. (I crossed the burm the grader blade made three times. The first two were a little twitchy. The third was too much and I dropped it at low speed.)

[​IMG]

After finishing the logging road ride, we joined up with the people that took the KVR.

[​IMG]

And then jumped back on the KVR for the next section of the journey.

[​IMG]

The only ugly part of it was where a flood had washed out some of the railbed. I made it through this okay, but dropped it in a little gravel? Sheesh!

[​IMG]

From there we carried on to Princeton, where we meet a guy, his wife, and his dog on the way to Manitoba. You meet the nicest people on Motorcycles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Carrying on, I discovered when I dropped the bike, the Givi Side case had it's locking mechanism broken. Duct tape to the rescue! (Side note - I wound up replacing the duct tape with Zap Straps later.)

[​IMG]
    We carried on down a gravel road...

[​IMG]

And regrouped at a bridge...

[​IMG]

Across a stream...

[​IMG]

And we carried on from there to our final destination for the day, a hotel in Oliver, BC. Oliver is known as the Wine capital of BC...

Three of us carried on to the Burrowing Owl Vineyard to pick up some fine consumables...

Adventure Rider - Ride the World - One Vineyard at a time!

[​IMG]

Canuck enjoying the view.

[​IMG]

Canuck : "Stop taking pictures, willya? This is cutting intro my drinking time!"

[​IMG]

It can be a lonely life as an Adventure Rider...

[​IMG]

I guess I have time for one last stop on the way back to the hotel...

[​IMG]
  11. BC-Bruce

Oddometer:
    Saturday, June 23 2007
    Weather: Mostly Sunny & hot, turning cloudy & cool by Penticton.
    Location: Osoyoos, Anarchist Mountain, Bridesville, Rock Creek, Westbridge, Kelowna, KVR to Chute Lake and down to Penticton
    Mileage: 281 kms

The day starts out with another parking lot full of bikes...
    [​IMG]

The view over Osoyoos lake
    [​IMG]

Goat-boy taking a photo
    [​IMG]

This is the group photo taken at this location by Bruno ("Slug-87")
    [​IMG]

After the twisty roads, we jumped back on the KVR (Kettle Valley Railroad, if I haven't mentioned that.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For some of the best "close in" scenery yet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Proceeding on from there, we went to Manxman's place in Kelowna and took over his 'hood'.
    [​IMG]
    I must put in a special word of thanks to Manxwoman for feeding all 21 of us - what a great thing to do.

After lunch I parted ways with the group, and visited my niece before meeting up with the group again at our final destination for the day, Penticton.

I gave up this (Stolen from Slug-87) :
    [​IMG]
    To spend time here instead.
    [​IMG]

I met up with the group again in Penticton, where once again we took over the parking lot. There was already a cruiser there, and we parked around it. When I took this picture, I couldn't help singing "One of these things is not like the others - one of these things just doesn't belong..."

[​IMG]

Go-Girl finally found a hair dryer, and Slug-87 couldn't help but immortalize it...

[​IMG]
  12. BC-Bruce

Oddometer:
    Sunday, June 24 2007
    Weather: Sun, cloud, rain, hail, sun, hail, sun, cloud, rain, sun, cloud, rain, sun, rain. (Gotta love BC weather.)
    Location: Penticton, Keremeos, Apex Alpine Ski Resort, the “Nickleplate” road, Princeton, Burnaby.
    Mileage: 447 kms

The day starts out with another parking lot full of bikes...
    [​IMG]

Following more twisty roads we met up at the base of Apex-Alpine, where the group split into two, the adventuresome souls that went up the infamous "goat trail", and the rest of us that took the road up there.

Here we are deciding which way we are going, and suiting up in our rain gear. (Good thing too - the weather that we ran into going up the hill was just plain ugly. Sheeting rain and hail. Ick. Then, up on the top, the sun came out again. It was a cycle that repeated itself several times that day.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When we got to the top of the Apex, Manxman discovered he had a flat tire, and a bunch of us gathered to see if we could figure out how his newfangled patch kit worked.
    [​IMG]

When the two groups reassembled (and Manxman fixed his flat) we carried on up the mountain. The (clay?) road surface was as slippery as Vaseline, and I just didn't feel comfortable stopping to take a picture of the hail that pelted us until we crossed over to the other side, and were presented with this sight:

[​IMG]

And another view up the valley, before we tacked the road down.

[​IMG]

Finally, we met up in Princeton for one last group lunch before we each went our separate ways.

[​IMG]

After lunch, I jumped on the highway and headed home, into some of the worst weather I have *ever* ridden in. No pictures from that part of the trip either. It was nice to get home, but I can't wait to go on the BC Big Trailie Ride 3, next year...

Over and over again I am reminded that you meet the nicest people on motorcycles... From people I have just met on the roads, to people off of the various motorcycle sites I have met. The group I was riding on this was as diverse as you could get, and every one of them was a great person.

I was new to Adventure riding, but I was made to feel at home, and no one complained that I was quite often last. (Hey - it gave them a longer rest!)

Thanks to DR650 and Manxman for arranging the whole outing, thanks to Manxwoman for feeding the lot of us when we decended on her house in Kelowna, and a special note of thanks to the chase rider, PacWestGS for the riding tips.

Throughout this ride I was pushed beyond my comfort zone for (it seemed like) hours on end... But that comfort zone kept expanding. Thanks to the people I was with, the varied grounds we covered, I feel like my riding skills have advanced to the next level. The bottom rung of the next level, maybe, but a whole different place from where I was before I began this.

And a final note of thanks to everone else who participated in this ride - you made it great.

Here's just a sampling of random photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. PacWestGS

PacWestGS Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer:
    Second Try (Locked up my computer on first try) :eek1

Highlights found below: :D

All others found here: :deal https://PacWestGS.smugmug.com/gallery/3056592/1/166512261

Leaving Merritt - (Some in front)
    [​IMG]

(Some but not all behind)
    [​IMG]

Riding the KVR - (IslandR & Stand Up ahead - Bario lost behind)
    [​IMG]

Allot of tread checks were done during the weekend :lol3
    [​IMG]

Some brake checks were done (or missed) too :eek1 (How to ride your $25K ((Off-Road)) bike off-the-road) :wink: Ooooops
    [​IMG]

Closer - (Sorry a guy in a pick-up stopped and they had the bike back up before I could get turned around and back)
    [​IMG]
    (The road did go left downhill then back up around a 180 to the other side of the cliff)
    All's well that ends well - (Barry and bike both OK) FACE PLANT :ksteve
    [​IMG]

Front to back on the road to Summerland (Dirty Curves-Bario-Slug87(L)-BC-Bruce):
    [​IMG]

Entering Summerland - (There were just a few of us along for the ride :fyyff )
    [​IMG]

Bruno (Thanks for the check ride - what an awesome machine :thumbup )
    [​IMG]

Supporting the local economy :1drink
    [​IMG]

Jumping off Hwy-33 to the KVR (Lots of colorful bikes and riders) :ricky
    [​IMG]

Stily1 at the gorge along KVR - (Can't wait to see the video + thanks for last years I checked it out this morning :thumb )
    [​IMG]

Bario and Dirty Curves at the gorge -
    [​IMG]

We kept most of the herd together even in towns - :rofl
    [​IMG]

The "Goat Trail" and the "Trail Whale(s)" some bodies won :gdog , :kat most lost :komet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The culprit of forward progress - :evil
    [​IMG]

Well fellas, that ain't working so well, maybe we should do the prudent thing and turn back? Aaargh - OK lets push all the whales through the gap and continue - DEAL :huh
    [​IMG]

Note to self - (When stopping to take pictures, make sure your right leg is long enough to reach the ground :lol3 ) (Hope you like the photo Bruce :D )
    [​IMG]

Up from Hedley on the cork-screw road: (Just a cool angle)
    [​IMG]

Road up from Hedley (The Cork Screw) Nickel Plate Road :ksteve
    [​IMG]

There is lots of elevation seperating these riders going down the hill: :deal
    [​IMG]
    (Log on the gallery to find yourself - tried to get everyone)

Busten it homeward on Hwy-3 (There were much funner curves, but I needed both hands :getiton )
    [​IMG]

Looking back East (from Hwy-9 USA) towards the bike wash and laundrymat. No need to clean anything when I got home - it was washed dried and rinsed...:cry )
    [​IMG]

Somebody who missed this years ride, because of last years RIDE :smooch
    [​IMG]

That be the better of the good ones.

Looking forward to the other views.

Until next year, keep yur powder dry and yur hatchet scoured...

PacWestGS - out
  14. kluts

kluts The Lost Tourguide

Oddometer:
    Very wonderful string of pics, group. I LIKE 'em!!! :1drink

More please.......
  15. PacWestGS

Oddometer:
    Ooops I missed the hail storm after Apex-Alpine (Dirty Curves ahead)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. kdt

kdt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great pics eveyone!

I had hoped to catch up with the group but too many things got in the way.:loco

I'm pissed I missed #2!! Next year for sure!!!...:nod:wave
  17. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's a few of the 1st Day photos I took...

At a quick regroup shortly after starting the day, here's Farmerger (left) and PacWestGS (right)
    [​IMG]

From the left, DG K3 1000, ManxMan, Canuck, and Slug87
    [​IMG]

At the Brookmere Water Tower
    [​IMG]

Along the Brookmere logging road
    [​IMG]

Same spot along the logging road, Sector's trying to get the ABS turned off (it was not cooperating)
    [​IMG]

Along the logging road, Slug87 (left-front), Dirty Curves (right-front), with Goat Boy and Go Girl riding up in back
    [​IMG]

Along the KVR trail
    [​IMG]

We're heading this way
    [​IMG]

We had to wait for the sheep farmer to move his portable gate
    [​IMG]

ManxMan working his way through the wash-out section on the KVR
    [​IMG]

Took a pretty neat twisty gravel road out of Princeton, and then it turned into a dirt road
    [​IMG]

Sector riding along
    [​IMG]

Go Girl
    [​IMG]

Goat Boy
    [​IMG]

Farmerger - unfortunately his side case on the right side is now held on with bungees
    [​IMG]

Go Girl and Slug87 (between Princeton and Summerland)
    [​IMG]

I'll post some Day 2 pics later...
  18. PacWestGS

Oddometer:
    Don't worry Bruce - That'll buff right out :jack (Hey, why'd you buy the crash bars - they worked, Hehehehe)

Great job riding :1drink
  19. Slug87

Slug87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got to rush to work now.
    Will get the full gallery up over next week-end. Will PM everyone.

[​IMG]
    Thumbs Up from Bario

[​IMG]
    Black Widows success in Oliver.

[​IMG]
    Canuck

[​IMG]
    Canuck still drinking

[​IMG]
    Canuck leading part of the gang.

[​IMG]
    Canuck just picked up some wine.

[​IMG]
    A common sight during the week-end.

[​IMG]
    Dangers of the Nickel plate road.

[​IMG]
    Dr650Bc in the wild.

[​IMG]
    FarmerGer common sighting. Once on each side. Got to keep the bike balanced. :rofl

[​IMG]
    Quality food in Oliver. What is that anyway ??

[​IMG]
    Layer mountain framing.

[​IMG]
    GalacticGS a bit too fast maybe ?

[​IMG]
    Goat Boy turned Mountain Goat for this shot.

[​IMG]
    Goat Boy climbing the infamous 'ahem' Goat trail.

[​IMG]
    The braves at the first switchback of the Goat Trail.

[​IMG]
    The Gang above Osoyoos on anarchist mountain.

[​IMG]
    islandR is talking to you.

[​IMG]
    islandR showing how to do a proper slide on gravel.

[​IMG]
    I am so cool eh ...

[​IMG]
    ManXman cruising along.

[​IMG]
    Above the trees, down the Nickel plate road.

[​IMG]
    PacWestGS climbing the Goat trail.

[​IMG]
    PacWestGS demonstrating the proper wave technique through this KVR murky water.

[​IMG]
    manXman plugging along.

[​IMG]
    Relaxing on ManXMan lawn.

[​IMG]
    ManXMan poor attempt at keeping his feet dry.

[​IMG]
    I count 7 bikes on this shot, coming down the Old hedley road. How about you?

[​IMG]
    Signature parking by Goat Boy.

[​IMG]
    SP2 re-arranging gravels.

[​IMG]
    Stily1 standing tall, and videotaping.

[​IMG]
    Our hotel in Oliver (not)

[​IMG]
    Sorry, I just love that shot.

[​IMG]
    ManXman looking over his backyard