Bears along the Trans Lab Highway

Discussion in 'Canada' started by DHub, Dec 3, 2005.

1. DHub

DHub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have read a bunch of threads about bears and I think I've got what the right and wrong things to do in bear country are. I am going to Goose Bay, Labrador and Newfoundland this June and was wondering if there are areas along the Trans Lab. Highway that are problem bear spots where I should not camp.
  2. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius)

Oddometer:
    We had a problem with beers, but didn't see any bears at all.

We camped in an actual campground in Lab City. Not worried about bears there with others around. You can then go on to Goose Bay in one day. There is no real need to go to the bush unless you want to.

Beer though is very expensive and there were only 3 choices which all tasted the same:puke1 Then there was a hefty deposit for which we never seemed to be able to collect on. I am a bit a of a beer snob but I would pack some for next time.

Brian
  3. Deleted20078

Deleted20078 Guest

I've never actually rode this hgihway but living in Quebec, I KNOW you should be al lot more concerned with the mosquitoes up there, than bears.....
  4. The Shepherd

The Shepherd Lord of Mondays

Oddometer:
    The black flies and mosquitos will drive bears out of the woods onto roads and railway tracks. Forget about bears and bring a bug hat and lots of bug dope.
  5. jetdoctor

jetdoctor Master of the Obvious

Oddometer:
    I have ridden the Trans Lab, and did not see any bears. I did see a pack of wolves on the Orma Lake Road outside of Churchill Falls. The bears are more prevelent during the Caribou hunts which is why they will not let you dispose of the hides/entrails near the road.
    I concur on the need for a bug hat and dope.
    On my recent trip to Alaska I carried my food in Ursacks in a bear vault (plastic keg) I got from Campmor. I put the food a hundred yards away in spots that a bear would not roll it away. I strapped the bear vault on the top of my pannier where it was handy for snacks during the day.
    I have had problems with critters of all sizes from ants to skunks, so bears are not the only concern. It pays to protect your food.
    I seem to make a big portion of my milage in the evenings so it is nice to be able to whip up a freeze dried entree or soup for dinner without having to look for a restaurant. Believe me there are not many in Labrador.
    In any case it would be a shame to just blast acrossed Labrador, I really enjoyed looking around.
    Cheers,
    Doug