1. eNewsletter Sign Up

BDCW Skid Plate R1250GSA (Fitment A)

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by CaptnExcitement, Feb 12, 2020.

1. CaptnExcitement

CaptnExcitement Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just installed a BDCW Skid Plate on my R1250GSA. I figured I would answer the questions I had prior to receiving and installing the plate here. This is my second BDCW skid plate, I have one on my 2009 R1200GSA, the things are bomb proof and work as advertised. They are worth the extra weight for the amount of protection you get for the exhaust manifold and the engine. The front of the plate mounts to the four securing points for the BMW skid plate mounting brackets. The rear support connects to the center cross frame. I have no reservations with the mounting configuration, any impacts are distributed across four fasteners on the engine, two rubber bumpers on the front of the engine and the rear support on the center cross frame. The setup is somewhat similar on my 2009 GSA's BDCW skid plate, I have impacted large rocks going downhill and the plate absorbed the strike and slid over the rock until the rear tire took over.
    BQzxWmeQQYa8ehs9bCoArQ.jpg

Weight of the BDCW skid plate (Fitment A) with all associated hardware - 9.831 pounds
    Weight of the removed BMW skid plate and associated hardware - 2.728 pounds
    Net increase of 7.103 pounds to the bike which equates to a pretty luxurious tent but....protection!
    DP1kGIWzRDOjxHu3qAXmQQ.jpg

Ground clearance difference of the BDCW skid plate compared to the BMW skid plate is negligible 1/4 to 1/2 an inch less for the BDCW plate at the most if not the same. I took pictures but my angles are off.
    z%5Nc0poTRid1cAoE5UAOw.jpg
    3fmUbSIGRjCY0sg+rDECMQ.jpg

I have the Machine Art Moto Avant fender extender installed and it clears the skid plate by 1/4 inch. The avant should be removed when I do go off road, for now I like it to help reduce road salt while I squeeze rides in up here in NH during the winter.
    lbbauoJFSeqVGf%WYNdZLg.jpg

The plastic center stand guard needs to be removed as the BDCW skid plate extends past the center stand. The BMW center stand guard touches the BDCW skid plate when it's up, and does not allow the center stand to completely hinge up to the bumper. I have no issues with removing the center stand guard, the BDCW skid plate provides complete coverage to the exhaust. The center stand guard is redundant once the BDCW skid plate is installed.
    fScBxr76Ra6g0bxv+6makw.jpg

Removal of the skid plate for maintenance is easy with four fasteners. After initial install, once you have the mounting brackets mounted and tightened down, the plate come off and on with out any more or less difficulty than the OEM plate. If you are so inclined it would be simple to use the front securing bracket as a template to use a hole saw to drill out where the oil drain plug is. I prefer there being no holes to snag up on anything and its probably a good idea to remove the plate to clean every 6000 miles anyway.
    4AXjyMPiSOqDp88iaRjVbA.jpg IynJXCi5RxuvFj5VdowjzA.jpg

When it's all said and done the skid plate looks pretty bad a$$ if I do say so myself!
    L4N+ayWfRVyxJZ20bAoUWA.jpg
  2. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for being a repeat customer, sharing your experiences, and your photos. It's great to see our products on customer bikes!

Thanks again. We really appreciate your business!

-Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com
    deadflagblues likes this.
  3. CaptnExcitement

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to scarring up the new plate!
    BlackDogCycleWorks likes this.
  4. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. PDXRider70

PDXRider70 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the taking the time to make an excellent review! I am new to the GSA, and am taking the RawHyde training next month to learn more. Once I get to where it a new plate is needed I will be sure to revisit this post!
  6. deadflagblues

deadflagblues I need a new bike

Oddometer:
    RawHyde is a blast. Enjoy!
    PDXRider70 likes this.
  7. CaptnExcitement

Oddometer:
    You will probably see a few of these skid plates in the flesh at RawHyde. You are going to learn a lot there and meet some cool people for sure.
    deadflagblues and PDXRider70 like this.