1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BDR Routes - How long do they take by route?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by everson65, Aug 20, 2019.

1. everson65

everson65 Intrepidnation

Oddometer:
    Hi fellow throttle junkies! I am preparing for a trip leaving from my home in Fargo, ND heading down to Mesa, AZ in mid-September. I am having a hard time determining exactly how long to allocate for the trip and still make my flight home. I have a lot of experience with this type of travel and am an experienced rider that can cover some good distance, but I like a little bit of downtime to hike, take in the scenery...and a buffer in case of any issues.

My question is basically this: What is the average amount of time that it takes to ride the entirety of the CO BDR trail?

Secondly, does anyone have any good routes through Wyoming that they would suggest? I plan to ride from Fargo to Red Lodge, MT on black top as there isn't much to see on that stretch, but then from Red Lodge down to the start of the CO BDR I am kind of winging it. Any route suggestions would be appreciated!

Last question would be if anyone has been lucky enough to ride both the CO BDR and the Continental Divide Trail if they prefer one over the other? I have GPS tracks downloaded for both and might jump back and forth if it makes sense.

Much appreciated!
  2. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi and welcome to advrider! You’ll probably get more help if you post this over in Trip Planning.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't remember about the CO BDR, but all the others I have used are broken down by Days with one track per day sometime called a section. Most I have used are about 200 miles a day.
    Some are available as "raw" tracks and are time-stamped so you can see how long the ride took.

I don't know anything much about Wyoming. I would look at the CDR route thru WY and see if it helps any.
    cmattina likes this.
  4. everson65

everson65 Intrepidnation

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip!
  5. everson65

everson65 Intrepidnation

Oddometer:
    I have the maps and GPS routes for the BDR, but I was hoping someone would have real world experience on how long it took to crank it out. Thanks for your input. I will keep digging and I will update as well once I finish the ride.
  6. everson65

everson65 Intrepidnation

Oddometer:
    I am definitely a n00b, but from what I can tell I have this posted in Trip Planning under the "Americas" section. Am I wrong?
  7. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, you’re right.
  8. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having ridden the cobdr and utbdr twice, I can say 150 miles is a good average. Take your time. no need to rush. There is plenty of rough stuff you need to plan for.
  9. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did the Co section of the CDT last yr. N.M. this yr. Want to head to Mt soon. I've also ridden about 3/4 of the CoBDR, from Wyoming to Lake City. I think the CDT is slightly easier than the BDR. The hard sections of the BDR in Colorado were more challenging than the hard sections of the CDT. But I also found this on the CDT south of Rabbit ears pass.
    Great trip either option if you want company let me know. 36103968.jpg 1831656529.jpg

Time. BDR from wyoming day 1 from home Loveland co to Wyoming then south threw Steamboat and camped at Lynx Pass C.G.
    2. Lynx to near Crooked Creek Pass.
    3. CC pass over ? Pass, Leadville, Weston pass, Cottonwood was and still is closed so I stayed at Monarch park C.G.
    4. Monarch to Lake City about half a day.
    Then I went over to Del Norte and rode the CDT back north.

I say plan for 8 days, it wont take that long, but you can take your time and have a rest day if you want or if your like me you may waste 3 or 4 hours south of Gypsum by missing turns. Now I have a Garmin but I still miss turns.
  10. everson65

everson65 Intrepidnation

Oddometer:
    Wow now this is SPOT ON. Fantastic info. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Much appreciated my friend.

If you want to join me for part/all of the BDR please by all means let's ride! I plan to ride from north to south. I should be in Colorado and ready to start the northern portion by 9/15. I have to make it to Durango by Friday 9/20 in order to pick up my wife who is going to join me on the AZ BDR for the remainder of our trip. I figure 5 days seems like it is plenty to cover the Colorado portion and still have a little time to sight see. At this point I am planning to ride alone...which I enjoy, but having company is always good too in case things get hairy.
    ibgary likes this.
  11. everson65

everson65 Intrepidnation

Oddometer:
    Which did you prefer? CO or UT? I plan to ride the UT route as well, but I think for this trip I am just going to stick to CO and half of the AZ BDR.
  12. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Utah has some awesome canyon riding, but more sand, and the sand there is like silt. Utah also has more impassable riding if it rains, the mud just becomes miserable. Colorado has higher peaks with more riding above tree lines, but more chances of snow up high. Depending on weather, I prefer colorado up high. Planning my trip now for sep 13-29, both bdrs, trailering out. Got another rider coming down from canada.
  13. offroderman

offroderman n00b

Oddometer:
    I'll be trailering to Cortez area from Illinois to start the COBDR on 9/18. I'll ride it to the Wyoming border and then the link to Utah BDR at Garden City and run that one south to the end and back to Cortez area. I'll be camping and riding solo. XR 650L. Side trip to Salt Lake City for a few days when I'm near there to visit son and cousin. Maybe I'll see you guys on the trail. Be safe
  14. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check the road conditions in the mountains first. Weather is crazy. Lots of fires in Colorado. NORTHER FRONT RANGE SUPPOSE TO GET ONE FOOT OF SNOW TONIGHT AT HIGH ELEVATIONS. Hope it slows down the fires. Getting tired of the smoke.
  15. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    offroaderman, you responded to last years post. This year am riding out east, and the snow and fires were a reason for the change. Riding mabdr and nebdr starting sunday.