Bears! (Lake Nipigon Area?)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MikeyMan, Jun 24, 2005.

1. MikeyMan

MikeyMan Adventure Dude

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know how likely it is to run into bears on the road (back roads, logging roads) in the Lake Nipigon area at this time of year? Two years ago, we encountered a black bear crossing the road as we entered Sleeping Giant camping area. Was that just a chance encounter?

If the answer is "yes, welcome to bear country" what is the best way to prepare? Pepper Spray? Quick use of throttle? Pray that my buddy looks more appetizing?

:eek1
  2. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    I did a lot of research on bears a few years ago 'cause I was head'n to Grizzle country and would be hike'n alone. A guy had been killed and eaten by a grizzle family, momma and her cubs, how cute, :lol3 about 30 days before I was to leave on my trip in the same area I was head’n.

The best advice I got was, "if yur scared of bears, stay outta da woods" :lol3

If you start do'n a lot of google searches you will start to get a lot of great info and with enough research you will start to sort out the fact from the fiction...

Advice will cover, food storage, reading bear behavior, and defensive /survival tactics if attacked. How you respond to a perceived aggressive encounter is different depending on if it is a black or brown bear, male or female with cubs, day or night and the behavior the bear was displaying prior to the encounter or attack.

There is a lot of good info out there but very few absolute correct answers.
  3. ekaphoto

ekaphoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Remember you don'thave to be able to out ride the bear, just your buddy.

Actually don't worry about black bears for the most part. I have ran into more than I can count and never had a problem. Every one runs whae it sees me. Read up on what to do and not do, yo will be fine. If you must carry something carry pepper spray, but chances are you will never need it.
  4. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Crystal River, where the swamp gas rises.
    Don't worry about the bears but, don't envite them to dinner either! Keep your camp clean, don't keep your food where you sleep/camp. Make a bit of noise when out and about (hiking, taking a dump, etc). I've found the vast majority of bears don't want want to be near humans. Can't really blame 'em! Carry pepper spray, (get the good stuff) and check Canandian laws before you carry it into their country. If your too worried, camp with someone you can out run and out manuver!:kurt
  5. Ontario GS

Ontario GS Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer:
    Hang pork lard dipped in honey on your buddy's bike, you shouldn't have a problem. :rofl

I don't believe you can legally bring pepper spray into Canada, at least I have been asked more than once at border-crossing if I had pepper spray.
  6. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Black bears? Generally if you don't bother them, they won't bother you.
    In 48 years of living here, I have had many encounters with bears, (a lot of them on foot) and ZERO problems. If you are bringing your significant other, and she's on her period, I would tend to get hotel rooms for that time.

Keep your food away from where you're sleeping.

They generally don't want trouble any more than you do.

Now moose on the other hand....

EDIT: I forgot, we did have a guy from Michigan get attacked last year.
    Turns out he was feeding the bear M&M's , while videotaping,and it got pissed off when he ran out of candy, and attacked him.

He called the cops and demanded that the bear should be destroyed.
    They checked out his video camera. Too bad the dumbass didn't get hisself killed.

Darwin at best.