1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BC via YZ or WRR?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ACR, Jul 16, 2020.

1. ACR

ACR 57,545

Oddometer:
    Looking for some input from the hive. A friend and I are planning a trip out to BC next month, provided the backcountry (and country) are open for business. One location on the mind is riding around an area SE of Cranbrook along Gold Creek road. We travelled through there in 2014 on bloated WR’s and were both impressed with the potential. Offroad is much easier on the lighter bikes, yet the range of the WRR is no comparison. Biggest issue I can see with taking the dirt bikes is jetting - my bike is currently tuned for 700 feet above sea level. Non issue with the WRR.

We have a few weeks to work with, and will be looking for multiple locations to setup a base camp and ride for a couple days at each area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as to make the most of our time in the mountains, although the “choose your own adventure” has always turned out well - specifics are nice, too. Scenic outlooks are often the main intention on any ride, as well as a nice place to camp.

BC is enormous, I can’t see us going much further west than Kelowna, and not much further north than say, Hinton Alberta. Unless there is a “must do” trail/road, then we would have no choice but to go further.

I’m considering creating a live ride report for this one, so long as it actually happens. Thanks for any suggestions and help.

[​IMG]

Or...

[​IMG]
    cal08 and Snipified like this.
  2. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've always liked the reliability of the WR, so i would lean that way. I just watched an overland in aussie across the desert with 2 guys on 250 WR's out of a group of 6. Everyone else had bike problems. On vacation, when you want to vacation and not fix shite, id take the more reliable option. Either way, great area to ride. There are no wrong turns.
    ACR likes this.
  3. ACR

ACR 57,545

Oddometer:
    The WR's are certainly a trusty option, so far neither of us have been left stranded nor encountered any issues with close to a combined 100,000 km. Heading out on a mountain trail, the last thing I want on the mind is whether or not the bikes will make it back. They're also properly outfitted for the task; EFI, large tank, rotopax, racks, plug ins for heat, and most important, lights.
  4. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's such a nice area. Sounds like they are already set up for the task. As for range, just pick up a giant loop fuel bladder and be done. Lots of folks piss around endless hours/days/weeks/years solving fuel. The GL bladder solves all, and tucks away when your done.

Edit: I see you've Rotopax. Heavy, but bullet proof. And converts to a table or seat, or heavy frisbee for the more robust of the asylum.
    ACR likes this.
  5. ACR

ACR 57,545

Oddometer:
    Yes, rotopax are also useful as a shield for bear defense or makeshift trail stand for flat repairs. The fuel bladders are the lightest option, maybe something to consider with the 2 strokes. I've been reading some of the 5,000 other threads on "where to go in BC", have gained a few ideas. The Kimberly pass road looks fun, although the latest report states there are major washouts with plans for a temporary wooden bridge. Not too far from Cranbrook, so easy to check out.
    cal08 likes this.
  6. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ColumbusTheExplorer and ACR like this.
  7. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Couple highlights to hit if you head up to Radium, a small town about an hour and 15 up the road. Hit me up on a pm if it looks like you decide to go that way.
    ACR likes this.
  8. ACR

ACR 57,545

Oddometer:
  9. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Kimberly Pass Road you refer to is probably the Gray Creek Pass Road. It is now open..
    From Facebook:

Gray Creek Store
    July 6 at 4:26 PM ·

We just had someone in saying the gaps are filled and Gray Creek Pass is open. Beware, the parts that were just fixed are not packed and may not be suitable for cars! Use the pass with care!
    ACR likes this.
  10. ACR

ACR 57,545

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update, hopefully the repairs will hold. Have you ever ridden here, if so, is it worth the effort?
  11. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't ridden there this year but have in the past. I'm fairly confident the repairs will hold as there's not been a major storm come through the area to wipe out the repairs.
    Is the ride worth it? IMHO, the views aren't spectacular, but I'm of the belief that anytime riding on dirt is 10 x better than pavement. Kimberley - Gray Creek pass on to Kootenay Bay ferry time wise, is about the same going this way or 95A - 3 - 3A... If you're on a dirt bike and doing the pass at an average of 80 kph, then you'd save an hour. (The pass is about 80 KM in length.) You do get up to 6800 feet though....
    Latest updates of the pass here: http://graycreekstore.com/general-store/news
    Kootenay Bay Ferry schedule here: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/...tenay-lake-ferry/kootenay-lake-ferry-schedule
    Note: No going to the front of the line with bikes. A few years ago the privilege was revoked when a group of 25+ road bikes went to the front of the line at another ferry terminal (summer and busiest time for the ferries )and caused a ruckus. Cops were called to the scene... just say'in...
    ACR likes this.
  12. ACR

ACR 57,545

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the insight, are there any other routes/trails in the area you would recommend instead of Kimberly - Gray Creek pass? Everything looks great out west when you're a flat lander, tough to differentiate between spectacular and mediocre. We'll be riding mostly dirt, nothing too extreme like dragging the bikes up/down rock ledges. Shame about group causing trouble at the ferry, I've never funneled to the front of a line unless instructed to do so. Not exactly the greatest bunch of ambassadors.

Thanks again for the info.