Beach bumming Mozambique

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Xpat, Mar 26, 2019.

1. SlowMovinDream

SlowMovinDream Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much for the detailed feedback. It’s timely for me as I’ve been going back and forth between the 80 and the 40 and after a call to Mosko I was convinced the 80 was the best choice but I don’t want a lot of stuff in my way in technical terrain. Good to know about the Mojavi. I pack pretty light but do sometimes need to carry quite a bit of fuel so for that reason I may choose the 80 . If money was no issue would you still choose the 40 for its compactness and do you think the compression straps would lessen the profile of the 80 when not fully packed ?
    Really enjoyed the report and the photography - especially some of the artistic ones like the patterns in the sand .
    Thanks again for the info .
    Xpat likes this.
  2. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    As noted fabulous RR, kudos for riding solo, some of those trails were rough and you'd be SOL if you had a serious get off in the middle of nowhere bush country. Back in 2004 I spent 2+ weeks in MOZ and Kruger/SA on safari, looks like things have improved in some ways and not at all in others. We drove some roads not mapped back then (supposedly only on "secret" MOZ military or old communist military maps), got stopped a few times at checkpoints by military guys with AK47s, but our host was US military (we think he was CIA) and he new what to say to get us through. We went to some beautiful off-grid eco-resort at Ponta Mamoli, looks now to have expanded under a new name and is a luxury resort with electricity. Cheers to ya!
    Xpat likes this.
  3. AussieEvo

AussieEvo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What an excellent RR, loved every part of it! I spent some time working in Tete but never had the chance to see the coast, after reading this and seeing all of the sandy tracks that you can travel along without a fence in sight it makes me want to bite the bullet and get back over there. Did you discover what the problem was with so many rear flats and patches not holding? I'm running pretty much the same set up as you... 2015 501, twenty litre tank and Reckless 40, you can go anywhere with that setup, can't be beat! I'm curious as to what the gold coloured component just near the front sprocket on your bike is?
    Xpat likes this.
  4. Xpat

Xpat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think middle and upper class South Africans are keen on Moz - too african for them. They prefer overseas. The few who venture there in 4x4 usually just hop over the border to Ponto de Ouro in the south. It is truth that driving on EN1 - the only main road heading north from Maputo, is frustrating experience, with constant speed limits and cops waiting with speedtraps everywhere to get some bakshish. But if one can stay off EN1 as I did (even though I basically followed it along the coast up just on little tracks) the vibe you get is completely different, of relaxed tropical paradise without any cop in sight.
    Brick Top likes this.
  5. Xpat

Oddometer:
    Yes Moz - and other African countries north of SA (apart form Namibia which is just SA with different flag) - are one of the last places on the planet where most land is public and fine to ride one, which gives one great freedom to explore.

On the flats - not 100% sure, but here are some of my hypothesis: It was extremely hot and I was for a first time riding Motoz Tractionator tyre at the back. Compared to tyres I usually use like Mitas C02 or Metzeler MC360, it has very soft side wall. As I was riding mostly with low pressures (les than one bar) to keep good traction in sand I suspect the tyre flexed too much which just exacerbrated the heat inside the tyre which probably didn't help with tubes and patches

To be fair the first failure, which was Tubeliss inner that ripped at the valve, is just what happens with these - from what I have seen they have limited lifespan and sooner or later will rip at the valve (happened to me twice and my mate once) - so I just roll with it and now carry spare inner. Once I put tubes in, they started to come appart at the seams after while (no, not puncture). Probably combination of crap quality and heat. THe patches coming off were mostly due to my ineptitude, but I think heat didn't help (at the same time there was group of experienced riders in Botswana, including two guys who own tyre shop, and even they couldn't manage to patch tube successfully - the heat was just too much).

So not sure if the pure Motoz contributed or not, but still I'm not going to be using it anymore. Nothing wrong with the tyre when it works, but the soft sidewall seems to me too delicate (though easy to put on and off).
    AussieEvo likes this.
  6. Xpat

Oddometer:
    Forgot the gold thingy - it is license disk holder, here in SA you need to renew your license disk every year and keep it on the vehicle.
    AussieEvo likes this.
  7. Xpat

Oddometer:
    Nowadays is much more relaxed, except for occassional local flareup of old civil war when RENAMO (party against government coummunist FRELIMO), sets up ambushes on the main roads and people have to travel in military convoys. Didn't happen for a while now, but it doesn't mean it may not. BUt that is usually north of Vilankulos, as the south is siding with FRELIMO.
    DCrider likes this.
  8. Xpat

Oddometer:
    I will be posting my RR from Namibia I did last year next week when back from Easter ride in Botswana.
    windplay, Shaggie and Dillard like this.
  9. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:

:dirtdog
  10. Xpat

Oddometer:
    Shaggie likes this.
  11. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Truly worthy of a bump to the top. Excellent RR. Some hardcore lone wolf riding sir, hats off. Robot I assume, is traffic stop lights? Take Care Petepilot
    DCrider likes this.