Bear Notch Road NH Track?

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by garandman, Oct 15, 2008.

1. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Anyone got it? This road runs from Passaconway on RT 112 AKA Kancamagus Highway N to Route 302 in Bartlett. Very scenic, but closed November 1 through the winter, and more importantly, doesn't show up on mapquest!

TIA!
  2. broken1

broken1 All out of fooks

Oddometer:
    This isn't the actual track, I don't know what unit you have or software so this has the route, and a trace of the route in a track.

View attachment 196421

Again this isn't an actual track of me running it, just a track I made tracing it, but it should do. Hope it helps.
  3. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Strange is it shows up on my car GPS, but not the MapSource (corrected) for the Zumo.
  4. broken1

broken1 All out of fooks

Oddometer:
    Do you mean MapSource (Garmin's software) or MapQuest (the mapping web site)?
    Either way, I got it from MapSource's MetroGuide North America V6.
  5. sweetlou

sweetlou small body, big balls

Oddometer:
    Bear Notch Rd is a paved road, FYI. It's probably the worst condition road I was on in NH (and that says a lot because I dont think there is one secondary road in good condition). Tons and tons of sharp bumps, edges, lips, curls, and humps.

I was on a street bike...

I would suggest hurricane mountain road. First time I ever had a street bike airborne! It's about 3/4mile north of N Conway on 302. Check it out!

Lou
  6. g®eg

g®eg Canadian living in exile

Oddometer:
    sure you zoomed in enough?

[​IMG]
  7. Nod-Off

Nod-Off Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FYI. Bear Notch was resurfaced recently (at least a/o Sept '09) and is a very nice, twisty heading north towards Mt Washington Valley from the Kancamangus. I don't recall seeing a sign that said it was closed in winter, though this may be accurate.
    Don
  8. NikonVT

NikonVT Gettin Bruced Again

Oddometer:
    They do close it - I don't know when off the top of my head though. I don't know if it's at first snow or a set date. They will close the gates on both sides. Probably passable on the bike if the gate is closed but not in a vehicle.
  9. SilverSTreak91

SilverSTreak91 Rider

Oddometer:
    This is from a trip I did up there in 2002. The road definitely closes in winter based on weather vs date if I am not mistaken. The way the gates close and lock I don't see how you would get around/under them when closed, even on a bike.

View attachment Bear Notch Rd NH.gpx
  10. davep

davep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was run this spring , before it "officially " opened. Gates were easily bypased. There were large patches of snow and numerous blowdowns making for a rather slow traverse. At least that is what "my friend" told me as I would NEVER knowingly break any laws.
    Dave
  11. jhonny ro

jhonny ro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bear notch is great and so is Hurricane, both tend to have car traffic though.

Try "anything" notch on map - look between sides of any mountain range notch and you are likely to find an old road from some age and state of vehicular history.

Sandwich notch road is right there in the notch, has a few scraps of blacktop, no car traffic. Connects Sandwich NH to Waterville ski area

Jefferson notch road has long unpaved but maintained section. Nice little stream running alongside, looks like 1-2,000 feet of bare bedrock water slide, compare that to Diana's bath at about 100 feet. Crashed my SRX6 there, hooning along, made it home with one handlebar.

Then try Dolly Cap road on northeast side of Washington. Runs northwest from Rt 16 to Rt 2.
  12. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    FWIW, Bear Notch Rd shows up just fine in Google Maps as well:
    http://tinyurl.com/yfxbp8m

And yes, it was repaved this summer. Excellent condition now, nice twisties.

--mark
  13. concours

concours WFO for 48 years

Oddometer:
    FOR SLEDS!!:evil
  14. Bumpedthetrinket

Bumpedthetrinket It is what it is

Oddometer:
  15. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to hear it's been resurfaced:clap ,it was rough on my Harley,and yea it's closed in the winter,there's a sign on the gate that they close over the road.
  16. MWValley

MWValley Pro Motorcycle Gadget Guy (ret.)

Oddometer:
    Yes, the Dolly Copp (not Cap) road is a nice forest road. It's called the Pinkham B road at its northern terminus on US Rt. 2, just west of Gorham, NH. That makes perfect sense really because there are to my knowledge only two roads north out of Pinkham Notch. Rt 16 (would be Pinkham A road?) and Dolly Copp. If in this area, be sure to ride Jefferson Notch Road, Old Cherry Mountain Road, Hurricane Mountain Road, Evans Notch (Rt 113), and if you have the time, Sandwich Notch Road and the Tripoli Road too.

Cheers!