Beemer Beemer chicken deener!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JMo (& piglet), Apr 16, 2018.

1. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    Option Three!!!!
    I'm loving the look and option of the smaller CB125X as an ADV platform. Plus there is the potential for another @JMo (& piglet) adveture ride report, and you can redefine the minimalist adventure.
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  2. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    I couldn't possibly comment, other than if that bike comes out looking even close to the way it does now with a 300cc engine - I'm having one!

Jx
  3. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I vote ship a bike east, the whole northern half of the east coast is waiting for you in 2 countries.:lol3
    cujof16, 1litre and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  4. worthydog

worthydog Shosholoza Supporter

Oddometer:
    JMo, I enjoyed the research you did here. thanks. If you and your friends talked it through, how did you compare the Honda and BMW to the DR650?. The DR is Fred Flintstones ADV bike, but the weight is similar to the BMW and it might be better on the highway than the Honda.
    slime likes this.
  5. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Worthydog - the DR650 is a great old-skool thumper trail bike, but with the greatest of respect, the Honda CB500X is in a completely different league on the highway...

The Honda basically rides like a much larger twin on the road - it will sit all day at 70-80mph, with more for overtaking - plus has an Iron-butt comfortable saddle and large fuel tank/fairing etc. Basically the Honda feels like a road bike on the highway, and [with the Rally Raid suspension and wheels] handles very much like a big trail-bike on the trails.

Ultimately the DR650 is going to feel a touch more nimble in certain off-road scenarios perhaps (as the G310GS did for me this summer), but as I always say, it very much comes down to the rider - plus how confident the machine you're on makes you feel. I still consider the Rally-Raid CB500X the ADV benchmark in that regard, in that it is very easy to ride off-road (for a 200Kg machine) and the fuelling/gearing/traction and suspension flatters any mistakes you do make. Only if you really intended to hammer along off-road would something more dirt-bike-y [ie. longer travel suspension and lighter weight] be potentially of benefit perhaps - but then you'd have to suffer the inevitable compromises there, once you were back on the highway.

As I suggested in my summary and the end of the previous page, ultimately whatever bike you choose is only part of the equation to how much fun you're going to have - in that it's just a tool as part of your overall adventure/travel arsenal... In that regard, while having access to specific and dedicated tools is all very well in particular circumstances, ideally you'll choose something that is multi-purpose and does a lot of things well - and simply adjust your style and expectations as required to get the most out of any particular scenario.

Hope that is something to consider?

Jenny x

ps. I have a soft spot for the big DR (and would ride one in a heartbeat if offered a loan/hire) - but not enough of one to actually own one myself.
  6. worthydog

worthydog Shosholoza Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great input.
  7. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aah! That is so true!

By the way, I bought my first Honda XRV 650 27 years ago and after 300'000 km this Twin is still an excellent compromise for me. It seems to me that your CB500X is comparable to the old Africa Twin.

I enjoyed reading your report about the BMW. Thank you very much !

8. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Just a quick update: here is the podcast from the BMW MOA Rally in Des Moines earlier this year - where I chat to Wes about Wales, the USA, the G310GS, and adventure riding in general...

http://horizon.bmwmoa.org/episode-39-jenny-morgan/

Jenny x

ps. you may want to skip to 12m20s in for the actual interview, as the podcast is full of ads and MOA promo stuff at the beginning...
    crashkorolyk and Ginger Beard like this.
  9. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @oneworldcycles

Oddometer:
    Just got all caught up. Really enjoy your ride reports! The pics and the honest commentary go well together. If you ever decide to venture into south FL, you'll have a garage to use and a place to crash courtesy of my wife and I. :freaky
  10. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Absolutely fantastic! I was actually supposed to be in Nakusp when you were. Our paths might have crossed. I loved this thread. :clap
  11. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    UKJeeper likes this.
  12. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Thank you! - all being well I hope to be there again this summer (note. Horizons is earlier this year - July 11-14th 2019), it's a fabulous part of the world!

Jx
  13. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Are you thinking of the MOA rally again or are you fed up from last year?
  14. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Ski' - if you see one more post above, then I'm hoping to not be a BMW owner by then - although of course that's not to say you have to have a BMW to attend these days I know...

I'd be happy to attend in an exhibitor/presenter capacity again, but it's unlikely to be part of another big trip like 2018 I'm afraid.

Jx
  15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I hear ya, I'm looking at going this year again to do my Newfoundland presentation to drum up a little business for our moto B&B.:D

I'll plan to shoot down on my '82 R65.
  16. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    FOR SALE: $5000 - California

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you've been following this ride report during last year, then you'll probably know all about this bike already - but as a quick summary:

I purchased this bike brand new in April 2018 in Virginia, and immediately fitted the first Rally-Raid Products 'Adventure' kit in the US to it - then spent the next six months travelling all over the US and up into Canada a couple of times too! The current mileage is a little over 17,500 and has had all the dealer servicing (plus more frequent oil changes) required to date.

The bike is registered until May 2019 with a clear Title in California, and it is currently situated in San Jose.

The basic bike was delivered to me with the following dealer supplied upgrades - factory colour-matched black fairing side panels and tail unit, together with replacing the OEM rear rack with the G310R model grab handles and tail trim.

Overview: As you can see, the most obvious upgrades are the Rally-Raid heavy-duty spoked wheel kit and uprated/adjustable front and rear suspension (LEVEL 1= standard travel length), together with their cradle style engine guard and the R&G Tail-tidy - which dramatically changes the overall look/stance of the bike, and makes it a much more focussed dual-sport off-highway performer, while not giving anything away on-road either.

In more detail: the following [Rally-Raid Products and other] upgraded parts & accessories have been fitted:

• RR LEVEL 1 rear shock with hydraulic preload adjuster

• RR LEVEL 1 fork kit

• RR Tubed spoked wheel kit (black rims)

• RR engine guard (pre-production, but basically the same as the one you can buy now)

• RR/Scorpion exhaust system (the non-cat version, although a cat is available from RR if required)

• R&G tail-tidy

• R&G side-stand shoe

• R&G radiator guard

• RR billet Fat-bar risers/top clamp & packer set

• RR dual USB power socket (flush mounted in dash)

• Renthal RC High bend bars

• Barkbuster Storm hand-guards

• Continental TKC80 tyres (100/90x19 front, 140/80x17 rear)

• 15T front sprocket, and ProTaper gold O-ring chain.

In addition, I will also include the Rally-Raid tinted tall windshield (lightly used for 746 miles... in one hit!) and their combo wheel spanner, together with all the brand new OEM take-off parts including:

OEM front and rear cast wheels (no tyres)

OEM exhaust system

OEM rear shock

OEM 7/8ths handlebars and risers/clamp

OEM skid-plate

OEM rear fender/tail assembly and rear lamp

I'm looking for a quick sale, and while the mileage of 17,500 might be considered a little high for a less than one year old machine, I trust you will agree that will all the upgrades fitted and including the original brand new take-off parts too, that $5000 is more than fair as an asking price - a fully kitted Rally-Raid bike for less than the price a stock new one!

If you would like more information, please do not hesitate to PM me, or ask any questions below - although I think pretty much anything you might want to know about this particular bike, the G310GS in general and the Rally-Raid upgrades has already been comprehensively answered earlier in this thread.

Basically this bike totally rocks, but it is now surplus to my requirements, and I have a new project in mind for 2019.

Jenny x

ps. I am not looking to trade this at all, straight cash sale only please. note. If you are looking to purchase from a distance, I'd be happy to collect you from a local airport, or liaise with any shipping company you choose.
  17. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    I'm back in the US now, so open to offers over $5000 for ADV inmates for bike as is. $5500 including all the new take-off parts and other accessories.

Jx
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Have you booked a test ride on one of those Lightnings yet?
  19. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Ha - give me a chance, I only arrived last night!

Just picked up my GS from the dealer - they have done an excellent job!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    photo. stronger side-stand bracket on new frame/s.

Jx
  20. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Hope all goes well getting settled in your new (long term) home.