Beartooth Highway May 2020

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by wobbly one, Jun 21, 2020.

1. wobbly one

wobbly one Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Fellow Travelers. Just a quick photo dump that might be of interest to those who are thinking of riding the Beartooth Highway early in the season. The Wyoming and Montana DOT do a pretty good job at trying to open things up by Memorial Day each year. These photos are from a 5/31/20 ride.

I had been moping around and getting a belly full of this shelter-in-place stuff when my hot wife said “Can't you just please go for a ride somewhere”. Being wired as a people pleaser, I said absolutely and quickly arranged with a friend of mine to ride over the Beartooth and into Cooke City. I had heard they had cold beer and delicious sandwiches. So with Whiskey in the Jar playing in my helmet and a very enthusiastic wave from my hot wife I hit the dusty trail.

Near Fishtail Montana IMG_1342-1.jpg
    IMG_1347-1.jpg

Aw Yeah, springtime in Montana
    IMG_1348-1.jpg
    IMG_1349-1.jpg
    IMG_1354-1.jpg
    IMG_1357-1.jpg
    If you are looking to make an early season run over the top I'd recommend a couple things - suit up like SpaceX just called your number, and bring your welding goggles. It was in the 40's up top and the wind was gusting 20-30mph.
    IMG-6311-1.jpg
    IMG-6321-1.jpg
    IMG_1363-1.jpg
    IMG_1365-1.jpg
  2. wobbly one

Oddometer:
    A few more...
    IMG_1369-1.jpg
    IMG_1374-1.jpg
    IMG_1377-1.jpg

Pilot Peak and Index Peak. Cooke City is just on the other side of these.
    IMG_1380-1.jpg
    Cold beer and delicious sandwiches at the Beartooth Cafe. Highly recommend.
    IMG_1381-1.jpg

Lake Creek. Fishing wasn't too good...
    IMG_1387-1.jpg

Looking down the Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone (Chief Joseph Highway)
    IMG_1390-1.jpg
    Be good, ride safe.
    IMG_1399-1.jpg
  3. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    Awesome shots. Thanks for sharing.

Beartooth and Chief Joseph are two of the most beautiful roads I've ever ridden. From a riding perspective, Yellowstone was a let-down after those two.

Any bear sightings? When I got to Clay Butte Lookout, the docents told me they had been watching two grizzlies just over the hill from the dirt road. They ducked out of sight (further away from the road) just before I arrived. Not something I want to come across on a big clumsy motorcycle.
    krautman, wobbly one and sealsam like this.
  4. CJSRider

CJSRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is what it looked like on June 8, 2019 There was a lot of snow last year and I almost did not get to ride Beartooth due to it not being opened. I was a great ride that day. IMG_0708.JPEG
  5. wobbly one

Oddometer:
    Thanks Donkey Hotey - I would agree with your comment on Yellowstone - just scads and scads of people to deal with. Your question regarding bear sightings is very timely and serves as a good precaution to those travelling early season. The mamas are just introducing their new little ones to the world and they do what all good mamas do, so it's a good thing to keep your radar on high and give them wide berth. We did not see any bear but here is a link to a video of a grizzly going after a car that was shot in the vicinity of where we were riding just a couple weeks after we were there.
    Donkey Hotey likes this.
  6. wobbly one

Oddometer:
    Glad you got a chance to ride it CJSRider. Looks like you had a nice day. Early season is a great time to ride it.
  7. CJSRider

CJSRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I looks like from your pictures the weather was great, other than being a little cool. You have some great pictures. I feel blessed that the weather was clear when I went.
    wobbly one likes this.
  8. shupe

shupe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pics.
    I tried it in August 2013. Rode up the Chief Joe and at the fork a state trooper stopped us.
    Road closed due to smoke from wild fires. Dammit.
    Have to go back.
    wobbly one likes this.
  9. wobbly one

Oddometer:
    Thanks Shupe. Hopefully you can make it again soon. That's a long ride from FL. The Beartooth isn't as spectacular when the air is smoky or hazy, but still fun. This year the air has largely been crystal clear. One of the benefits of COVID and quarantines I guess. Well look at me getting all positive about things!
  10. wobbly one

Oddometer:
    Thanks CJS Rider - come back soon.
  11. R1100RTRider

R1100RTRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    May 2, 2009
    DSC02329.JPG
  12. shupe

shupe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, all things considered, you chose wisely to go in early June even with the risks then.
    I was surprised how hot it was in August, all the way through Iowa, SD and WY.
    wobbly one likes this.
  13. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was there last July and there wasn't much snow. But, speaking of bears, we were in Glacier and people were getting out of their cars to see one on the side of the road. Being on a bike, I was a little apprehensive. I pointed my camera as I went by and luckily got a shot of him behind some trees. IMG_5976.JPG IMG_6093.JPG IMG_6094.JPG
    freewaystreak, fjring and wobbly one like this.
  14. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wobbly.... with all due respect, you can't make mention of "hot wife" without posting up pics of "hot wife"......

Them's the rules..... :rofl

Unless of of course said "hotness" had more to do with the fact that she had had about enough of your overstuffed arse hanging around on the couch all day and was about to blow her lid if you didn't vamoose and give her her house to herself for a day..... :lol2
  15. wobbly one

Oddometer:
    Dang R1100RTRider - that's some snow. Nice you got to make it up that early in the year.
  16. wobbly one

Oddometer:
    Nice photos bomose. Wow - I believe those good folk may have just dodged a bullet! Darwin seems to test his hypothesis in the darndest of places.
    bomose likes this.
  17. wobbly one

Oddometer:
    Sheesh Ivscrvs - you are a demanding sort. I don't have many, but let me paw around and see what I can find. Ok. here's one.. And yes, she is Italian so "hot" is sometimes a nuanced adjective in the wobbly household.
    IMG_0898-1.jpg
  18. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm just funnin with ya Wobbly. I am half Italian myself so know a thing or two about mediterranean blood. Temperatures do rise dramatically at times..... :lol3

Enjoying your pics btw.... keep them coming..... :thumb
    wobbly one likes this.
  19. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice little write up!

Jeez, I gotta get back to Montana......
    Foot dragger and wobbly one like this.
  20. wobbly one

Oddometer:
    Hey Bigger Al - good to hear from you - I hope the world is treating you well. I agree - you need to get to Montana. Give me a shout if you do. This dang virus mumbo jumbo has my summer trip schedule all in limbo. It's looking like I'll just be getting some rides in around the state.
    Bigger Al likes this.