Beemer Beemer chicken deener!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JMo (& piglet), Apr 16, 2018.

1. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Chinditone - you're very kind, and not incorrect ;o) - I really enjoy putting together these ride reports here on ADVrider, and trust that they do both entertain and inform in equal measure - so it's lovely to hear you think so too!

I have to say, I do have the itch to get going somewhere 'big' again this year - last year I had planned another long-distance excursion and some further exploring in the Pacific north west - Oregon, Washington, Idaho - and into Montana again (which is an awesome 'adventure' destination btw.), but unfortunately I broke my foot at the beginning on June which put me out of action for most of the summer...

But fear not, as KTMmitch hints below, we've still be working on some ideas for both the CB500X and the new Tenere, and hopefully we'll can put something really exciting together as this year unfolds!

More soon as I like to say!

Jenny x
    crashkorolyk and chinditone like this.
  2. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hee hee - likewise!

In fact Juan [Visualizerent] and I were recently debating the merits of some kind of TAT adventure on the CT125s when they come out here... there is no merit of course, but I'm sure it would be a giggle!

Jenny x
    TM1(SS), crashkorolyk, victay and 3 others like this.
  3. Red Sand

Red Sand Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I just picked up my G310GS last Thursday - I have plans for a few of the typical upgrades and add-ons

Still find it incredible you got 6K miles out of the rear TKC80 - doubt that would happen on an R1200GS (ha)

I enjoyed this thread so much - spent a good chunk of time this morning reading 90% of it - very useful, incredibly entertaining - thank you Jenny!!!

JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  4. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Thank you Red Sand - enjoy your new bike, they are great fun!

for info. Yes, it appears it's the bigger bikes which chew up the TKC80 quite quickly (and where most of the 'negative' feedback comes from regarding those tyres - but seriously, if you've just spent $20K on a bloody motorbike, why are you worried about the cost of tyres?!) - but on smaller/lighter bikes, and particularly if you're not ragging the throttle the whole time, they last plenty long enough when you consider how blocky that tyre is, and the benefit the soft[er] compound gives with regard to grip on the road.

Prior to this trip, I've even squeezed as much as 9000 miles out of a rear TKC80 [on my CB500X] - yes it was shot by 7000 miles (for any serious off-road use) - but since I had a good 1500 miles more paved roads to ride before I got back to Colorado where the trails would start again, I factored I've just eek it out and see how it lasted - and to be honest it wasn't any more worn at 9000 as it had been at 7000 really, so that saved me knocking off the edges of a fresh tyre before the fun began again!

[​IMG]

If you're at a loose end, I also wrote a detailed ride report of that 2018 trip on the CB500X here: Northern eXposure, and there are some lovely photos from Canada and Montana particularly.

Thank you again for your kind words!

Jenny x
  5. albanomore

albanomore n00b

Oddometer:

Hi Jenny I’m reading your adventure in 2021 and really enjoying it! I had my eye on a used 2018 BMW G310GS so was reading articles about it and came across yours. I bought the bike and ran into some tire issues on week 1 of owning it. This is when I had reached the part of your story regarding the Cush Drive, and asked the mechanic to check those also. Turns out my bike had the same issue. Easily replaced though, tire issue sorted and enjoying the bike. So thanks pointing the issue out and again enjoyed your writing and travels! Best wishes
  6. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What stories do you have for 2021?
  7. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Skibum' - less moto and more mountain bike this summer I'm afraid... although I did ride up to the Giant Loop Hot Springs at the beginning of June and explored a few more trails up there - plus got to ride a CRF300L (albeit briefly) and I have to say I'm impressed! Not as much outright power as the G310GS, but very easy and forgiving - with enough legs for 70mph cruising on the highway if needs be - I think one of these might be my next* bike...

*and by that I mean supplementary, I'm not selling the CB any time soon of course.

[​IMG]
    photo. Neil on Angela's 300L

I'm actually heading down to Overland Expo in Flagstaff AZ next week (24-26th Sept 2021) on the CB, and have a couple of presentations there - including my video review of the trip Juan Browne and I took last summer - there is a ride report here on ADVrider: The Western Tattenback - which as the name implies, incorporated much of the original and current TAT [Trans-America Trail] route, together with some BDR and my own knowledge of the areas we passed through. If you didn't follow along last year (and Juan's accompanying YouTube series) it's worth checking out - it's very much a culmination of everything I like to do on this side of the country.

Jenny x
    1litre and RockyDS like this.
  8. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool! Thanks for the update. I’d love to be getting in some Mtn biking but I’ve been away for work for 4 months. Good to remind me to get a bicycle out!