BD Squadron LED in Husaberg FE390

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by cyborg, Apr 24, 2012.

1. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    As anyone with a -09 to -11 Husaberg FExxx knows, the 35watt headlight on these bikes is a joke, downright dangerous at night if you actually dual-sport the bike or try to ride tougher trails offroad.

[​IMG]

The FE 70degree bikes have 210 watts to play with so I started looking at the latest tech, looked at the HID dirtbike units and decided I wanted to try LED lights.

There are getting to be more great products in this category, but a friend pointed me at Baja Designs new 3600 lumen, 45 watt Squadron LED race light.

I happened to have a Dakar supporter discount coupon for Baja Designs so I took the leap and got the Squadron in the Polisport mask, the only option available at the time.

When I got it, I decided I didn't like the look of the Polisport mask on the 'Berg and wanted to find a way to mount the Squadron in the OEM Husaberg mask and keep the lines of the bike the same.

The Squadron 3 x 3 is pretty small after removing from the Polisport mask and metal flange.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what the Husaberg mask looks like behind, with bulb socket removed. Not a lot of room to work with.

[​IMG]

I came up with a flange design of my own

[​IMG]

and was just about to fab it up, when Baja Designs announced they were offering a kit to retrofit the the Squadron to -05 to -07 OEM KTM's masks.
    I was particularly interested in the flange used in this kit.

[​IMG]

The flange looked pretty close to my design, and the great folks at BD made the just the flange and mount hardware used for this kit available for purchase. :clap

Out came the OEM headlight

[​IMG]

This is what I received in the BD kit, along with my OEM Husaberg mask and light frame, and the Squadron from my Polisport kit.

[​IMG]

Some of the hardware in this kit I didn't need, like the foam and brackets. It was the flange I wanted.
  2. cyborg

Oddometer:
    The Squadron mounted up in the new flange

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The initial mounting using the supplied nylon spacers, so far so good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hmm, the OEM plastic headlight frame on the bottom right blocks the Squadron from moving backwards for beam adjustment.

[​IMG]

Out comes the Dremel

[​IMG]

All better now. Subtle but just what was needed.

[​IMG]

Clears now

[​IMG]

Then discovered the beam adjustment screw in the new flange was too low to match the Berg's frame, so had to drill a new 13/64" hole a little higher.

[​IMG]

Now it works :thumb

[​IMG]

OK, time for first fit... Argh, no go, way too big on the sides to allow the flange to move back. :hmmmmm

[​IMG]

Looks like more mods needed. Good thing aluminum is easy to cut and drill. :deal
  3. cyborg

Oddometer:
    I put the my original template on the new flange and planned a few cuts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and ended up with this

[​IMG]

Sorry BD, the logo silkscreen chipped off very easily during the bandsawing.

Now to fit it up!

[​IMG]

Needed to cut down the supplied 22mm tall spacers to 17mm to get the proper flange angle.

[​IMG]

Then into the OEM mask

[​IMG]

The nitty gritty electrical install on the back. Note the tiny Skene Designs IQ-170A dimmer. This allows me to program any dim setting from 0% to 100% using the high beam switch and has a High beam override wire also run by the high beam switch. The "A" feature also has a "Alert" mode which flashes a full power pattern to really wake up motorists at crossroads, etc. Worth the extra $20 to me, since a dual-sport dirtbike is even hard to see on the road.

[​IMG]

I used a KTM starter pushbutton I had laying around to give me a better High beam instant flasher, and it works in conjunction with the regular headlight switch. Cobbled it in there.

[​IMG]

Plugged it all in...

[​IMG]

It fits, and it works perfectly! :freaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMHO it fits the look of the bike pretty well. I'm happy with it. :D

[​IMG]

The night test was awesome, this light is SUPER bright, too bright for paved road traffic, and the dimmer works perfectly to keep the oncoming cars happy. I'll post a few nighttime pictures and vids soon.

:beer
  4. AdventureDave

AdventureDave MMMMM Bundy!

Oddometer:
    Excellent. Thanks Cyborg, i have been interested in this light since I saw the release. So are you saying that with the dimmer it is suitable to use as a replacement for street use (I understand its still illegal)?

Cheers

David
  5. McLeod

McLeod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a shield over the LED's? I couldn't tell, between bugs and mud clean up might be a challenge.
  6. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Yes there is a 3 x 3 polycarbonate cover over all 4 bulbs, it's just very clear. Replacement covers are a few bucks at BD I'm told. I saw where some have added yest another mud guard shield in from of that, but I'll try running this light just like it is.
  7. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Yes I would say with the dimmer it's very acceptable for street use, especially compared to all the glaring HID's cars and bikes run. At the programmed Low Beam setting, it's still plenty of light to ride in traffic with and I don't get irritated flashes from oncoming cars. Already ridden past a few local police cars during the day and night and no issues.

When it opens up, hit the High beam - Oh Yeah! :thumb
  8. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Is the light you purchased in the Squadron the same as The OffRoad Light Spot or the Off Road Light Driving setup, any idea? Or maybe a mix of both?
  9. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Gordon said it's the "Driving" version, and it does look that way, better spread.
  10. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice!

I like what you did. The end result looks very nice.

What power setting did you end up w/ for the low beam?
  11. McLeod

McLeod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just want to blame you for causing me to spend more money!!! I just wanted you to realize this! :deal

Awesome write up! Thanks.
  12. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great write-up Cyborg:clap. Glad it all came together for you.

I'm interested in doing a similar set-up and have a question for you. Are you using the Skene IQ 170 in addition to the BD dimmer or the Skene dimmer by itself? If the Skene by itself, were you able to wire it into the CEV switch cluster and have the CEV switch cluster control the light and high beam function?

Thanks for the write up.
  13. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Hey Clif,

We came up with those same mods while installing the lights at base camp at 4500 meters. No band saw to modify the aluminum plate so I used the Leatherman to cut off the plastic side supports that are used for the indicators, then the flange fits. :wink:

[​IMG]

I do like your solution a lot though, hopefully BD will start making a proper adapter plate for the Bergs?
    octopusenvy likes this.
  14. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Good write up cyborg !

I realize you started your project before BD was finished with their development work, but I take it that their Squadron replacement for the earlier KTMs and Bergs would need the same mods to it that you ended up doing ?
  15. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dan, no idea what % dim I ended up with, just aimed it at a wall and knocked it down until I thought it looked reasonable, enough light to ride by and also cars not flashing me. Next time I'll count the increments. WAG would be 30%

Thanks team ftb. I am using the Skene IQ 170-A. The 'A' option is awesome. I have it wired so everything works normally on the CEV switches. Low is (program-n-forget) low dimmer, High is max power. Thanks to the front 'parking/marker' light circuit the Berg's have, I don't even need a diode between Hi/Lo. Since the CEV headlight switch is too clunky/slow to rapidly flash High beam for Alert and Programming, I added the momentary pushbutton switch in parallel to the High beam wire for those duties. It's now like the Euro "flash" switch my KTM990 has. Two taps on the flash button and ZOWIE! :eek1 no way a car getting ready to pull out in front of you will miss it! The Skene site has videos and I will take some too eventually

Hey Lukas! :thumb
    I didn't want to cut any Berg plastic and wanted my flange to fit as well as the OEM headlight. I have the traced flange pattern now, just not in CAD yet. Happy to give that to BD.
    Your mountain trip was truly EPIC/FANTASTIC/BRILLIANT! :bow
  16. Baja Designs

Baja Designs Enter: "BDForums" for 10% ADV Discount!

Oddometer:
    Very nicely done Clif.:D

Hey Lucas,

how was the ride in South America?

BD
  17. cyborg

Oddometer:
    I did this test for the BD Squadron thread, and thought I'd post it here too.

I ran a test of current draw on the Squadron when I got home after work today. I have a test setup that makes it easy to do with a very accurate DC amp meter and an inline fuse adapter I made. I just hooked up to the headlight circuit (Fuse 3) and ran it through 0% up to 100% with the Skene Deseigns dimmer, which is programmable in brightness range: 0 to 100% in 10% subjective brightness increments.

[​IMG]

My readings (rounded up @ 14.3V idling):

Off = .013A = .19W
    0% = .015A = .22W
    10%= .032A = .46W
    20%= .042A = .60W
    30%= .16A = 2.3W
    40%= .42A = 6.1W
    50%= .74A = 10.6W
    60%= 1.13A = 16.2W
    70%= 1.56A = 22.3W
    80%= 2.05A = 29.3W
    90%= 2.92A = 41.7W
    100%= 3.14A = 44.9W

My current "Low Beam" setting is 50% = ~11W.

So, as you dim the LED light the power draw goes down quite quickly as you can see. This would be the same for for any PWM dimmer like:
    Skene Designs dimmer,
    Baja Designs dimmer,
    ADVmonster dimmer,
    and even the roll-your-own dimmer.**

** The inexpensive generic e-bay dimmer does not have the optional High beam/full-power bypass wire, that allows the regular High-beam switch to toggle on full-power, with the Low-beam setting being the dimmed level. The other 3 dimmers have that feature. That feature could be added with an external relay on-the-cheap if you are good at DIY. The e-bay dimmer also isn't waterproof.

18. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awsome info and good to have.

The dimmed low beam setting is kind of a Catch-22 situation:

I found that the low beam setting @ 30% +/- is OK for not blinding oncoming traffic at night, but a bit low for forward visibility.

Conversly the 50% setting is fine for visibility, but too bright for oncoming traffic at night.

Just try standing 30-40 feet in front of the bike w/ the dimmer at 50% and see how bright it is.
  19. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Yeah did that just today, during daylight hours, another friend and I, for comparision. 30% to 40% is bearable, 50% and it starts getting painful for the eye, but surprisingly cars aren't flashing me at night, so I must have it aimed low enough.

If they do flash me I can pop High on for second "see I AM in Low!" :augie :lol3
    Any longer than just fast flashes and they would be seeing spots and get dangerous to me or others around them!
  20. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cyborg - hats off to you for some valuable info and insight. Very much appreciated.

Just out of curiosity what actions are needed to set-up the Skene dimmer for 50%?