Before it gets too cold!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ginger Beard, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    The day called for rain and we woke to cool temps and gray skies. The pain in my neck was less and my shoulder now felt fine but I was being a bit lazy getting ready. Rich was ready an hour before me. A dick move on my part but the riding would more than make up for my piss poor attitude towards punctuality.

The trails today would be almost exclusively single track! That bench-cut going up that ridge is the trail on our route. shortly after this first turn to the right the trail goes straight into a rocky and steep climb with several switchbacks. Good morning!!

IMG_20191019_103926.jpg

A short breather before continuing. I was still in a bit of a shit mood from the day before , something that Rich didn't let slide. There's a reason we're friends and one of the major factors is that neither of us will hesitate to call the other one out on his bullshit. Todays was my turn to suck it up and change my attitude.

IMG_20191019_104851.jpg

Lots of fell trees. You can tell that the end of the riding season is approaching as these trails look like they haven't seen moto traffic in weeks. IMG_20191019_110443.jpg

Today would really challenge me. It's not that the riding was that hard but I haven't run bench cuts in many years. There were many places along this route where one side of the bike was against a wall and the other side , a steep and very long fall with nowhere to put your outside foot if you screw up. At one point my adrenaline had me set at def-con 1 and I decided to stop and catch my breath. Bad freakin' idea!! I had stopped by leaning my right shoulder and bar on a rock outcropping that stuck out of the embankment because I had nowhere to put my left foot (just air underneath). Well, the stop wasn't so bad but getting moving again took some real doing. I couldn't really get either foot down and there was no really good way to right the bike while simultaneously getting speed before the rocky ledge just ahead of me. I sort of shoved off with my elbow while gassing/clutching it. I got just enough speed to get upright before my front wheel was at the ledge. A yank on the bars while hoisting myself into a standing position got the front wheel up just in time and I went right over..."DON"T LOOK DOWN!! " I had to consciously yell at myself.

A short while later and the trail widened enough for a proper break.
    IMG_20191019_111257.jpg

We had a couple more interesting bits of bench cut including a spot where the trail had been washed away by the storm earlier in the week. The only line through was to go slightly up the steep ridge which the bench was cut from and use a small rock outcropping as a bridge of sort. I probably wouldn't have thought much of it on my dirtbike but aboard a dualsport with 30 lbs of gear it became some interesting stuff.

Exploring some ruins off the trail.
    IMG_20191019_132846.jpg

IMG_20191019_133207.jpg
    black 8, wilfred, Plebeian and 7 others like this.
  2. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Man you nailed it!! Great little place with awesome subs! Definitely get out there and ride this stuff!!
  3. rev.co

rev.co more will than skill

Oddometer:
    That wasn’t my only fall.. the following day, that tree jumped out in the trail on me..
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  4. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Haha, I forgot about that one!!
  5. JRowland

JRowland Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those ruins are sweet, I love finding that stuff in the woods. Was all of this over near Robbinsville (you said you exited onto the Cherohala) or was some of it near Waynesville? The sub shop lunch has me a little confused on where this awesome looking woods riding took place. I'd gladly take a PM of the routes, especially where those ruins are.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  6. rev.co

rev.co more will than skill

Oddometer:
    I live in Waynesville.. we started the route near Andrews and headed towards Tellico..
    JRowland and Ginger Beard like this.
  7. JRowland

JRowland Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too! Thanks, that's what I needed to know.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  8. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Ruins are just south of Tellico Plains.
    rsteiger and JRowland like this.
  9. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Off of McFarland Road. Some call it the Aztec Ruins... I think it was actually part of an old concrete plant in the early 1900's.
    JRowland and Ginger Beard like this.
  10. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info. I found the spillway particularly interesting. A very post apocalyptic vibe to the area.
    JRowland likes this.
  11. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For some reason it reminds me of that bunker in "Return of the Jedi"
    [​IMG]
    wilfred, Plebeian, rsteiger and 2 others like this.
  12. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Hah, I thought the same when I rounded the corner and saw it!!
    JRowland likes this.
  13. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    This last section of trails was nothing short of spectacular!! Tight singletrack with long steep climbs. The light rain was making everything a tacky loam. If you're familiar with the the term 'hero dirt" then you know exactly what conditions I'm describing. Multi story climbs with water bars that would launch you , sending you into a long uphill wheelie as you'd land on throttle in order to keep momentum. I was laughing out loud in my helmet and I could hear Rich "woohooing" up ahead of me. I was finally feeling damn good which was perfect as these trails were my favorite of the entire northern SM500+.

THIS is exactly why I'm now back to a sub 350 lbs adventure rig. To me, nothing screams adventure more than the ability to ride fully loaded several states away and still be able to head into sketchy singltrack and ride the hell out of it. Again, it was clear that it had been a while since any other moto had been through here.

When we arrived at the end of these trail, there were two very friendly women on horseback that were about to head down through where we'd just come up. These are multi use trails and it would have been interesting had we not timed this perfectly. There were multiple bench cut sections where it would have been nearly impossible to allow a horse to pass by. I let the women know that there were no other riders behind us which got a cheerful response and a "You boys enjoy your day" and off we went.

IMG_20191019_133625.jpg

It was now just after 3 p.m. and starting to rain. The light drizzles that we had been encountering throughout the day had finally become solid rain. We decided to find a lunch stop and weigh out our options.

By the time we had reached Ducktown TN it was pouring. We stopped at a pizza and sub shop and headed in for a bit of food and warmth. Rich and I were both pretty damn tired already (note to self, work out and ride your damn bicycle!!) and a complete lack of internet has us a bit frustrated. We wanted to grab a cheap hotel for a night but we didn't want to be too far off of the route so that we could get right back to riding in the a.m. After getting our food and discussing which town we should try to find a hotel in , we were both at a bit of a loss since as to which direction to head since we had no cell service and couldn't check availability. It would suck to ride 30-45 minutes in this mess only to find out that there were no rooms available. At some point the food and caffeine must have kicked in and I had the brilliant idea of realizing that we are seated in a business in a modern town that is within the boarders of a first world nation. Surely the proprietor must have a phone and mayhaps this establishment even has WIFI ? GENIUS!!! :imaposer

Sure enough this place was thoroughly hooked up with lightening fast WIFI. We searched frantically for a town close by with rooms available. The choices ? just one and it was in Ocoee nearly 30 miles away. That's when a second wave of superior acumen came over me and I said to Rich "Wait, I think that there's a hotel in this parking lot. " Google confirmed what my eyes had believed that they'd seen and then we both had a good laugh at what total mental failures we are.:rofl

Rich headed across the parking lot to check out the hotel.
    IMG_20191019_161643.jpg
    Me taking a selfie and lamenting the fact that my brain can no longer accomplish even the most rudimentary of tasks.
    IMG_20191019_161717.jpg
    black 8, wilfred, rsteiger and 12 others like this.
  14. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    We're gonna need pics of the wimmen and horses, just to confirm.
  15. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your too your to start having brain farts :lol3
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  16. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Excellent stuff, GB.
    Yeti2ride and Ginger Beard like this.
  17. Gadawg803

Gadawg803 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent! The sandy roads of Georgia and South Carolina are where most of my time is spent. I love it here too! The sm500 is a great ride. Did it solo a couple years ago.
  18. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    You say that but you'll have to trust me that you wouldn't like the product if I delivered it. :lol3
  19. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Sheeooot... Tell that to my gray matter. :D
  20. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Thank you sir!