Bearing kits. All Balls v Prox v Pivot Works

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Jan 14, 2016.

1. FatBoyCrash

FatBoyCrash Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer:
    What experience have you had with bearing 'kits', i.e. wheel bearing/ steering/ linkage / swingarm and seal kits? Im looking to do a complete refurb on a 10 year old bike. I purchased all balls for a husqvarna a couple of years ago and was very dissapointed by the cheap quality chinese bearings in it.

I know with enough persistence you could do the rounds of bearing shops and get some of the bearings, but I live in woop woop and that adds an exponential level of difficulty. If it aint on a bulldozer or Hardly Dangerous your screwed.

What have you used? You got them online from?
  2. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    ALL BALLS. Not proven as Ive just fitted. Bought through local shop.
  3. GSXR

GSXR Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    All Balls are shit. Easily the worst, followed by Pro X and Pivot Works is best
    BygDaddee likes this.
  4. hoorang

hoorang Rather be riding than working

Oddometer:
    Don't bother with pyramid parts off ebay quality equivalent to all balls or worse.

I complained when I managed to mushroom the edge of a bearing cone in a head stem. Their response was my use of excessive force when installing???

Now I've chipped bearing races before but this crap was made of butter.

Oh and the seller is in NZ whilst saying Australia so expect 10 days + for delivery.
    Tee Dee Mmm and Kenno like this.
  5. FatBoyCrash

Oddometer:
    So far one vote for pivot works... What brand bearings are in them?
  6. Johns-Bikes

Johns-Bikes Pre GS12 LC *****...

Oddometer:
    Yeah I have a set of All Balls to fit also, the originals that came out were good SKF, and I hoped the same would be in the spares kit from Penrith Husky, but no...

Even considering sending the "kit" back, and just buying the two seals and good bearings locally?

Any thoughts ?

Cheers John
    FatBoyCrash likes this.
  7. buckscreek

buckscreek AUTODIDACTIC

Oddometer:
    Persist with tracking down good quality brgs if you can. Headstem sizing is often difficult but you will be rewarded for your efforts. My experience with a number of different kits has been disappointing.
    FatBoyCrash likes this.
  8. John 171

John 171 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SKF bearings are now made in india.
    I found they were no better than the All Balls bearings.
  9. GSXR

GSXR Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    Link International distribute good quality headset bearing kits.

I can't recall the branding, but your dealer should have no trouble sourcing them
  10. FatBoyCrash

Oddometer:
    SKF is now made in India??

Stop the planet. It's time to get off.

Accountant's and clowns in suits...........
  11. Johns-Bikes

Johns-Bikes Pre GS12 LC *****...

Oddometer:
    The OEM bearing is SKF RBT1B 329013 A/Q.

Local Bearing service guys say BSC have never had this one nor can match size, inner is 29mm outer is 50.3 mm (edited as I found the specs online later).

eBay shows Netherlands supplier cheapest at about $19 each but postage is $53 AU.

So I'll stick the cheapo All Balls in with lots of good grease and block off the stem hole and cap the top too. As I don't get a lot of riding in they may last me a while...

Thanks for the fast replies all.

Cheers John
  12. duckslider

duckslider unintentionaldrifter

Oddometer:
    Fitted All Balls bearings in rear wheel of my DR650 2 years ago.Done over 15000kms since.....no drama:-)
  13. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...and France, Bulgaria, China etc etc

http://www.skf.com/cn/en/our-company/SKF-in-china/index.html

Usually easier to find in Oz bearing shops are the Jap-made Nachi's...no idea if anyone wraps them into "kits".
    Swingarm bearings are often needle-roller type and sold aftermarket in AUS under the Torrington banner (sub-company of Jtekt/Koyo).
    FatBoyCrash likes this.
  14. OC

OC Long timer

Oddometer:
    And SKF build to a standard regardless of where they're made. Leave the Chinese and Indians to their own devices and their bearings are not worth the recycled Fords and Holdens they're made from.
    ferals5 and FatBoyCrash like this.
  15. John 171

John 171 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The standards man must have been looking the other way when I bought mine. Soft, poorly ground, not the SKF I use to know, disappointing.
    The Jap stuff seems to be better.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  16. felixblack1

felixblack1 Burgers

Oddometer:
    Used all balls in a dr650 and had no issues. Bought the rear upgrade kit for 525 and lasted 1500kms. Replaced them with upgrade kit from eBay seller TPS Racing. SS spacers, German FAG bearings, and double lipped seals. From memory $10 more then the all balls kit. Think he only provides for Ktm, husaberg and Honda
  17. OC

OC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Counterfeits are a real problem for SKF and other big name manufacturers. Sounds like that is what you got.
    ferals5 likes this.
  18. dave43

dave43 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have just put Koyo and BJB bearings in a machine and both are made in Japan AFIK. I popped the seals to add grease and the Koyos had no visible grease outside the ball cage whereas the BJBs did. For standard ball races just measure the outside dimensions of the old one if you can't read the numbers on it. Then order the brand of your choice.
    I add a bit of moly grease and that extends the life by at least double in my experience. Whatever you buy, add grease - thats what keeps em going !
    I don't know why people try to save money by buying cheap bearings. Good ones don't need to be changed often.
    FatBoyCrash likes this.
  19. OC

OC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aha. Lots of people looking for the best price on brand name products including brand names for repackaged bearings, thinking they're getting the real deal and getting duped. It is hard to fault that. Knowingly buying cheap bearings is a different story.

It's probably worth mentioning that most sealed bearings don't need to be more than about 1/4 full with grease. They shouldn't be full and that often causes problems. A rule of thumb for servicing wheel bearings for example is to push the grease in with a seal on the other side, then wipe all of the grease out of the open side with a finger tip. That'll be about 1/2 full +/- and is more than enough.
    FatBoyCrash likes this.
  20. FatBoyCrash

Oddometer:
    In my experience, buying the bearings is usually OK. But getting the bike specific seals is way harder.

Thanks oldcodger for the tip. I would have filled the whole thing up chocka block.... I had a mate pop the seals and regrease his new bearings. The front wheel one failed half way into a ride. So I had been wary of doing it. I wonder if it was because he overfilled??