BeenRiding: Around the world on a KTM 690 - Colombia Currently

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Beenriding, Aug 20, 2018.

1. 08StangGT_CS

08StangGT_CS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All caught up. In!
  2. Beenriding

Beenriding Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry Guys. Been on the road since Antigua and havent really stopped to thrown an update down. Just going through pictures now but the internet is so bad Ill have to wait a little later to update. Possibly tonight.
    roadcapDen likes this.
  3. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    Alright Here is my actual attempt to get Caught up. Panama's internet has proven to be quite dodgy and I've been doing some camping with really proves to be difficult to keep devices charged. However, please just accept my apology and check out the content below.

So as I stated in the last post, I ended up hanging around Antigua Guatemala for a good month and a half and helping out at Mototours Guatemala.

My buddy Jon was rolling out in a few days and my dad was flying in around the same time. Jon sold his DR to Jose so he could catch a flight back to Norway and get to work meaning my Dad has a new kitted out DR650 to roll around with me for a few days

Some of us stopped looking at the path of Lava Flown that took so many lives back in the summer of 2018. While riding along a tour of a couple Australian guys that later paid the prices for being dickheads after we repetitively told them to slow down. (But they were pros and ride enduro back home.....Both went down later in the tour colliding with each other and shredding some of Jose's rental bikes up. Broken collarbones and a lot less dignity was the price paid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pops flew in town, we grabbed a few beers the first night and then hiked the Pacaya Volcano in the morning

Check the fountain closesly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VIDEO FROM HIKE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ANOTHER VIDEO

[​IMG]

IT WAS A COLD MOTHER AND I DECIDED TO JUST WEAR A COLOMBIA SHIRT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got back to Antigua and I introduced pops to some Pepian De Pollo.

[​IMG]

The next day we hopped on the bikes and rolled over to Lake Atitlan which I had been to a few times but he had only seen it in pictures. It was pretty breathtaking experience coming over the mountains the first time and see the huge high altitude lake

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]\

[​IMG]

Pops picked up some new swag

[​IMG]

VIDEO OF BOAT RIDE
    [​IMG]

ANOTHER VIDEO
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its almost like Pops knew this meal was gonna keep him in bed throwing up for the next day. Luckly it only lasted 24hour and he was good to ride over to the Beach Next

[​IMG]

Video from Panachajel when i ran to pick up pops some meds

[​IMG]

Open Mic Night at Iguana Perdida Hostel. The best one on the Lake ive decided

[​IMG]

Someone needs to work on his spanish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pops and I before we rolled out to the Beach at El Paredon.

[​IMG]

LEAVING LAKE ATITLAN (VIDEO)

[​IMG]

I picked up a flat about 100M from a Pinchazo (Tire Shop)

[​IMG]

The Guy changed it and asked me for 5Q...About 75 cents. I tossed him a 20Q note and said thanks

[​IMG]

We spent the next 4 hours hauling ass through Banana Plantations and Sugar Cane Fields trying to find the correct location of a boat to take us to El Paredon. Pops might have got a little annoyed since I didn't do much pre flight planning and had never traveled to the beach that way before. Finally before dark i found the boat in the video below and hooked up with a ride

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video #2
    [​IMG]

Video #3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video of Pops hopping off the Boat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video of the Beach at El Paredon

[​IMG]

Dinner at the Driftwood Surfer (VIDEO)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video Of Pool Area
    [​IMG]

Pops Hitting some Surfing Lessons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attempting the Guatemalan Head Carry Technique

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoyed a nice last steak dinner before i go back to Ramen Noodles

[​IMG]

Ran across this party in the street on the way back to moto tours (VIDEO)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm about to get kicked out my wifi haven't at the moment so ill have to stop there. Hopefully more to come tomorrow
  4. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    My dad rolled out the next morning and I grabbed lunch with my buddy Marlo and prepped the bike for the haul to El Salvador In the Morning.

[​IMG]

Grabbed some final beers with my Buddy Jose (Owner of Moto Tours)

[​IMG]

The next morning I got up, loaded the bike, shaved the stash and found a nice helmet which made for an appropriate picture opportunity in the streets of Antigua as I said my goodbyes

[​IMG]

Woke Up and Headed to San Salvador..Unfortuanatly I didnt grab to many pictures along the way. I spent a few nights in Zona Rosa neighborhood of San Salvador and it felt like any other rich area of Latin America. A bunch of Audis, Porsches, and nice apartment buildings.

[​IMG]

A couple fake KTMS too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very Interesting strictly CAT clothing store

[​IMG]

Volcanoes Everywhere
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stayed a Couple Days and then rolled to Honduras

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Camped for a night before I hit the Nicaraguan Border the next day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a bunch of videos from the Nicaraguan border but not any pictures. Was definitely the longest border crossing so far but definitely wasnt as bad ass everyone makes it sound.

From the Border of Nicaragua i drove Straight to Leon

Leon, Nicaragua was a little depressing. Being a large city close to Managua during the Political unrest in Summer of 2018 you can still see signs of turmoil. Many buildings were in ruins from fires, murals painted on the street of soldiers killing civilians to remind people what happens to rebels. The town used to survive on tourism and with no more tourist, you can see not many have jobs or money and just kinda wander the streets aimlessly looking for food and work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pay attention to the Mural in the Background of this Soccer/Basketball Court
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Possibly the worst street burger I had of the trip

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stuck around for a few days so i could do some Volcano Boarding

Volcano Boarding Truck
    [​IMG]

VIDEO OF THE VOLCANO BOARDING DAY

[​IMG]
    roadcapDen likes this.
  5. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    After a Couple Days in Leon, I decided to skip the town of Granada and head straight to the Island of Ometepe. It is a huge Island in the middle of Lake Nicaragua that has Two Volcanoes (One Active) surrounded by man-eating bull sharks. Just kidding but Lake Nicaragua is one of the only freshwater lakes in the world that is home to bull sharks. While most of them were wiped out due to overfishing and the Nicaraguans allowing the Chinese to open a Sharkfin processing facility on the banks of the lake many years ago. However, I still didn't feel like I wanted to go for many swims in this swimming pool

Ferry Over to Ometepe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stayed a few days on the Island, Met back up with my buddy Nick from Antigua and cruised a figure 8 around both Volcanoes in 1 day. Headed out the next day to San Juan Del Sur

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VIDEO FROM THE TRIP TO OMETEPE

[​IMG]
  6. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    After leaving Ometepe, it was just a short Drive over to the beach town of San Juan Del Sur where nick and I ate at the local market, hopped over a bar to catch some wifi and decide which place to stay for the night. While grabbing a few beers we talked to many people that recommended Hola Ola hostel. I think it might have been the best Hostel in all of San Juan Del Sur but who knows maybe that just my Opinion. It was run by a guy named Horacio who was my age and went to the University of Texas, Came back home and opened the Hostel. The hostel was doing well but tourism has fallen drastically since the problems last summer. However, he seems optimistic that things will pick back up again.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Pops-in-...el-Toro/i-Rb2t2bC/0/6a730090/L/IMG_6243-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Pops-in-...el-Toro/i-p8wQxvv/0/4312e472/L/IMG_6244-L.jpg

VIDEO FROM BEACH PARTY AT HOLA OLA
    [​IMG]

Stayed a Few Nights and Caught the Infamous Party Of Sunday Funday...Only snagged one Picture from the Night But it will work

[​IMG]

Worked off the hangover at a place called HUSH Lodge...Owned by a Canadian guy that opened it up just in front of the crisis too. Looks like he put a decent amount of Money into it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VIDEO FROM HUSH LODGE

[​IMG]
  7. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    I stayed the Night at my new friend Mario's house, prepped my stuff for the trek to San Jose, Costa Rica the next day to pick up my mom. I was supposed to head over into Costa Rica a few days before so I could surely be there when she arrived since she is a little afraid of traveling by herself but I was having a little too much fun in Nicaragua. I woke up early that morning and headed to the Nicaraguan/Costa Rica Border. On the way to the Border my bike suddenly started acting up tremendously and I diagnosed it as a fuel pump failure. It was still running but wouldn't get above 3700 RPM and I could barely get it to 55 on level ground. Really not the ideal situation for crossing out of Nicaragua, exiting the country is just about as difficult as entering and that is not the place you want to be taking your bike apart laying all your bags out and what not. Finally, I made it through the Nicaraguan border with minimal cash left due to leaving my debit card in an El Salvadorian ATM by the border in a fury. I knew that I needed all of it to get insurance in Costa Rica and I just needed to get to San Jose and Meet my Mom with my new card and id be out of this money crisis...

This is where I fell victim to a fixer...My first fixer fuckup was at the Costa Rican border who would have thunk it.

As I pull up to the Costa Rican border I'm so relieved to make it out of Nicaragua you can see it all over my face and obviously this fixer could see it too. He ran over to me and I gave him the fuck off look, he didn't accept my evil glare as a sign of fucking off though. Asking over and over again I explained I had no money to pay him and he repeated that he was a nice guy and would do it for free. I parked my bike, walked into Costa Rica Immigration office myself and stamped into the Country. As I walked out I still have this guy telling me what to "for free" so instead of figuring it out completely on my own i kinda let this guy directed me to the next step...Which is where I fucked up. He obviously has a relationship with the guy behind the desk at the Aduana who informed me that since my title said "Certified Copy" it was not the Original title and I would not be able to enter Costa Rica. I kept my cool and kept insisting that he call his manager because it is, in fact, an original title. We continued arguing and my fixer friend told me to go chill out and he would help me....After about 45 mins he informs me that the manager will not allow my title to be passed as original
    but if I can pay a 35 dollar bribe then he can get my bike in. I immediately accept knowing I can't afford to be rejected entry into Costa Rica, especially since I'm already supposed to be picking up my mom in about 4 hours. Still stressed from this process and my failing fuel pump I tell the fixer good day and thanks for the casual fucking session and carry on to the insurance office knowing I cannot afford the insurance and they do not accept credit cards.

Digging through my bags looking for loose dollars and coins I realize im never going to come up with 27 dollars necessary for mandatory insurance and will not be able to leave the border until I get it. I start looking through things i can sell for pennies on the dollar. Go pros, my watch, broke drone lol anything. Whatever I have todo needs to be determined ASAP since my bike can barely get to 55 mph and I have a solind 5 hours to costa rica. Out of nowhere a 80+ year old man named Frank from the US taps on my shoulder and ask "young man, you seem to be in some sort of trouble and im wondering if there is anyway I could help. Is there maybe anyway some money could help you?". I accepted a 20 from him and told him how much I appreciated it. With my spare coins and dollar bills I was able to get the insurance and carry on to San Jose. Thanks Frank. Ill be paying it forward.

Only picture I took on the way to San Jose
    [​IMG]

With a clean running bike i could have made it in 3 hours from the border but It damn near took me about 7 hours. I didnt have enough power to over take any trucks and bairly make it up huge hills. Once about 30 Miles from San Jose i truthfully didnt think the bike would make it. I just prayed i could get to hostel in san jose so i could swap new pump or find a different problem. I limped into Hostel Fina Escalante and told my mom to meet me there, the next day, swapped the pump and the bike was back in action

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I got it fixed up, Mom and I left and went on a good 8 day trek through Costa Rica. Where we visited La Fortuna, Jaco, Manuel Antonio, Quepos, Dominical, Uvita and back to San Jose. It was a good time

VIDEO OF OUR TIME IN COSTA RICA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mom couldn't catch why i had to stop and take a picture of this restaurant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    Spent the next day exploring San Jose

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Coolest Police Cars

[​IMG]

Glad to see they are following OSHA Laws

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brother got clipped and went down. He is OK but ran after the car that didnt stop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feedup
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drone shot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next day I left and Rode to Puerto Viejo in the Limon Province. The landscape entering the carribean side of Coasta Rica was amazing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally ended up in Puerto Viejo looking at the carribean coast for the first time on my trip.

[​IMG]

Made a new friend

[​IMG]

Stayed at the rocking J ranch for a few nights and got destroyed by mesquitos in a hammock
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took a walk around the beach

[​IMG]

Some shitty luck
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    NSFW, dezertpilot and roadcapDen like this.
  9. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    After a few days in Puerto Viejo I looked like I had a bad case of Leprosy and decided i needed to seek some shelter in an air-conditioned dorm and needed to head to Panama. Woke up, crossed the border and headed to the islands of Bocas Del Toro.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Definitely almost broke my neck on this slide

[​IMG]
  10. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    VIDEO FROM A LITTLE BIT OF MY TIME IN BOCAS DEL TORO

[​IMG]
  11. Phlyn' Phil

Phlyn' Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn bro, looks like your having all the fun while we all just sit here freezing and waiting for spring...
    Enjoy every minute, and for as long as you can. and thanks for taking us along!!
    dezertpilot and Beenriding like this.
  12. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for taking us along. I need to visit Costa Rica and Panama!
    Beenriding likes this.
  13. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    No problem just doing what I can. Ill have another Update soon. I came from Bocas Del Toro to a town called Boquete. Spending a few days here and gonna start making a move down to Panama city so i can ship the bike to Colombia
  14. 08StangGT_CS

08StangGT_CS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great catching up. Thinking of getting a 690 R myself.
  15. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    Some more pictures from Bocas Del Toro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VIDEO FROM MAMALLENA HOSTEL
    [​IMG]

Low Tide Soccer Match
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VIDEO OF DAYTIME AT MAMALLENA HOSTEL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]\

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mysterious Rubber Showed up in my Friends Bed....We were the only two staying in the room and neither of us got it on. Very Alarming

[​IMG]

Decided to Get of the Island after a week of Debauchery and head over to a mountian town called Boquete a few hours away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone Is definitely Detting Fired over this...Its a Crane if you cant tell

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Actually saw 3 vehicles flipped over in the 100 miles to boquete...im pretty sure you cant just blame the rain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Camped at this place called Pension Topas that I found on I overlander.

[​IMG]

Met Some Frenchies in the Van They shipped to Canada and are headed to Argentina too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    roadcapDen likes this.
  16. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    Not even gonna apologize this time...Yall know what you go into reading this report. However, I'm at least attempting to catch up so don't get too angry with me. I can see here that the last thing I posted was me staying at Pension Topas in Boquete. Pitched a tent at this place for $5 bucks a night. It was about the equivalent of rough camping with freezing cold mountain stream showers and a kitchen that was up to par with an easy bake oven but it was pretty close to the middle of town and I met another traveler there named Max (German) who bought an Italika in Mexico and was a true adventure biker. Nothing but a backpack, hammock, blue jean jacket, and a trap, he was making his rounds around Central America before leaving to Panama and selling the bike. We kicked it for few days in Boquete checking out the hot springs, and some pretty solid hiking trails. After 4-5 days in Boquete, I hammered down to Panama City trying to catch the Wildcard and get myself out of these expensive Central American countries. Made it down to Panama from Boquete in some record-breaking time of around 5 hours (Which is nice because there are police everywhere). I was pulled over 3 times and received a warning each time. I think it had something to do with my amazing Spanish or should I say lack thereof hahaha. The cops all just decided it was too hard to fuck with my dumbass than just let me go. Made it to Panama City and met up with my Kiwi buddy Nick who ever meet in Guatemala and again in Nicaragua, and Costa Rica. We kicked it for a few days until he left for Mardi Gras in NOLA and then bought a Goldwing to tour around America.

Max and I Hitting up the Hot Springs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of the hot pools were actually in the river which was pretty weird. Cold Mountian water mixing with some boiling hot spring water

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Max and his trusty Italika
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spent a few days kicking it in Casco Viejo. Really don't have very good pictures from Panama City because my cell phone camera broke and its really hard to just stroll around with a DSLR. Don't worry now that I'm writing this in Medellin i have a new phone camera so more pictures will be coming.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They were setting up for Carnival so the main street in town was shutdown
    [​IMG]
    roadcapDen likes this.
  17. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @oneworldcycles

Oddometer:
    It was that or X-Taco. I think Burrito Hub is a better fit.
  18. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wonder how many miles to the gallon you can get on this hog?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On top of the Trump Hotel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    https://photos.smugmug.com/Boquete-to-Colombia-/Rufino/i-2ng8Sp8/0/edd37573/L/IMG_0339-L.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next day took a trip out to the Miraflores Locks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This picture pretty much sums up Panama....Its America and please get me the fuck out of here
    [​IMG]

That Monday, I woke up excited to get my DIJ inspection allowing me to check out of Panama with my bike and ship to Colombia on the Wildcard...Only one problem, due to Carnaval no one would inspect my bike until Thursday and the boat left on Wednesday. Ended up missing that boat, talked to a couple different shipping companies and RORO'd my bike to Panama on a Freighter out of Colon and hopped on a boat called Gitano Del Mar out of Puerto Lindo.
    roadcapDen likes this.
  19. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    Before I booked the freighter and catamaran to Panama I drove over to Puerto Lindo/Portobello a few times to see if I could find a lone sailboat that could charter to Colombia. It never came too which is probably a good deal because i had alot of fun on the Gitano Del Mar.

Bike parked at Puerto Lindo looking to hitch a ride.
    [​IMG]

Cannons from old fort in Portobello
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also took a couple trips to Pier 3 in Colon trying to negotiate a ride the colombia. I had a couple of bites but they up being pretty sketchy deals for not much cheaper that the organized shipping companies. In my mind i was thinking the adventure would be fun but it would have been a pain in the ass.

A couple cops checking out my ride at the docks in Colon.

[​IMG]

Safe parking in Portobello before i took my bike to the port in the morning.
    [​IMG]

Inspection time...Luckily the drug dog didnt pick up all that stuff i was trying to smuggle into colombia.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    roadcapDen likes this.
  20. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    I finished the shipping process and needed to find a way to Puerto Lindo. I hailed a cab from the shipyard and asked how much? He quickly told me $60 and i told him to kick rocks....I mean give me a break man. Took a different taxi to the Chicken Bus Terminal for $3.50 and caught a ride to Puerto Lindo for $1.75. It was also quite entertaining too, the shit that gets on those busses is like going to a comedy show anyways. One of my buddies told me he saw someone bring a hog tied up squirming and pissing everywhere and noone gave a shit. [​IMG]

Xhibit "Pimp My Ride"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seriously though, Think of these things as the craziest school bus you ever had with absolutely no rules. Hop on, hang on or stand up. There is no warden and everyone fends for themselves

[​IMG]
    roadcapDen likes this.