Beer container

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Motomantra, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    https://www.growlerwerks.com/collections/shop
    We've been hitting the tap rooms lately. I'd like to find out from the collective if something like this would keep beer fresh longer than the typical growler.
    Where's that guy down in Eugene? :drink
  2. Mumbles24

Mumbles24 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beer going flat on you? You're doing something wrong. Likely rate of intake is too slow! I use a flip top that keeps beer fresh about 3 days.
  3. AVPU

AVPU Forever Noob Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, but a lot of breweries here are only handing out pre-filled growlers.
  4. peterman

peterman cop magnet

Oddometer:
    Springfield,,,,like the Simpsons,,,orygun
    I have a great beer container,,works like a guaranteed charm,,it's called,,,my belly!
    Anything over a half gallon per day,,you may as well buy an old fridge and get a keg (or a sixth)
    Our favorite brewery ,ColdFire,,(https://www.coldfirebrewing.com/) has quart cans that they fill and seal on the spot. Those will keep LONG time!
  5. jusbeach

jusbeach Ramble on Rose

Oddometer:
    Mr. Fisherman likes this.
  6. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a crowler machine. Crowlers see, to be far more convenient than growlers right now, but you have to drink it all once opened. Shouldnt be difficult, its only 2 beers
  7. Lumberjeff

Lumberjeff River City MC

Oddometer:
    One trick is to keep it upside down or on its side so the beer is against the cap.
    Watercat likes this.
  8. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have one of those in the house here - gallon size. Works great, but doesn't get used as much ... because it's easier to just drink faster! ;)

If you were looking to get yourself a gallon of beer and have one pint per night - and you're local was willing to fill a growler you brought in now - then one of those would be a good choice. If you're planning to have more than one beer/pint per night, I'd probably just stick with 64 or 32oz growlers for sake of cost and convenience.

Oh - the irony of the fancy one is that when it does get used, it's usually mostly to show it off when people will be over or it's being taken to an event...which is exactly the situation for which a regular growler is perfect. :doh
    Motomantra and AVPU like this.
  9. peterman

peterman cop magnet

Oddometer:
    I already said it,,buy an old funky fridge, poke a hole (2) in the door for the tap (s), and a hole in the side for the CO2 line in,,get a 1/6th barrel of Pilsner from ColdFire, and add another tap for a 1/6th barrel of stout (their oatmeal stout is the very best on the entire planet!). 2 taps out the door! put a bottle of whiskey on the shelf inside,,,,and you can do 'dark and tan boilermakers'.!
    Leave the IPA crap for the moronic slobs who think that they are beer drinkers.

I drink stout,,I Piss Ale= IPA
    motrhead and ScottMalv like this.
  10. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure, a keg fridge is great for impressing friends who come TO your house, but with a two or three hundred dollar super growler you can impress people EVERYWHERE.

Oh, I guess a keg fridges is actually good for drinking beer too - were we talking about that? :imaposer:photog
  11. panhead_dan

panhead_dan This aint jo daddy's Grundle.

Oddometer:
    Stanley (the Thermos people) makes a half gallon growler. There is no advantage to any other growler, it's that good.
    AAND it's only about $33.
  12. Dansrc51

Dansrc51 I need a cape....

Oddometer:
    These won’t keep your beer fresher longer. It will keep it carbonated longer. Once a beer has been moved from the brite tank (where it’s clarified and carbonated) to any vessel, the clock starts ticking.

the longest shelf life and the best format are kegs that are refrigerated, aka draft beer. Cans are a distant second. Crowlers, Growlers, etc, a long long third. Beer needs to be consumed quickly. Oxygen ingress happens when filling these containers, creating rapid deterioration.

keeping any beer cold and out of the light should be objective number one, followed by consuming it as soon as possible.

pouring half a glass or can and putting it back into the fridge is really a bad idea. Especially for hop forward beers.

we will always make more beer. Buy smaller formats if 64 or 32 oz are too much.

Peter states rightly that a kegerator is great for fresh beer and it’s true, if you have a household consumption (enough beer drinkers) to move through the product, ideally within a month or less of tapping it. Kegs can be had in formats as small as 5 gallons these days, maybe smaller depending on the brewery. 5 gallon kegs range from $50-100 depending on the beer and brewery. It’s still a lot of beer, but better for freshness.

this is my life’s work.
  13. Dansrc51

Oddometer:
    And I’d be happy to see your smiling face at the brewery! My personal favorite at the moment is torn between the Italian Pilsner and the German Helles.
    kwisn likes this.
  14. TK-421

TK-421 Master of Mediocrity

Oddometer:
    Helles you say? :ear Is your taproom open again in some format?
  15. Dansrc51

Oddometer:

Yes sir. Friday through Sunday. Burgers and brews.
    TK-421 and Watercat like this.
  16. panhead_dan

panhead_dan This aint jo daddy's Grundle.

Oddometer:
    When I got my Stanley growler, I filled it and left it on the kitchen countertop for 2 days. Popped it open and drew a glass. It was as cold as the day it was filled.
    Next test was duration. 2 weeks unopened in the fridge and there was was no degradation I could detect in either carbonation, flavor or anything else.
    It is built like a battle tank and has a closed loop handle so it can simply be bungied to the bike if you want. Very simple and easy to clean and dry. Seal is removable for cleaning and available to replace if that's ever needed.
    This growler is like the suit the Men In Black wear.
    TK-421 likes this.
  17. Watercat

Watercat . . . gravity sucks

Oddometer:
    For all practical purposes of home use, I just freshen up growler beer that has been sitting in the fridge a while(too long) with bottled beer, just pour into a pint glass, old beer - new beer to your exacting specified percentage of freshen-up, and that way no beer gets wasted around here . . . . . Works for me, YMMV . . . . .:photog . . . . .:drink . . . . .:beer . . . . . .:freaky . . . . .:dunno
  18. peterman

peterman cop magnet

Oddometer:
    Geez Dan, I only got a couple days out of that last leg. Guess I'd better restock.
    I figger a 5 gallon keg is about 40 beers, so if you are a 6 pack per day type of beer drinker you'll get more mileage than me.
    I do want to add another tap to my fridge for a keg of stout. I'll need a splitter for my CO2 line. Good weekend project!
    Dansrc51 and panhead_dan like this.
  19. Dansrc51

Oddometer:
    I got a keg for you Peterman! Would love to see your mug.
  20. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ll never forget the time I was doing part of the OBDR and at the end of the day we bought a sixer of black butte porter before hitting the campsite. Drank two apiece before crashing for the night (I know, right?) and rather than leave behind the still live soldiers, I put them in my happy trails panniers. By the time we stopped for lunch this beers had unleashed their fury in my bags and everything was stained and stinky. Lesson learned.

drink the damn beer!