BeenRiding: Around the world on a KTM 690 - Panama Currently

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Beenriding, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Beenriding

Beenriding Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spent the day uploading some photos and then waited for my mom to fly in and uber to the hostel. It was a good excuse to spend the money on a private room but still get to enjoy hostel life. I told my mom to bring my Osprey backpack so she would fit in.

[​IMG]
    We went out for a couple of drinks and I didn't grab too many more pictures. We woke up the next morning and went for a little sightseeing.

Murals like this are set up all around the city for the festival this weekend.
    [​IMG]

Cindy having fun cramming in the CDMX subway.
    [​IMG]

Aztec Ruins beside the cathedral at Zocolo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hit a Mexican Wrestling Match on Friday night. It was hilarious

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were floating around the parade on Saturday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Walked around the Reforma Area and checked out some amazing architecture.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hit a Pulqueria

[​IMG]

Hands Free
    [​IMG]

Trying to set up a parade tent and all the kids are ripping it up

[​IMG]

Dead Bread
    [​IMG]

Checked participating in a protest off the list

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moved mom to a little nicer hotel in Condesa. She had enough of the Hostel life

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Considering the only way to get anywhere in this city is to ride a motorcycle or take the Subway. There tends to be alot of eye candy sitting around.

[​IMG]

Caught dancers taking lessons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mom and my Hostel Friends

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Id have more pictures of the actual parade but i couldnt quite get to the right vantage point. There is alot of people here......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some cant hang

[​IMG]

Some can...winning

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped to grab some light reading since she couldnt see the parade probably.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didnt realizes till the second day that our hotel was beside the Honduran Embassy. Didn't seem to have a whole bunch going on there...I guess they may be busy in the upcoming weeks so they are taking a vacation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went to Xochimilco and then Teotihuacan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent mom to the airport and have to sort out a little problem with the bike.......Made a big mistake and left it outside one night. I had a disk lock and the steering wheel locked but the bastards broke it before they saw the disc lock and now my key won't work in the ignition. Went to the KTM shop and picked up some help. Plus Alejandro from the shop offered up his couch for me to sleep on so I'm gonna hit that up tonight and will give an update tomorrow. He is looking for a new ignition and hopefully he has one. I mean this is the best city for a while to have something liek this happen

Alberto rolling away with my hotwired KTM

[​IMG]
  2. Kerschbaumer

Kerschbaumer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome stuff, subscribed. Wife and I just got back in July from same trip, the South America leg anyways, Stahlratte, Dakar, Ushuaia back up to Bogota. I was on a 690 as well, awesome choice of moto I think, just keep the fuel clean and carry spare front sprocket & rocker arms as they can be rare as hens teeth down south. Happy to offer any beta if you like.
  3. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    Good to hear. I'm running a Golan filter right before the injector and I'm buying the best gasoline I can. Mine is a 2016 and I haven't heard of any failures in the rocker arms yet from this year model. However, I may take your advice and pick up a new front sprocket. I was kinda thinking mine was going to make it to Colombia but ill do a little more investigation.
  4. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    They heated up the ignition and mended it back to into working order. However, they couldn't get the lock to work since the frame was bent. I told them that it didn't matter since it obviously doesn't help much anyways. I'm staying at Alberto's house/Printing business/motorcycle shop for until Friday or so I can get my Drone repaired and wait for a new debit card from Chase bank. Every chance he gets he is looking over my bike and thinking of something else he can button up for me. So far he has already sourced some new shoes for the bike, got me an H4 bulb for my low beam that went out, fixed the ignition and a leaking countershaft seal and washed the bike and we will change the brake fluid and coolant after he gets off work tonight. Not a bad friend to have in CDMX if you ask me. I think I think I may stick around until Friday and attend their Halloween party and then head to Puebla on Saturday.

[​IMG]
  5. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    Trying to get out of town on Tuesday after I get drone fixed and a package with new debit card/ random bullshit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    roadcapDen likes this.
  6. LOZ

LOZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    enjoying your report mate,remember the front sprockets do 3 times the work of the rear

loz
  7. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    Got stuck in CDMX for a long time waiting on a damn Fedex package that took forever to get here but thats a different story. Here a little bit to catch me up today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caught a little rainstorm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Carlos Slims Museum - I cant remember the name

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Free parking for motorcycles

[​IMG]

These homies rolled into CDMX, Buck left the next day and patrick just left today to head back through the US since his radiotor was giving him problems.

[​IMG]

Went and caught a little off road at Ajusco with Alberto

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let the Homie borrow my bike and he brought it back pretty soon because the sections were pretty gnarly and I told him that i have to ride the MF'r to Argentina.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picked up a new headlight bulb for the low beam

[​IMG]

Got a new Chop

[​IMG]\

[​IMG]

Got the teeth cleaned up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scary truckers leaving the dentist

[​IMG]

Checked out the largest University in all of Latin America (UNAM)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ate some bombass dankass fried quesadillas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hit up a pool hall in Condesa

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got hooked up with a New TKC 80

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fixed the seat my fatass broke (actually Patrick Fixed my Seat/And maybe some footpegs)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not Sure who spilled all the used coolant though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ate a pancake taco. It was lit

[​IMG]

Left Albertos and headed to Puebla

[​IMG]

Cool little elevated running platform that went for miles throught the city.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    chilejack, Saso, Pinky and 1 other person like this.
  8. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    Got into a conversation with the dude in the hat for way to long as i just tried to upload my ride report. Ended up drinking beers until 12am and arguing with Robin that he doesnt have Cerebral Palsy but instead he might just have a drinking problem as he argued with me that Mexico is very dangerous and he has almost died 5 times. After digging into each one of the 5 instances of near-death i was able to determined that ever instance could have been avoided my not being a drunk dumbass. Woke up the next morning a decided to blast to Oaxaca for the weekend in order to not get caught up with any more conversations with Robin.

Safe Parking in Puebla Hostel
    [​IMG]

Nice Bunks
    [​IMG]

Rolling Out
    [​IMG]

The ride to Oaxaca was a bit boring at first with only a few large volcanoes to look at in the distance. Started gaining altitude and then ended up in some amazing highland stretches for at least half the ride. Very Cool

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little Texas Tornado

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Locals took over the toll booth and picked up some quick cash

[​IMG]

Got to Oaxaca City, Checked in the Hostel I found with secure parking and became I little discouraged since it was completely empty. Pulled out my couchsurfing app and meet up with some other travelers from the hangout platform. Ended up meeting Adam, Irenne and Pamela in the Zocolo. We went back to Irennes Hostel that has a rooftop bar and hung out there until 12 or so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next day I picked up Irenne and went to explore the surrounding area including Hierve el Agua, El Tule (the largest girth tree in the world) and Monte Alban. She was pretty amazed that she was able to see 3 different sights in just half a day that would normally take her 2 days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got back home to the hostel to meet a couple traveling around the world on a R1200GS. I planned to catch up more with them later but we never saw each other again. I went to a Mezcal Tasting session with Pamela and then hung out until they had to catcha bus to Puerto Escondito at 1am. I went home hit the sack, woke up around 830 and booked it to Puerto Escondido too. After stopping to fly the drone multiple times and eat some lunch in the mountains I made it to Puerto Escondito at 1:30 there bus arrived a 11:30 haha. The joy of having a motorcycle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just hanging in Puerto Escondito for a few days until I try to blast to San Cristobal De Las Casas, Palenque and then Guatemala.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice little spread at the Hostel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    Trying to get further south I left Puerto Escondito and Headed to Mazunte. There was a big music/Jazz Festival going on this weekend and I wanted to find a hostel or place to camp before all the spots got reserved. Heading out I accidentally left my Garmin Inreach in the Hostel had to turn around about halfway go back and get it. Also managed to lose my tennis shoes. However, ran into Pam walking down the street and she directed me towards her hostel that had spaces in their Estrellas so Im gonna count the day as a win. Ended up spending a few days sleeping here in paradise. Met my new friend Tom at the hostel bar. He was a pretty cool kid that moved to Mexico 6 years ago from Australia and is now building some rental properties in Tulum. I have a feeling I may be seeing Tom sometime in the future.

Hostel Bar
    [​IMG]

Lunch at Hostel Posada Architecto
    [​IMG]

Had to hike to the room but it was worth it
    [​IMG]

My Bed for the next 4 Days. Not to Shabby
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hostel Balcony
    [​IMG]

Nice Parking at bottom in Gated enclosure
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

setting up for the Jazz fest
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Puerto Angel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lime and Coconut Ice Cream
    [​IMG]

Got a little lost but its ok

[​IMG]\

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back in Mazunte

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a few days I left and headed to Tuxtla tried to make it to San Cristobal but it got to dark. Stayed the night in Tuxtla and didnt take any pictures. Its just a big ugly city. Woke up and headed to San Cristobal De Las Casas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Treated my self to a nice little Thai lunch down the street from the hostel. Staying in a Hostel called Puerta Viaje (It is freaking awesome)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hostel BBQ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next day I woke up and went to Sumidero Canyon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VIDEO - Sumidero Canyon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Saso

Saso Happily sporting the DRD4 gene Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying this! Thanks for taking time to bring us along!
  11. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    @Saso … No problemo. Just trying to stay as updated as I can. I enjoyed many ride reports myself and feel like I have to try and return the favor.
  12. Steinbuck

Steinbuck Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great photos and a good start to the story. After a long day of riding it can be tough to sit at a computer and wait for things to slowly upload.

I gotta ask...How'd you chew through the backpacks? That probably seems like a loooooong time ago.
  13. Brooosss

Brooosss Attention whoring at its worst.

Oddometer:
    Ummmm... are you a chick magnet?
    Great stories and pictures!
    Beenriding likes this.
  14. CJones10

CJones10 Ride, Ski, Travel & Enjoy! Instagram: cwj1290

Oddometer:
    In & following - thanks for the ride. You Mom is a keeper and your Pop's post was funny. Stay safe amigo.
  15. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    Haha Im not sure what the deal is @broosss. They just keep appearing hopefully its a continuous trend.

@CJones10 No problem guys all try to keep it up the best I can
  16. Wi11

Wi11 Canadian

Oddometer:
    You are overloaded! Surely by now you’ve realized you don’t need all that stuff.
    Beenriding likes this.
  17. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    @Wi11 Im slowly dumping stuff as I go. I could definitely get rid of about 1/3rd the stuff and I will but it’s not too bad right now
  18. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In...sounds and looks like a lot of fun. Quick question - how much spanish do you know?
  19. Kayakkawakid

Kayakkawakid USPS

Oddometer:
    Cool reports, mr c.jones hooked me up to you. When you were in Mexico city, it brought back lots of memories. That (girl with the bow and arrow) statue (close to the angel of independence statue) she was my girlfriend. And that local dance performed on that small square (next to that guy on a horse statue) is the starting scene to the last James bond flix, ck it out. Safe travels bro.
  20. Beenriding

Oddometer:
    @sprouty115 I have a little bit and its allowing me to get by but i definitely still order the wrong shit and people look at me like im a dumbass. lol. However, thats about to change im gonna start a homestay problem with a host family for a few months starting next week in Antigua which should be pretty beneficial. Maybe not for you guys but ill keep yall in the loop on any day trips.

@Kayakkawakid Good to hear. Im glad i could bring back some memories.
    sprouty115 likes this.