BeenRiding: Around the world on a KTM 690 - Panama Currently

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Beenriding, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Beenriding

Beenriding Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So maybe it's not really retirement but that's what I've been calling it, and no one can do anything about it. Instead of waiting for retirement to come towards the later years of life, I'm taking a break from the working world and going to do a little traveling. Crazy enough I formulated the idea many years ago before I had to worry about retirement. However, I didn't have the money to do it or at least do it the way I wanted. Therefore, I ended up in corporate America without getting the travel dreams out of my system.

Started a job at MEDCO Construction since March of 2015. I'm not sure if implied my intent to one day quit and ride my motorcycle around the world in the job interview or not but it became evident shortly after haha. After being very vocal about my travel goals with co-workers, it eventually got to the ears of the head honcho Mr. Denward Freeman, and I was brought into his office for interrogation……Ok so maybe it wasn’t that intense. I don’t remember the exact date, but I went into his office to get a change order signed, and he questions the validity of some workplace rumors. I confirmed that the rumors were in fact absolutely true but I was not going just to jump ship and I would finish the current project I was working on before I resigned. Then the craziest thing happen….He didn’t fire me! I told him there would be plenty of notice before I decided anything.

After turning in the earliest resignation notice in company history of almost a year and a half, the time for me to start my trip is almost here as I slated my last day of work would be on August 29, 2018. Obviously, this date has been adjusted in my head multiple time but always had it slated for fall of 2018. This is a good time window for the trip route. At the beginning of my trip dreaming/planning, I just intended to ride from Dallas Tx to Ushuaia, Argentina for the complete Latin American experience. Thanks to my good friend and boss Josh Grizzle, that plan was altered by a form of persistent harassment. Seriously, the guy has some kind of tony robbins shit going on and can make you think you need to buy or do anything. No shit, he could probably tell me I was getting a demotion and a pay deduction, and I would walk out of his office with a smile on my face thinking it was cat's pajamas. Anyways, he tricked me into turning this little trip down south into an around the world adventure. Only time will tell if I'll be thanking him for the inspiration or cursing him when it held up in a damn prison cell for some wack ass law like not pissing in the pond in Portugal.

The plan as of right now is to depart from Dallas on August 30th, head to Aspen, Colorado for my friend Abby’s wedding. Ill spend the next couple weeks in Colorado moving into Utah for the KTM Adventure Rally in Salt Lake City. After the KTM Rally I will be heading south the Mexico and plan to enter via Baja. There will be nothing in my way until the Stahlratte sailing from Panama to Colombia on December 3rd. I plan to spend the month of December in Colombia and then Race to Peru for the Dakar Race starting on January 6th. after that the only thing I have planned next is to get to the bottom on Argentina before it gets too cold so sometime in March/April. Ill be updating on this RR and my Website “Beenriding.com” as much as possible. I hope I can provide half as good of a ride report than the ones that inspired me. We will have this train rolling shortly.

A couple pictures it entice you bastards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of your pics aren't working. Also check with the Stahlratte, apparently they can't import bikes into Columbia anymore from what I've read in other recent ride reports...
  3. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    @docwyte. Ill need to check on the photos. I may revise this post as I just copied it from my Blog site and think that I may need to keep the introduction a little slimmed down for Advrider. However, you should definitely still follow along it should be a good ride. Also my first RR but ive read alot of them so i hope some of the skill of other has soaked in. The stahlratte is still sailing just to a different endpoint
  4. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    webpage isn't working either.... at least for me (I'm an idiot when it comes to puters, so it could easily be me)
  5. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    @ruckusracing I should have it fixed for now. Give me a couple days to get some more content and tweak the site. A little busy finishing up with work at the moment but we should be nearing the end.
    Oldschoolrocker and ruckusracing like this.
  6. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    Please forgive me...Procrastination/Lost Chargers and too much free time have resulted in me not keeping my Ride Report/Blog up to date. I ended to provide weekly updates on the status of my trip to Argentina and it has been a while since the original post. I'm worried that I will continue to forget relative information while trying to get caught up on an in-depth report summary. So as I currently sit in a hostel in Mazatlan I'm going to get you caught up before I head to Durango tomorrow. I left Dallas a month and a half ago, traveled to Colorado for a wedding, Scottsdale for my best friends birthday and then rode to Park City from Denver with my dad for the 2018 KTM Aventure Rider Rally. I left Park City/Salt Lake City and slowly made my way to Los Angeles where I met up with Buck and Patrick to ride Baja together (They are also riding to Argentina on 690's just taking a little different route ). After 12 days we finally made it out of La Paz via Cargo Ferry to Mazatlan and tomorrow I will leave them and head to inland for a few weeks with the intent of meeting back up in Mexico city for the F1 race at the end of October. I'm dumping a few photos and videos below and I promise I'll have my updates on the trip in better shape in the upcoming post.

Little Clip From the KTM Adventure Rider Rally In Park City.

Left Loreto thinking we only had a few hours until Gonzago Bay (Think again there was no more roads along highway one and it took us a while to find some new routes)

Gonzaga Bay to Loreto - Stayed a night in Santa Rosalia in-between

Made a new friend from Belgium in my Hostel (I may keep this hostel living up it seems to be very nice)

I got stuck in La Paz for a few day (I cant figure out why and It definitely didnt have anything to do with my new friend Cecile :jump)
    Caught a cargo ferry over to Mazatlan where I currently am spending a few days.
    Buster714, JeepDawg, squr3l and 2 others like this.
  7. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    chilejack likes this.
  8. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    Pictures from the past month

Aspen Colorado
    [​IMG]

Too Much Crap Packed Poorly - Rode with the bike on the back of a car on the way to aspen and this was the first complete pack up after
    [​IMG]

Resolted in a Ruined R20/Broken charger, Lost Go Pros and Memory Cards....Fail
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meandering through Colorado

[​IMG]

Pops and I stopped in Vail for Lunch on the way to Moab

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wild Fire on the way to Park City From Moab

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cool Panoramic I shot off the fire outside of Provo Utah. Cool Pictures not so cool for anyone affected by it.

[​IMG]

Go Pros were somewhere in a creek or side of the road in Basalt Colorado so the only action camera I had was my Iphone. Not too horrible..
    [​IMG]

2018 KTM Adventure Rider Rally

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Met Rob at the KTM Rally. He offered to store dads bike and either sell it/ship it home to Texas so dad didnt have to jack with it.
    Rob and I spent the next few hours mounting the lynx fairing i took off dads bike in denver and fixing somethings on my bike before I headed south. Thanks Rob

[​IMG]

Heading south out of SLC. Utah is BIGGG and Empty. The winds were pushing about 30mph head on and i was getting about 30mpg on a bike that normally pushed 50.
    [​IMG]

Southern Utah Outside of St George

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zion National Park

[​IMG]\

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went and did a little hiking. Decided to lock the stuff up with the pacsafe net. It definitely comes in handy.
    [​IMG]

Death Valley

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading South Out of Torrance California

Hoping on the bikes leaving from Patricks House

https://photos.smugmug.com/BeenRiding/i-CXf4zRP/0/53f6f359/L/IMG_7317-L.jpg

Buying Mexican Insurance in San Diego

[​IMG]

Had another incident with a new Kreiga R20......:(((( Im an idiot

[​IMG]

Crossed at Tecate and did some off road riding (may have rode till late a night too)...Ill cut it out...Rode some pretty techincal stuff and camped in a hurricane...It was a blast

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It never stopped raining and everything was soaked

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cleaning off Klim outfits the gotta little stink from flooded streets with sewr water.

[​IMG]

Our homie Jamie helping out with some exclusive KTM parts in San Felipe

[​IMG]

Ok we might have just been picking up some generic shit. haha

[​IMG]

Found some good reasons to not drive at night in Mexico

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My new friend from La Paz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    So I left the intense heat of sea level Mazatlan and headed into the Mountains to Durango. I took the old road from Mazatlan nicknamed the Devils Backbone (Espinoza de Diablo). The road was incredibe with what had to me over 300 sharp curves weaving through the mountains. With elevation changing thousands of feet throughout the day. The sun would be out on one side of the mountain and it would be pouring down rain on the other side. I had most the vents open on my jacket and started to get a little-wet inside which turned out to be horrible in the cold monsoon I encountered later in the day. The ride was ideal until my rear brake pads disintegrated on these crazy roads which slowed me down about halfway through the mountains. Getting slowed down had me concerned about making it to Durango before dark. I worked my way through the mountains and hammered it on any flat stretches of highway. You gotta love the 690, small bike with a shitload of power. Fully loaded and still bumping 90mph with no problem. Please don't tell my mother that most of this was in the middle of an insane rainstorm but I felt like making it to Durango that night and that's what I did.

Alot of Curves
    [​IMG]

Amazing Landscapes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should be heading to Zacatecas tomorrow.
    chilejack, Brick Top and OR_Rider like this.
  10. jeffvet

jeffvet n00b

Oddometer:
    the orthopedic docs in durango mexico may not be as good as your previous ortho experiences in texas.might want to slow that lil 690 down in the rain."just sayin".your loving father.
    JerseyJeeper, chilejack, td63 and 8 others like this.
  11. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    Spent two night in Durango, it was a little rainy the first morning and I didn't feel like putting all the wet stuff back on to head to Zacatecas especially no with no rear brake pads. I told a girl named Alejandra at the front desk of the Hostel Casa Bruno that I had to take it slow on the Espinoza Del Diablo due to the rear brake issue. She responded with "My uncle has a motorcycle shop and should be able to help you". I definitely didn't think I would find the proper brake pads for the 690 at a random motorcycle shop in Durango. However, her uncle Juan Carlos (Charlie) was able to hook it up. Thanks Charlie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Walked around Durango for a little while and ran into a bunch of nice cars rolling into the square by my hostel. It was part of the LaCarrera Panamerica (The Last Stage through the Devils Backbone and then heading back to Durango). The rally started in Oaxaca, headed to CDMX, Queretaro, Morelia, San Miguel De Allende, Zacatecas and ended in Durango. Ill put some pics of the cars below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The hostel had a few extra tickets to a famous opera singer that was touring Mexico and playing in big cities. They made it sould like a large group of people would be attending but it ended up being just me and my new friend Sun (I think that's how you spell it). The concert turned into a mad house with over 4x the amount of people attending that the tickets that the amount of tickets purchase. People were pissed and you could barely move. Sun and I bailed out a grabbed some Chinese food and she kept wanting me to take pictures of her holding the peace sign saying "Chinese Girl" hahahah.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rolled pretty fast to Zacatecas since it was cold at 8000 feet and starting to rain I didn't stop and take many pictures. Walked around Zacatecas and tried to grab some photos but camera died and hostel was a little far away and I knew batteries were in the bottom of a random pannier and didn't feel like searching through everything. Just chilled, grabbed a beer and met a girl named Miriam. I offered to Miriam a drink and we ended up eating dinner and doing some bar hopping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little pissed off because I was stupid and accidentally left my Klim gloves on the bike last night and someone decided they needed them for their 125 Italika. I decided to roll from the hostel and hit a Starbucks to get caught up on the report/wait for Miriam to get off work. I pulled up to starbuck with a clean 1290 sitting out front also. The owners are Felipe and Zhenia Casanova of Palenque, we quickly made friends and they insisted I swing by their hotel Casa Lakyum when I come through town. I guess ill see yall in a few weeks.

Felipe and Zhenia - I told them about ADVrider and how to follow. So I Hope you see this if not ill remind you in a few weeks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ill try and hit yall new little video soon. Gonna go meet up with Miriam and then see if I can beat her bus home to Guanajuato this afternoon.
    chilejack and Pinky like this.
  12. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    Met up with Miriam and we went to ride the Teleférico to La Bufa. She would catch a bus to Leon to go home for the weekend and I tried to make it before night but it didnt happen.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was getting dark and I decided to stop in Aguascalientes for the night. Checked in the hostal and made a couple new friends at a bar beside it. Hung out when them for the night and then woke up the next morning, packed my stuff and hit the road. When I was pulling out of town I saw a few bikers in a parking lot, hoped the curb and said what's up. They said let's go to Leon and I joined in thinking it was just a little Saturday ride. Turns out there was a big motorcycle rally called Motofiesta in Leon with thousands of bikers. I ended up getting inducted into the Independietes M.C. de Aguascalientes....so i got that going for me. Miriam got of work at 6pm and came to join in on the fun and it ended up being a pretty fun time.

Pako, Fanny and Pako Jr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little KTM love...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Beenriding

Oddometer:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    powderzone likes this.
  14. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    Whoops. It should say Durango to Aguascalientes. But you will get the point

15. r1d3rg652gs

r1d3rg652gs DesertSleder

Oddometer:
    Which Klim jacket is this? Ride Safe! Nice pics.
  16. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    It’s a Klim badlands pro

17. r1d3rg652gs

r1d3rg652gs DesertSleder

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
  18. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    De nada!

19. Beenriding

Oddometer:

Video from Saturday with the new homies

20. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    I left Leon and rode to Guanajuato. I made one mistake that I will try and not due again. Due to the activities from the night before I did not have anything charged and since I lost the rubber stoppers on my ram phone mount I cannot drive with my phone on the handlebars. The vibration from the 690 makes the camera shake on my iPhone and I really don't want to lose that camera. So Pulling into Guanajuato in the middle of the Cervantino festival with a dead phone and no navigation turned into make for one hell of a day trying to find a place to stay with secure parking. The city is just a network of tiny streets and tunnels built into the side of a hill. I had been there before as a kid but definitely wasn't in control of navigation the car. haha. Met a girl from Guanajuato and she took me to get tacos and some beers. She was actually from Veracruz and finished Medical school and was practicing internal medicine in Guanajuato. We discussed the usual quality of life conversation and shared travel stories. It was a good night with a new friend Carolina. I kinda forgot to snap any pictures until the next day. Miriam came to Guanajuato and I ended up at a place called Bar Fly for a little while. I woke up the next day walked around and took some pictures, met some nice german folks and just enjoyed the day. Ill post the pictures below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Woke up on Tuesday Morning and hauled to Mexico City on the Cuota (Toll Road). Mexico City is amazing. There is so much history here. I will try to type up a report about it later but here is a few pictures so far. Im staying at a hostel in Centro for a few days and been doing some walking tours so far.

[​IMG]
    The Subways are something else. So many people and its only a 5 peso toll so it seems to be the main form of transportation for everyone.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple guys waiting for about 7000 people heading north from guatamala.

[​IMG]

Amazing ceiling at a Psychiatric Hospital in Centro. It is suspended by cables because of all the earthquakes in Mexico City.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The building that feel down in the James Bond Film Spectre.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of the building int he town are sinking due to it being built on top of a alke

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Todays upload zone. Its pretty chill. Especially since about 8 good looking brazilian chicks just checked in. Ciao

[​IMG]
    chilejack, NSFW, Bike Guy and 4 others like this.