BC: Vancouver to Golden

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ofrogg, Aug 1, 2006.

1. ofrogg

ofrogg the grey R1200GS frog

Oddometer:
    Question here...

I'm heading from Vancouver to Golden, in what looks to be two days (I'd like to get to Cranbrook on the second day) Should I be taking the sea to sky highway to Kamloops? Taking construction and traffic out of any route leaves Hwy 99 way out in front... but I'm worried that it will take forever to get to Kamloops. Just looking at Google maps, Kamloops is a 3.5 hr ride from Vancouver, on the transcanadian hwy, and 7.5 hrs through lillooet. Is it reasonable to assume that I can make it to Kamloops that fast on Hwy 1??? Whats the state of the paved roads up that way right now?
  2. mayday

mayday Stromer

Oddometer:
    Vanc-Kamloops > you have quite a few options; the fastest, most direct route is Hwy 5 The Coquillhalla (sp?) a toll highway, takes ~3.5hrs.
    Next is Hwy 1 TransCanada adding another ~1.5hr
    Next is Hwy 99 through Whistler, then Hwy 12 another 2hrs on top of the previous.
    As the time increases, so does the scenery/fun factor; first one is just a boring "super hwy" fast but nothing else. Hwy 1 is more scenic, more twists and Hwy 99 is even better.
    Really comes down to what you want - speed or scenery. My opinion, Hwy 1 is the better compromise.
  3. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    toll is $5 for a bike, roads are excellent but I havent rode duffy lake-liloett this yr.

are you staying in kamloops? salmon arm is a pretty cool small town down the road a bit. the top end joint is the prestige inn, $175 w/ AAA, or plenty of camping near by.

try to take hwy 3 on your way back, fernie is a good stop over if you get that far. good cheap nice clean hotel on the main drag.it is far nice then many $130 places I have stayed.
    pasted .....
    Ski and See Adventure Lodge Fernie's one and only guest house, completely refurbish fall 2000. Affordable accommodation, located down town, outdoor hot tub, ski locker, ski boot dry room, tv/telephone in room, shared facilities, 1-5 people in private rooms, airport shuttle, internet, laundry. Outdoor adventure booking center. Group bookings welcome. Nightly rates from $19.
  4. ofrogg

ofrogg the grey R1200GS frog

Oddometer:
    The "plan" is to head back from Vancouver to Colorado thru Whistler, Lillooet, Salmon Arm, Golden, then back into Montana... But I'm starting to question some of the trip's itinerary. When everything first started coming together, I assumed I could do Vancouver to Golden in an afternoon and evening... not sure where that came from, but it was there. That royal assumption planted seeds that have started having some issues maintaining growth. See, I'm heading to seattle, to visit some friends, then up to Vancouver for a batchelor party, then home... mostly. I figured I'd ride through Golden and visit some people I know there from skiing... but I'm getting freaked out by the length of the trip and the amount of time I have to do it all in (two weeks). I will be heading home from Vancouver the sunday following the party (will I even be able to ride??!). My latest thinking has me considering dropping the hwy 99 leg and staying south of Kamloops entirely, skipping Golden and just dropping into montana or thereabouts a day or so earlier...

It's all so confusing. I might just play it by ear. The one thing that concerns me is heading up the Fraser Valley outta Vancouver in bumper to bumper construction traffic. Will this be the case?

Am I thinking/planning to much?

:arg
  5. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    no you arent planning too much. I'd skip 99 if you might have a hangover.

I just did 5, the toll road, no construction delays for me, you can make some realtime on it. get out of Van early, the traffic can be a MF, after kamloops it switches to one/two lane, be cool re passing as some areas have a lot of traffic and not many places to pass, just enjoy the view.

you can do Van-Golden in a day, easy, get an early start.

when heading up I-5, exit at 231, take the chuckanut drive ( head due northwest over the over pass) it will take an extra 20 min at most, its a scenic ride up the coast to bellingham. get a jug of tax free booze at the truck stop, this is clearly marked on I-5, you go one mile east from the peace arch ( main I-5 crossing) your buddies will thank you ( smokes too if they do them) , good eats in Bham, boundry bay brewing, pub grub, micros. Anthoneys at the marina for seafood.

depending where in Van you are going , the port mann /second narrows may be a better way in.

If you have time an incredible MC exhibit in richmond
    http://www.trevdeeley.com/custom/collection.html
  6. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    if you do skip golden, take hwy 3 out of hope, thats if you like twisty roads:1drink
  7. rtw02

rtw02 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Van to golden is a good day.
    Tha fastest way is Hiway #1 to hope, then hiway #5 (coquihalla, $5 toll) to Kamloops, which will take 5 hours. Once you are out of Van it is a good fast hiway to Kamloops.
    Then hiway #1 on to Golden, which will take 4 1/2 hours. This is a two lane hiway that is busy most of the way, and you can not hurry on it...nice scenery though.
    Golden to Montana is about 5 1/2 hours on good straight two lane hiway that is not very busy.
    It's a nice ride even though it's all hiway.
    Cheers