Been Given a 2004 R1200GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rc mad, Sep 18, 2019.

1. rc mad

rc mad Physycotic gecko

Oddometer:
    As the title says i am now the owner of a really clean 2004 47k mile 1200GS with the servo brakes. IMG_20190914_202450.jpg
    My 1998 TDM850 decided it didn't like its third gear any more so i had to part that bike out :( as new gearbox parts are rarer than unicorn crap covered hens teeth:lol3.

My father-in-law then seized the oppertunity and gave me his GS:dunno The old chap is 74 and has trouible with the weight of the bike, he's now looking for another BMW that's lower. He already has a R90RT.

Obviously i haven't done any research into these bikes at all, already i have found out that it leaks fuel if it sits on the sidestand for more than a nanosecond, is this a thing? Is there anything else i need to check of look out for?

I have to say i am impressed witht the bike so far, it's not something i would have chosen myself as i always had the perception that they were massive bikes, they aren't really, it certainly rides well.
    NoiZboy likes this.
  2. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    Had same color 47,000 miles.. plastic fittings that come out of thank by the fuel pump assembly are a weak point ...Beemer Boneyard sells metal replacements.. along with maintainance products
    Servo brakes need to be bleed once a year.. lots of YouTube’s...and if failed .. module master in Moscow Idaho will repair them..
    Ps they also sell a funnel to help with brake flush if you do it yourself... and although I bought mine also in May 2004 technically they are 2005 models

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdisconr12.html

0F944749-FEE9-47F3-AA51-672458A774EF.jpeg
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great looking first 500 bike.

The bike has a few recalls that need to be checked:

Fuel pump flange recall. This is the probable cause of your leak, and the dealer will fix it for free.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Good idea to install these as well:
    https://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdisconr12a.html
    [​IMG]
    Yours has two. Here is the link to replace them: https://advrider.com/f/threads/quick-disconnect-replacement-pictorial-and-boss-clamps.852502/

Next is the Final Drive Flange:
    They will take the crack prone alloy one off and replace it with a steel one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, replace ALL the fluids, especially the brake fluid. The Servo-ABS is sensitive to brake fluid age.

Many of the services you can easily do yourself if you are even minimally mechanically inclined.

Here are some tutorials to help, as well as torque values and tool lists: http://www.jvbproductions.com/Tech_Pictorials.html
    Djunta and ultane like this.
  4. AZgman

AZgman Addicted to curves

Oddometer:
    Once you get the basic maintenance done, you have one nice 15 year old bike there! I think you will find that it will be an enjoyable ride for years to come. If not, then you should not have trouble finding a new home for it.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  5. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    While you are working on the fuel pump area to fix problems, better check to see if the fuel pump controller atop the flange has been changed out to the upgraded version. The original units liked to leak water and eventually fail. A work-around jury-rig wire could get you going but I was stranded in rural Louisiana once due to this problem. That may have eventually been a free recall fix.

Also check on the notorious ignition key antenna ring recall to make sure that was done. I think all of the 1200's from that era were recalled due to faulty antenna rings that would fail and strand the rider. I knew someone who bought a new 1200GSA and headed for Alaska only to be stranded up there with this problem. I had to get a new ring for my '07 1200S.

There was also a problem with the electronic strip fuel level sender and I don't know if BMW ever solved that.

I won't get into the final drive failure issue since I'm not sure what to tell you to do to forestall suffering from that malady.

Check out the revised final drive oil fill amount issue.

On all of these issues, just do some research on sites like this and you will harvest much helpful advice.

6. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The early 04-05 models had a different antenna ring that was less prone to failure.
    I had 70k miles on my 05 without an antenna ring issues before I sold it.

Some of early ones also had improper shimming of the FD from the factory that lead to seal failure,BMW replaced my entire FD at 32k miles under warranty.
    Yes,make sure fuel pump flange recalls done,my 05 had both flanges replaced under the recall.

JR356
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  7. rc mad

rc mad Physycotic gecko

Oddometer:
    Thansk for allt he advice guys, funny you lot should mention the weakness around the fuel system. One the way back from work last night i noticed fuel leaking onto the floor just behind the front wheel. Got home and took the bike apart to find this. JVB was almost right but bikerboy hit the nail on the head :lol3
    IMG_20190918_165033.jpg

At first i thought it was a dodgy connection so i wiggled it a bit, this was the result :yikes

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ToFxk3LKdT7FEEsx8

Im in the uk so havent yet been able to locate a UK supplier of steel fittings so i'll be buying another plastic fitting (or 2) from BMW today (if they carry stock) to get me back on the road and will then purchase the steel set from beemer boneyard.

I think most of the recalls have been done on the bike. I know the rear flange was changed in the last couple of years and i can see that the recall for the fuel flange has been done on both sides of the bike. How would i check the fuel pump controller? I know the original owner was fastidious in regards to maintenance and recalls so hopefully the pump controller has been sorted too.

My father in law did have an issue with the bike when returning from scotland which left him unable to start the bike, he thought it was the antenna ring but it turned out to be wiring around the headstock, which wass fixed by BMW. Theres no mention of a replacement ring being fitted on the paperwork so i assume i still have the original one. I will pick up a spare and keep it on the bike, that way i'll never need it :lol3

My father in law couldn't stress enough to me the fact that i should not change the brake fluid at all, saying that i needed computers and all sorts to do it. Interesting to hear the need to replace the fluid every year to keep the servo system happy, i did find a walkthrough that mentioned turkey basters, Will the GS-911 make this job easier / cleaner?

I don't beleive the FD oil has been changed recently so i'll need to do that, father in law did mention it was sealed for life so I expect its never been changed! Apart from that it seems like the bike is pretty well sorted then as there doesn't seem to be any known issues that haven't been adressed with the exception of the FPC which i'll check this evening. i think it'll be hanging around for a long time as its such an easy and comfortable bike to ride.

At least one thing, Valve clearance checks will be easier on this than on the ducati:photog
    Hogges likes this.
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Google CPC Metal quick disconnect fitting UK. They have them there as well.

As for the antenna ring, don't buy one. The 2005 has the ring ending in part number 211, which means that they were not an issue.

The brake fluid change is easily done at home, not special parts or tools needed. Take a 1/4" clear tube and stick it in a pint of fresh brake fluid while doing the caliper circuits. This will walk you through it: https://advrider.com/f/resources/abs-3-service-v2-0.7/
    rc mad and Huzband like this.
  9. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    Part of the procedure to bleed the servo brakes is push fluid thru the unit by engaging the servo motor .. so more than the usual amount of brake fluid goes into and out of the unit... you can carefully pour in fluid as it is engaged(I’ve done it) BUT much easier with a screw in funnel resovoir that Beemerboneyard sells.. they do ship overseas so you can get the metal disconnects and the funnel I used the video below to bleed mine

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/abs3funnel.html

9ED21DC1-9189-4766-8CA9-4D5F0FF223EF.jpeg
    rc mad likes this.
  10. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the UK, Motobins or MotorWorks will likely have the chrome-plated QD fittings.
    rc mad and JimVonBaden like this.
  11. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nippy Normans has been a frequently mentioned UK source for parts,accessories.
    They might carry the metal QD's

JR356
    rc mad likes this.
  12. jollyGreenGiant

jollyGreenGiant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My first ride on a new to me 2005 GS resulted in that fitting failing and spraying me down with fuel, no idea how the whole thing didn't go up in flames, none. Enjoy, I'm enjoying mine more each day!!!
    rc mad likes this.
  13. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    These are really great bikes. I had one from new and it was very good to me. Get your fluids changed and bled, swap out the plastic quick disconnects, and you will have a bike you can ride and enjoy for many years.
    rc mad, JimVonBaden and JR356 like this.
  14. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    Nice bike. I had one for many years and loved it.
    Anytime BMW says lifetiimeneverneedschangingsealledforlife oil.....change it.
    I do my gearbox and bevel-drive rear hub every second engine oil change.