1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

BDR development in British Columbia

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Bayner, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chilipepper and BecaBoo like this.
  2. MotoActionADV

MotoActionADV Level 16 wizard

Oddometer:
    I'm suspect they have already handled this but have they cleared any trademark issues with the BDR folk from rideBDR.com?

I think it is a great idea, just wouldnt want any hard feelings/lawsuits :p
  3. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed, simple courtesy would dictate getting in touch with BDR/Touratech USA. The BDR project is set up as a not for profit and has stayed at arms' length from Touratech. They intend to create one new state's BDR per year and so will run out of states eventually. And then come to Canada? Don't know how they feel about Canada; if they OK it, use the name. If not, come up with a new name for the routes and leave "BDR" to them, it's the right thing to do.
    cal08, Duas Rodas and I82l8 like this.
  4. summitx

summitx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think it's a wonderful idea but doubt it will ever happen in Canada. At least not similar quality ride terrain. In Canada or more specifically B.C. where I am familiar you would need buy in and cooperation from Government agencies. Both BC Parks and BC Lands and Forestry. There is a huge non motorized movement in B.C. driven by Wildsight and other similar organizations. Many of the places we ride we don't share with anyone except other mc riders we know. Hope I'm proven wrong.
  5. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are so many thousands of km. of active and deactivated resource roads, power line roads, etc. in B.C., even though areas are designated non-motorized, I can't imagine good routes couldn't be figured out that would avoid them. The USA BDR organization seems pretty good at lobbying both govts. and the private sector, and that would be required here too.
  6. spuh

Oddometer:
    Excellent point, the BDR guys seem particularly fluent in speaking to governments. Which is a talent I suspect is lacking at most riders' organisations. Wouldn't it be great to get the BDR people in here?
    gpfan likes this.
  7. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @spuh
    Agree! Definite value in the group proposing this to reach out to the US organization for advice as well as for the legal issues @MotoActionADV noted. And/or contact the TCAT organizers?
  8. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. spuh

Oddometer:
    I'm averse to Facecrook but maybe an inmate who isn't ought to suggest this to those Okanagan guys.
    gpfan likes this.
  10. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me too, so nope!
  11. summitx

summitx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From another thread discussing road closures. Government supports closures not responsible use.
    This is a battle not yet won by the citizens of BC but I remain hopeful. The landowner, a spouse of a Walmart heiress, has received, according to the Judge, remarkable assistance from the BC provincial authorities, remarkable assistance from the RCMP and remarkable assistance from the highways authorities.
    https://www.wcel.org/blog/edrf-victory-nicola-valley-fish-and-game-club-wins-fight-public-access
    We owe a great deal to the one group of volunteers, the Nicola Valley Fish and game club who have fought this battle relentlessly.
  12. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
  13. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. BCBackRoads

BCBackRoads Travels with Gumby

Oddometer:
    Or the Billionaire land owners who hire the lawyers to get their own way.
    Ymirtrials and gpfan like this.
  15. filterx

filterx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya I've been riding in that area before and have been reading about that for the last few years and today.

IMO if its a crown land and only accessible through private property, the public should have reasonable access to it.

They've been able to work it out with active private cattle ranches around Kamloops BUT the owners are actually local's and not some rich dude from the USA who feels he's entitled.
    Lurkerlou and Ymirtrials like this.
  16. 150miler

150miler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From what I understand the judge sympathized with the fish & game club but stated his ruling had to abide by the existing laws. He suggested that these laws need to be revised. Hope this happens (John H. are you listening?).
    filterx and uncle m like this.
  17. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read somewhere that the fish and game club are going to take this to the Supreme Court of Canada. Would definitely be worth a $$$ contribution but the link on their website seems to be broken.
  18. filterx

filterx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What I ready yesterday was that the local club had to pay for their 100K or more legal fees to date and IMO fundamentally this is a Canadian wide issue, not specific to BC and anyone who enjoys and type of out door recreation in Canada should help $$$ wise supporting them.

Not sure how the out door clubs would handle this in the USA but they have way more people hence way more interest and $$$$.
  19. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
  20. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Along with ensuring right to public access, they should also eliminate foreign ownership. You should have to live on a property to own it and be a citizen. No Walmart millionaires buying up Canada.
    dammitdave, 250senuf and uncle m like this.