Bear country + Motorcycling + tent + food.

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by naruse, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Sparticus

Sparticus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Drip a little bacon grease on the neighbors tent.Or if your neighbor is beezer,your golden.
    Fast Idle and Beezer like this.
  2. tiny-wheel-200

tiny-wheel-200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bear spray (more than 6 months old is way less pepper power)
    Bear canister
    Cook elsewhere
    Remove toothpaste and other scented or perfumed things and keep them in your bear canister.
    Remember they are more afraid of you than you are of them

Bear encounters are less common than you might think and in most cases are much less dramatic. Have a great trip and enjoy the critters
    CamelBill and AKDuc like this.
  3. 4corners14

4corners14 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    5 of us did 4000 miles in Alaska last summer including Tuk and Prudhoe Bay. The only one who saw a bear was the guy who pulled the trailer up through British Columbia. The locals told us they worry a lot more about the moose than the bears. I did see a bear on a poster in Prudhoe. Bring bear spray and pay attention and you'll be fine.
  4. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Grizzly Bear Warning from the Department of Fish and Game

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear conflicts, the Department of Fish and Game is strongly advising Scouts, hikers, hunters, and fishermen to wear little noisy bells tied to their clothing while in the field so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting people to be walking in their habitat. It has also been strongly advised for Scouts and outdoorsmen to carry non-lethal pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.

The Department states it is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity such as fresh tracks and scat. How a person responds to a black bear encounter can be different from a response to a grizzly bear encounter. Therefore, recognizing the type of bear frequenting an area is very important. Anyone spending time in the backcountry should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.

Black bear scat is smaller and contains lots of berries.

Grizzly bear scat has little bells in it and smells like pepper.

upload_2019-2-5_10-18-58.png upload_2019-2-5_10-19-20.png
    outdoorsman, drumdog, godzuki and 4 others like this.
  5. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    Depends on where you are in Alaska and when, that really drives how "Bear Aware" you should be. I'm a lite traveler and I take MRE's, Ramen, and dehydrated food. I boil a gallon of hot water in the mornings for coffee and meals later in the day. I avoid eating where I am going to camp, unless it is a more "tourist campsite" or has camp hosts. If I know I'm going to be alone camping, I eat before I get to camp. Breakfast, I'm packed up except for my "breakfast" and I have no problem cooking and eating breakfast at camp and then moving on. I keep my food and utensils in double layers of zip lock bags, then in dry bags or ammo cans, so I'm not scared to leave them on my bike as dehydrated vacuum sealed meals don't have much if any smell. Trash is the enemy though! If I'm in camp for multiple days or I'm in an area with no way of dumping trash, I sweat a little. I use the 100M triangle method if I'm way way out or if I am staying multiple days....100 meter triangle. Your food stored at least 100m away from where you cook, where you cook is 100m away from where you sleep, where you sleep 100 m away from your food. It is a tedious thing, but could mean never coming face to face with a bear!

I carry bear spray on my person. If I'm going to be way out, I add my m1911 and inreach device to my person.

I have never accidentally run upon a bear in my 6 years in Alaska. I've set up camp right on some giant fresh tracks about 80 miles from nowhere(boated in), but never saw or heard what made them. BTW, yes I am the ass who makes noise and plays the radio and talks very very loud....You're Welcome!!!
  6. wingtraveler

wingtraveler asphalt to dirt

Oddometer:
    Interested heading to wiseman next June 2020 learn all I can on the bear safety will be camping the entire way so very interesting in reading all I can
  7. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Basic rule is just to keep anything that smells like food a good distance from you. 100 ft is good. 100 yards is better.
  8. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    and file down the front sight on your pistol....
    Dogslobber likes this.
  9. X-wing fighter

Oddometer:
    It's funny, everyone coming to Alaska worry about the bears as they are coming up.....but usually talk about the mosquitos after they leave! Mosquitos spill way way way more blood annually than bears do!

Respect the Bear.......Fear the wee beasties!

Carry all the bear spray you want, But forgetting mosquito repellant will really make your day miserable!

You MIGHT see a bear......You WILL see millions of mosquitos!
  10. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep! Standard advice :deal: Bring bear spray for the blackies and grizzlies. Bring a 12 ga. for the skeeters. :nod
    simestd and Bigbob1 like this.
  11. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    From my reading it appears many more folks are killed and injured by moose than bears.
    Motopsychoman likes this.
  12. CardiffKook

CardiffKook Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone use a bear cannister? Hang their food? Use an ursack?

Sound like the answer is mostly no.
  13. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    P1020205.JPG

BV450 sitting on the tail plate of the bike (under my fry pan). I can carry 4 days of food if I need to.
    Not a lot of trees tall enough to hang food in way up North. When there are, I hang my trash.

My BV450 is the same can I take backpacking in the Sierras, so not specifically for motorcycling.
  14. tyrex13

tyrex13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most of the developed campgrounds here have food storage boxes available.
    thirsty 1 likes this.