Bears and Tents in Alaska

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Bigguy136, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    Look for Mylar bags, better scent protection.
    apexal likes this.
  2. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    I've been told of the Browns on Kodiak and the significant danger they present while hunting black tail. Most outfitters keep their hunters on boats off shore at night and another always stands guard with a loaded big bore after a black tail is shot. Locals basically say shooting a black tail is like ringing the dinner bell for the largest browns in North America. They feed on the gut pile after all black tail kills and it is common for them to arrive early prior to the hunter finishing gutting the deer. Kodiak Island, probably the most dangerous place to hunt or camp overnight in North America.
    MarcoSolo likes this.
  3. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    This will tell (tracks) you what type of bear might have been making noise in the middle of the night around your camp

upload_2019-7-10_13-8-57.png

• When black bear tracks are clear, they can be distinguished from a grizzly's track by the curved line made by the front toes. The black bear's claws leave little or no imprint in front of the toes.
    • When they are clear, grizzly tracks can be distinguished from a black bear by the comparatively straight line made by the toes. The claw imprints are easier to see, usually 2 to 3 inches in front of the toes.
    • In adult black bear tracks, the front print is 10 to 13 centimetres (4 to 5 inches) long and the back print is 15 to 23 centimetres (6 to 9 inches) long.
    • In grizzly tracks, the front print is 13 to 18 centimetres (5 to 7 inches) and the back print is 25 to 30 centimetres (10 to 12 inches) long.
    This link provides some valueable details besides the differentiation of tracks:

https://www.alberta.ca/know-your-bears.aspx

4. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank God that my planned trips are at most in black bear territory. Except in northern Newfoundland where an occasional hungry polar bear rides in on an ice floe. But I think that only happens in the springtime.
  5. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
  6. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wrong! :deal

TL;DR:
    Cougar (admittedly not a bear) attacks bicyclist 1
    Bicyclist 2 runs away
    Cougar's attention is drawn to bicyclist 2, chases and kills him
    Bicyclist 1 gets away
  7. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Sounds like bicyclist 2 had it coming...
    Bayner and MapMaster like this.
  8. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:

Admittedly indeed! Cats and bears are different animals! Might as well bring zombies into the conversation.:deal
    HeadShrinker likes this.
  9. MarcoSolo

MarcoSolo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly. My friend barely made it to the hospital in Kodiak. He was a big muscular guy about 300# and the bear picked him up by the buttock/thigh and shook him in the air, dropped him and began trying to crush him by pouncing on his chest with his forefeet. I know of stories where a Kodiak brown bear kept coming after having been hit a half dozen times with a .458 Winchester mag but the guy who shot the bear attacking my friend killed him with a .270 - lucky shot in the eye when the bear rose to pounce.

You reminded me - my wife and a friend were kayak camping near Sitka but were driven off the beach by bears in the late evening - still light enough to see. They were bobbing around offshore and a guy on a trawler picked them up and let them spend the night on his boat.

Funny thing is with all this concern about camping in bear country - I was at Rainier in my car and a bear and a cub were in a meadow and there were about 10 or 15 people out of their cars following the bears as they ambled away, trying to get closer and closer to take pictures. A ranger pulled up and got out and fussed at them about the danger they were in. When he got minimal response he said something like "Screw you.", got back in his truck and took off. Same story at McKinley - two young brown bears foraging a river bed and people were stopping in the middle of the road and jumping out of their cars maybe 20 or 30 yards from the bears snapping pictures. Again last fall near Dubois, WY - bunch of people on the side of the road taking pictures of a brown bear in a stream that flowed under the road with nothing but the metal crash barrier between them and the bear. The mother bear at Rainier seemed anxious with the crowd following her but the brown bears seemed entirely indifferent.

I know this thread is about bear but moose kill a lot more people in AK than bears - it's hard to believe how fast those ungainly looking things can move until you've seen one really pissed off. Yet I've seen tourists walk right up in front of one like it was a statue and take pictures - crazy.
    Fast1 likes this.
  10. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    The campground at Lake Louise in Bannf Jasper has an electric fence running the around the perimeter for tent camper safety
    if you feel the need while passing through that park.

https://www.pbase.com/image/117954042

upload_2019-7-10_19-36-27.png

I once was at the Lake Magog Campground, BC (hiked in 18 miles) at the base of Mount Assiniboine with the plan to ascend the peak while there.

When my climbing friend and I arrived they were helicoptering everyone out (free) due to a dangerous grizzly that had visited the preceding few nights.

We decided to take our chances and stay but we certainly gathered alot of wood and had a huge fire going the entire night. The next day we got up to a vantage point and glassed for a few hours in prep for our assent the next day. Did not spot any grizzlies but the ascent was terminated the second day due to snow (this was in August).

[​IMG]

Nothing like getting off the intent of the thread.. sorry
  11. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've camped in that Lake Louise campground several times. It's the only secure campground in the area. I've also camped at the Lake Magog campground on our way to reconnoiter Assiniboine. There was a warning sign for an aggressive grizzly in the area. Sure enough, he came into the campground just after dark. I was never so scared in my entire life.
    Fast1 likes this.
  12. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Something available that hasn't been brought up are lightweight electric fences made for camping in bear country.

https://www.udap.com/mm5/product/BEF

I'll probably buy one for my backcountry camp this coming elk season. Something to consider. Weighs just over 3 lbs and runs on 2 D cell batteries that are supposed to last 5 weeks. Protects a camp 27' by 27'.
    Fast1 likes this.
  13. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two D cell batteries have enough juice to repel a bear? Really?
  14. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    The batteries charge a series of capacitors in the box labeled "D".
  15. LadyApex

LadyApex n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been super nervous about my solo trip next week I'm going through bear central basically (WY/ID/MT) So i started researching camping off my bike in bear territory and it led me here. So much helpful information here. Thanks everyone.
    apexal likes this.
  16. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    bear-areas-map.gif

The big Brown Bears (grizzly) in the lower 48 is very limited in range. In Wyo. and Idaho they are pretty much limited to Yellowstone NP. While it is prudent to always be "Bear Aware", you would be very lucky to see a Grizzly in the lower 48 outside of Yellowstone or Glacier National Parks. Canada and Alaska are a completely different story.

Many of my fellow Geologist spend a great deal of time field mapping in bear habitat and following is an article where the map above was provided:

https://geology.com/stories/13/bear-areas/
    Reddog* likes this.
  17. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
  18. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:

19. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    B803AE49-4E1D-44C1-8D2F-D17171DC2417.jpeg Engineer Creek Campground Yukon last summer.
    bomose, knight, Roqon and 2 others like this.
  20. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Dude, efffffffffff that.

I won't be sad if I don't see a single bear on my trip!
    KevinP65 likes this.