Before it gets too cold!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ginger Beard, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

Correct. We came in from the north , the dirt road being 500. 281 to Cheaha is really nice. I've ridden it a few times in the past and really enjoyed it. On this trip I was only on 281 for about 3 miles.
  2. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Above freezing and light rain this morning. 20-30cm of snow later today and tonight. Nice. I'm trying to acquire a Honda Grom and the weather is not cooperating.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  3. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Too much cold for my FL blood! :lol3

4. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    The road turns to dirt just south of the campground and within minutes of being on the bike, I was grooving down a winding road, cresting rolling hills a sliding corners. Mpg be damned, I was having too much fun!!

That also means that I didn't stop for many pics so I do apologize for that. I won't apologize for the great time I was having. :D

IMG_20191021_102941.jpg

The pavement sections that connected the dirt tracks were really enjoyable. Being early in the day I had them all to myself. Even the scenic overlooks were devoid of traffic and tourists.

That view...

IMG_20191021_104653.jpg

IMG_20191021_111659.jpg

The natural scenery hasn't changed much in the decade since I was last at this spot but the lot has gained a bit of sidewalk art.

Ratrod94_Southern%20DS%20Loop%209-2011_100_0299.jpg
    black 8, wilfred, JRowland and 2 others like this.
  5. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Even with the looming rains and gray skies, the Talladega Forest didn't disappoint. Stopping at this overlook was both enjoyable and a little disheartening. The felicity of such a scene is pretty obvious. What can't be seen is that I was nearing the end of the mountain range.

IMG_20191021_111710.jpg
    I reentered the dirt a short time later, passing through several clear cuts and a logging truck taking a haul out of the forest.

These truck don't slow for much. This little dude doesn't have much in terms of escape velocity so I gave him some assistance.
    IMG_20191021_113228.jpg

Turtles are notoriously ungrateful for a rescue. This guy was no different. I'm doing this for you buddy!!
    IMG_20191021_113257.jpg

Someone decided to revive an old logging truck. Hacked roof and no plate tells me that it may not be exactly legal.
    IMG_20191021_114426.jpg
    Absolutely perfect riding conditions for a great day of this thing we call adventure riding!
    IMG_20191021_114434.jpg

I stopped to get fuel and snacks here many years ago. I also grabbed a small toy for my daughter while I was here and spent sometime sharing a few laughs with my riding buddies and a few locals. What an absolute shame to see it with closed doors. Our world is in constant flux and nothing is certain. Hopefully this little country store sees a new staff one day.

IMG_20191021_115439.jpg

I continued south along the thin divide between where I am and the Ga border to the east.

IMG_20191021_121545.jpg

You can just make out the mountain ridge line off in the distance.

IMG_20191021_121551.jpg

Just outside of the town of Lineville AL I came across this cool little photo op. Not sure what the story is surrounding this building but it was a cool find on a little back road well outside of the downtown district.

IMG_20191021_121856.jpg

I stopped by a bank in order to grab a bit of cash. Often in these small towns of the south , you will find that many businesses still only operate on cash sales. While waiting for the drive up ATM, the gentleman in front of me dropped a large sum of cash while trying to pull it from the ATM. Without thinking, I hopped off the bike to get his money back to him. It was relatively windy with the storms nearby so I had to do that little dance that is required whenever anything as small and light as a dollar bill is caught in a breeze. All I could think of was that I must look pretty silly jumping around in the parking lot with all of my gear on. Then it dawned on me that here's a perfect stranger sitting in his car while another stranger grabs a fistful of his hard earned money , not knowing my intentions. I cautiously approached his car and said "Sir, I have all of the money that I saw fall. Please count it and make sure that it's all there." He counted it and then let out a little sigh of relief saying "It's all there young man. Thank you for helping me and for being honest." Which is when I noticed the handicap placard and the cane resting on the passenger seat. I apologized for possibly startling him and he told me not to worry and to please ride safely.

That scene left me thinking about our modern society and how strange it is to feel the need to apologize for doing the right thing. We live in a world that is quite a bit different than the one I was raised in. It has different rules and values from a world where the owner of a gas station would "Put it on your dad's tab". It's something that I have little interest in acclimating to. The good news is that mine isn't the first generation to feel this way and as hard a sell it is to me, this era will be the good ole' days for someone else and it will be a memory that evokes equal joys and sorrows. Perspective; it's difficult to adjust and it shapes our view of the world. Okay, maybe I'll need to revisit mine at some point...

I came across a little burger joint which was great because I was running on empty. Time to fill up.

I went inside to order and immediately noticed how diminutive the place is and how the multiple cars outside betrayed it's tiny interior. I also noticed the sign which read "Cash or local checks only". See what I mean? Glad I hit the bank!! I grabbed a seat at the back of the restaurant after ordering a cheeseburger , fries and a Dr Pepper... All freaking fantastic!! I told the woman at the counter how great the food is and told her that they need to franchise. She laughed and said "We like it simple". Agreed.

That's it...That's the whole restaurant. Burger Quick, Lineville AL.
    IMG_20191021_124035.jpg
    black 8, wilfred, JRowland and 7 others like this.
  6. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying your 'perspective', GingerBeard. I'm from an older generation and it gives me a bit of hope for my grandchildren's world to see a young feller who still appreciates meandering off the beaten path and makes an effort to help a stranger on occasion!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  7. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    A decade? WTF, time flies!

Enjoying your sojurns.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  8. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I meet a lot of younger people that still have an adventurous spirit and a good heart. Lots of reasons to be hopeful about those that will be inheriting this world from us. I appreciate you following along and commenting! :beer

Dude, you're telling me?! At some point I'm going to have to change my name to White Beard!! Time is flying by.

Much appreciated man and I just want to thank you again for letting me park my truck at your place. Saved me 10 hours of miserable slab riding!
    sanjoh and staticPort like this.
  9. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    White Beard?
    One day my youngest granddaughter (about 3), sitting on my lap and stroking my beard, asked "Paw Paw, why do you color your hair white?"
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  10. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really like your take on life!! As I have said before.....thanks for sharing your thoughts of life with us!!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  11. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

:lol3 Well I'm sure that I'm not far off from that.
  12. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Thank you Dano , I'm glad you enjoy my mental wanderings. Sometimes I second guess sharing my thoughts, worried they may annoy or offend others in this community. I continue to do so because you and many others continue to come back to my ride reports and I truly appreciate that.

Hope you're all having a great weekend!
    dano619, staticPort and JRowland like this.
  13. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do it! I may be able to lend a hand next year!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  14. TrailBreak

TrailBreak Eternal Pessimist

Oddometer:
    Hell yah Bad Religion
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  15. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Man that would be cool! Okay, time to start planning a "Ghosts of the South" ride!
    rsteiger and JRowland like this.
  16. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

My favorite band!
    TrailBreak likes this.
  17. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    I left Burger Quick in a light rain with a full belly.
    IMG_20191021_134443.jpg

Alabama has a ton of dirt roads. Many counties are quite poor and while that's not great for the people that live here, it's wonderful for ADV riding as the march of pavement and modern infrastructure is slowed to a reasonable pace.

Many of these areas are again owned by timber companies with very few old growth areas left. It really is incredible the environmental impact that can be done by one single industry. That bald isn't a natural one...
    IMG_20191021_135737.jpg

And it went on for miles. I was dying to just rip that logging trail but was pressed for time.
    IMG_20191021_140049.jpg

Crossing the Tallapoosa river. No need to rescue the turtles trying to suck up some warmth an the only exposed rock.
    IMG_20191021_141140.jpg

I passed several abandoned homesteads but their proximity to occupied homes stopped me from exploring them and then I came across this!!

It was an old workshop hidden in the overgrowth, with only the top of the roof visible from the roadway. I pushed my way in and found a place that looked as though someone simply walked away from it. It's a bit worse for wear and looks to have been looted at some point but there were still a tone of tools, old timber, leather strapping,etc.

IMG_20191021_142427.jpg

I rolled through the small town of Roanoke AL. The old downtown area had some beautiful buildings. Most of the storefronts were vacant. Hopefully if it sees any revitalization, the investors see fit to preserve this charm.
    IMG_20191021_145009.jpg

Back on the long and winding gravel roads. There is some enjoyable riding to be had in this region of the south!!
    IMG_20191021_155628.jpg
    IMG_20191021_155638.jpg

Along the route I came to a bridge closed sign. Not being one to take a sign at face value, I decided to give it a chance just to see how "out" this bridge actually was.

IMG_20191021_160329.jpg

That doesn't look so bad!! I had half a mind to just pin it and if there was something wrong on the other side, my speed would carry me over. My next thought was "Don't be a complete asshat! Go check it out first."

Well damn I was partly right !! On an unloaded bike this wouldn't phase me but alone on a road that doesn't look to ever see traffic and on a bike with gear, that double stack of 2 foot gaps with a rotten and loose piece of steel looked like a gamble. Add in the washout with a drop at the end and only a narrow spit of dirt as a run out, it just seemed like a bad idea. If Rich were still along I probably wouldn't have cared. Solo with the shadows getting increasingly longer i decided to do a quick reroute.

IMG_20191021_160540.jpg

By the way , I apologize for the lack of updates over the past couple of days. Visiting family and friends took precedence. I'll have far more updates tomorrow a.m. thanks for sticking around and being patient!

Dave

18. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Just caught up GB...

Really likin' your writing style, keep up the good work...