Beartooth Highway May 2020

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by wobbly one, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Things are going pretty nicely down here, thanks. Hope it's the same for you.

I saw this morning that the air races have been cancelled. I expected it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Montana isn't going to happen this year, unfortunately. Too much other stuff to take care of. Next year, however.........
    Thinking of another ride to Glacier via the Lolo Pass Highway, then Yellowstone. I will hit you up if it happens.
    wobbly one likes this.
  2. wobbly one

wobbly one Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thought I would throw a few more in here from the same ride 1 month later, 6/27/20, so you can see the changes in snow and stuff. It was 55 degrees up top and very little wind.
    Every once in a while the Man throws down a blue bird day just for you, and today was one of those days. I que up some Doobie Brothers and press on.

IMG_1487-1.jpg
    Gotta love us quirkie Montana folk.
    IMG_1488-1.jpg
    Heading out of Red Lodge
    IMG_1491-1.jpg
    IMG_1496-1.jpg
    IMG_1502-1.jpg

This is shot about mid-way up, looking up. I did not get a shot here last month but the water was raging here pretty good.
    IMG_1498-1.jpg

This is from up top looking down that same view. Now I am a little spooked of heights, but in a manly way of course. But this view from over the guardrail had me a little rattled. Heaven forbid you stub your toe up here - they'd pick your parts up on the road.
    IMG_1515-1.jpg

A lot less snow.
    IMG_1518-1.jpg
    IMG_1522-1.jpg
    MYUMPH, bomose and Bigger Al like this.
  3. Anby

Anby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos. My wife and I are doing a trip from California to Maryland. Does the Beartooth Highway have unpaved sections? That unpaved road in the photo looks great, but milady is not up for any unpaved road.
    wobbly one likes this.
  4. wobbly one

Oddometer:
    Hello Anby. The Beartooth is all paved and you won't have any issues at all. The gravel road where the photos were taken is roughly shown below by the dashed line. It is a very smooth gravel road and I would highly encourage you and your Lady's intrepid spirits to investigate this area a little bit if you have a few hours. The X's on the map represent the ends of two nice and scenic roads (the East and West Rosebud Creeks). Fantastic scenery and not too many out-of-state travellers find these hidden gems. Be sure and grab a cold beverage and a delicious sandwich at the Grizzly Bar in Roscoe.
    ROSCOE-1.jpg
    Anby likes this.
  5. wobbly one

Oddometer:
    Ok, a few more and then I'll hang a tail on this.
    These next two photos go out to my fellow conspiracy minded buddies. Pink Snow. Three years ago the snow fields were pink for as far as the eye could see. Not just a little pink - a lotta pink. On this trip the spots were fewer but still quite noticeable. Make of it what you will.
    IMG_1541-1.jpg
    IMG_1536-1.jpg

On the road into Cooke City
    IMG_1551-1.jpg
    IMG_1556-1.jpg
    IMG_1558-1.jpg

My travelling companions. A mean and desperate lot. For gawds sake, whatever you do, don't look them in the eye.
    IMG_1545-1.jpg
    On our way back we peeled off and went down the Chief Joseph Highway - always a smart choice. This bridge is at the bottom and passes over a very rugged canyon that contains the Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone - more on this in a few.
    IMG_1569-1.jpg
    On the way up to the top of Dead Indian Summit.
    IMG_1579-1.jpg
    Looking east from the summit and I immediately re-jigger my retirement plans ( I am quite fickle and do that a lot these days). To the upper left is Sunlight Basin. When my lottery winnings start to roll in I think I am going to swing a current cabin owner an offer they can't refuse.
    IMG_1581-1.jpg
    MYUMPH and Anby like this.
  6. Anby

Anby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing the information. I will try to convince my wife, but I am not holding my breath. I might do it next year. This year I riding my motorcycle and she is driving our Nissan Altima. No way she is going for a ride on my motorcycle, and doesn't want to drive off pavement. She doesn't let me drive when we are together, but maybe I can con her to let me sit in the driver's seat for a minute.....