Because How, that's why!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Shooby, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few months ago, the daily grind was, really grinding on me. I had to get out and away. Way, way away. Solo or no, I was going riding. Finally Karma paid off and FZcruzer, my riding buddy shared those sentiments and asked, "You're familiar with Heart of the West, right?" Come on, what adv'r hasn't'? When can you go? I answered. Departure day couldn't get here fast enough. Coincidentally, FZ's available vaca fell on the timeslot that my wife & I had a visitor planning to stay with us. Win / Win! (see below) :clap Karma paying off in spades now!

[​IMG]

:lol3

Why did we choose the HOW route ? Because this:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

And lots more of that to follow. I bought a new Fuji / rugged / wp / Point n shoot on a lanyard connected to the tankbag so the photo journal will consist of primarily while riding / while at camp / while on breaks between riding and camp. :D Mostly landscape, the bike, the bike within landscape, etc. you know, the usual. As soon as FZ gets his editing program out from under his iRace equipment, we'll have video and other pics for you as well. We returned late September from 11 or so days of riding. It wasn't enough. But then, it never is, right?

This is my first RR so naturally I imagined we would be producing an award winning report to rival some of ADV's greats. This takes time and effort that I was not actually putting into an RR so one adv'r who had initial plans to join us pm'd me last week and asked as to the RR status. Told him it was waiting for my artful and literary inspirations to guide me to said RR award. In his most sage and mentoring demeanor, he responded.... "look, just post some pics and say a few words,..that's all we're looking for anyway". Ok, here we go, delving into RR realm (talk about performance anxiety...:eek1)

So Join us won't you as we take you on another edition of
    "Heart of the West"'

Let's ride !
  2. stoke

stoke ocean minded

Oddometer:
    Those pics are sick!!! What a great experience. Looking forward to reading/seeing more. Oh, and a write up about that rut you hit and bent the wheel on :eek1
  3. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bro! glad to have you along. But uh...

[​IMG]

4. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    Nice start. :lurk
  5. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had the Pic account for awhile now, to just load a few pics here and there for various pic 1-2 posts. APPARENTLY, PBucket doesn't appreciate one's attempts to drag n drop 50-60 pics simultaneously into an album so I'll just be over here, for a little bit... you know, loading pics n stuff.

Day one's installment will be with you shortly.

In the meantime, I was :ddoggoing to ask ya'll near the end of the report, but might as well ask it now......

Ya think this'll buff out ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doesn't look too bad from here, but there were stress wrinkles. And This is just the more obvious dings on this rim. (OK, in 2, 1,.."THEY ALL DO THAT!"..)
    Quite surprised it didn't pinch flat, symmetrically on both sides. After ShooBride saw it upon our return she was so concerned about this now compromised wheel, she insisted I get a hold of Woody's wheels. It's a safety issue.
    I'll get more detailed pics without the tire soon for closer collective inspection.

Will also look into appropriate sized photos... :thumb

For the Record, it was ever Alert Rider Rob who noticed this when we stopped to fuel up. Had been riding merrily along like this for half a day following a bottomed out , shoulder jarring rut smack.
  6. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    Might buff out with a hammer. :rofl
  7. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's been discussed for sure.

Well, I'd like ya'll's opinion on that since it's the spare now. Two Bike shops in town looked at it with a shake of the head:nah said, "eesh, ya uh,I don't think so"..

How about lacing up a 19" on it for commuting / hooliganing ?

Well, more detailed wheel pics later.
  8. stoke

stoke ocean minded

Oddometer:
    Cast rims, the day's ride probably would of been over vs keep riding though, gotta love that!
  9. bruceo

bruceo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In!!! :lurk
  10. FZcruzer

FZcruzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About time you got on this :D

I have a picture of that rock with you in it.

[​IMG]
  11. FZcruzer

Oddometer:
    What a great ride this was.

[​IMG]
  12. FZcruzer

Oddometer:
    I have found it nice to have the author of a ride report choose a font color that sets it apart from others that are contributing to the thread.

<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Looks like Shooby has picked orange, probably a subconscious reflection of his preferred choice of bike. I am going to go with green so you can choose to read or not read my often ramblings that may not have any value what so ever.

After seeing what green looks like on my screen and phone, I am going to go with orange also.
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
  13. FZcruzer

Oddometer:
    As Shooby Stated, we were both eager to take a trip and get away for a while. We decided on the HOW loop and started planning a few months before the trip date. Although I have made many trips on various bikes in the past, this was my first two week trip that included camping without having a base camp.

Traveling around 3,000 miles of mostly dirt carrying camping gear dictated that I review my gear choices. As you can see in pictures of my bike, I ended up carrying more than I wanted to. I could have reduced lots of bulk and some weight by purchasing higher end gear. Most of the bulk that I ended up carrying was my sleeping bags, yes bag(s), plural, as in more than one.
    [​IMG]
    The above picture illustrates how my bike ended up being loaded.

Right Saddle bag – 4 man Kelty tent, rain fly and tarp.

Left saddle bag – personnel stuff, clothes, toiletries, snacks, everything for ME except a fork

Blue bag on rack – Camp pad, chair, electric vest, Jetboil, rain gear etc…

Yellow bag on rack – 20 Degree sleeping bag and 40 Degree sleeping bag. For those that know me, I am not a very compact guy so finding a bag that would work for the possible low temps (20’s) and be compact was pricy. I chose to have the extra bulk and be able to double up the bags if needed.

Black bag on top of everything - this is actually a 12 pack Polar Bear collapsible ice chest. This item, although bulky was fantastic to have on the trip as I am sure will be mentioned later.

Tank bag – Electronics and day use items.

4” tool tube attached to starboard luggage rack – all tools and emergency repair items.
  14. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice Rock!
  15. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    n
  16. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Yep...just post some pics... :D
    They're lookin' pretty good.

:clap
  17. FZcruzer

Oddometer:
    Being that we would be riding in pretty remote areas we wanted to have descent bike to bike communications. We both already had Sena headsets but wanted more range and to have a push to talk system. Neither of us are chatters, but we wanted to be able to warn each other of oncoming traffic or other hazards, and to be able to ride separate from each other to stay out of the dust and experience the emptiness that is out there. We both chose the Sena SR10 and Baofeng ham radios. The radios have a proven track record and at an amazing price of $35 for a 5 watt dual band ham radio.

[​IMG]

The COSTCO card is only in the picture for a size reference. I bought a online study guide and passed the ham exam a couple weeks later.
  18. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    In!!!
  19. FZcruzer

Oddometer:
    While in the planning phase, Shooby and I were in contact almost daily:norton

We had 15 days for the entire trip including getting there and back. We decided to run the HOW loop counter clockwise vice the normal clockwise direction. We also took out everything West of Salt Lake City to give us more time in the areas that we were most interested in.

These alterations gave us a couple day cushion for the unexpected, or if we wanted to hangout someplace just because.

Here is my planning partner helping as best as she can.
    [​IMG]

We also decided to save our tires and haul the bikes the 800 miles each way in my van. I use the van to haul bikes all the time but had never had two large bikes in it at the same time. So had to test load mine to see if there would be room for both before showing up at Shooby's place and not be able to make them fit.

[​IMG]
  20. FZcruzer

Oddometer:
    I needed to go to San Diego the week before the trip for business. So I loaded up my bike and picked up Shooby's bike since he lives in the area. Both bikes fit with plenty of room to spare.

As luck would have it I was sick while visiting, Shooby let me drive his amazing show car while I was there, turned out to be an interesting ride :eek1. Maybe he can post a pic and explain the experience if he so chooses.

Since we were taking the van we needed a place to stage it and maybe a place to stay before and after the trip. I found inmate Flashmo in the tent space thread and he offered up his place near Herber City Utah.

One of the last items on my list before going was to get a manageable haircut.

[​IMG]

Kind of scary..:huh

Think I am going to stop now and wait for Scooby to find the time to post.