Beginner Dirt Near Seattle

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Eris, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Eris

Eris Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well for whatever reason search is failing me now for this forum so I'll just ask (most likely for the 80th time).

A friend just got her first dual sport and wants to go ride some dirt. She has plenty of moto experience other than dirt and plenty of mountain bike experience so she's not totally green. While I'd LOVE to head down to the Packwood/Randle area it's a bit of a haul for a one day trip with the days short and cold as they are right now. So looking for suggestions for areas to play in that would have SOME of the following:

relatively flat-ish. Places to play that don't require steep off-road to get to.
    dirt roads and gravel that is well packed... no mud bogs. A little mud is fine of course.
    Not too far from North Seattle- 1 to 2 hours away would likely be max with the short days and possible exhaustion factors.

FS road numbers appreciated if you got em. Tahuya might be an option though I'd guess it might fail the mud bog test right now?
  2. Granparacer

Granparacer Old but not dead

Oddometer:
    Tahuya State Forest near Belfair has what you're looking for. See the DNR website for maps and information.
  3. GSguy

GSguy Here's a quarter. Supporter

Oddometer:
    If its a plated bike head over 90 to Stampede pass exit, head south and there are a bunch of FS roads, power line access roads with some nice single track that you can take off on. You can head over Tacoma pass and end up on Hwy 410 IIRC, it's been a few years since I've been back there. There is another FS road that will take you to the Bench Creek area and you will pop out at Easton, but to do that loop there is a river crossing but you could always turn back at that point and back track.
  4. kuroda_tadayoshi

kuroda_tadayoshi Kuroda

Oddometer:
    The easiest, closest road is FS 56, the middle fork road, exit 34 off of I-90. It would be a great confidence builder for a beginner. As you get towards the end of the road, take the branch to the right, towards Goldmyer hot springs. It has a little hill with small rocks. This would good practice going up and down.

Another close one that is a little step up from that is FS57, the north fork road, exit 31 off of I-90. As you get near the end of that road, there are some bigger rocks you get to go over. Also, there are many side roads that are more or a challenge.

Both roads are easy, fun little rides. I live in Seattle, and will sometimes hit them after work, as it is the nearest dirt. In fact, here is a picture from yesterday. I headed up FS 56 in the afternoon instead of going straight home.

Attached Files:

5. Eris

Eris Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That road looks PERFECT! Thanks all for the suggestions!
  6. WetSideRider

WetSideRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Taneum Junction area in the near future, but not for long as the snow will fly. Gravel roads around with gradual exposure level onto jeep trails, then mild single track, then less mild single track.
  7. turnsleft

turnsleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    :wave Eris, you might want to just scroll back and look for posts from Tom Edison and Kwisn, they do lots of FS loops. If you read through them you will see who not to follow.:lol3
  8. kwisn

kwisn One Happy Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    Watch out for that Double H dude. :lol3
  9. vacantstare

vacantstare Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been up that road dozens of times, yet I don't remember it being so beautiful. I must have been going too fast to notice :lol3
  10. turnsleft

turnsleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was not going to say that.:evil
  11. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    I90 exit 38 is fun to explore. have fun
  12. causef0rconcern

causef0rconcern Rift Explorer

Oddometer:
    exit 42 as well!
  13. Eris

Eris Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went up to check out the road in the Pumpkin AdventureMobile today (Honda Element). Wanted to go on the bike but the shoulder decided to get all pissed off. GREAT ROAD! Dirt to start, then a bit of gravel, the hills and a few potholes, then some tiny stream crossings for added dirt cred -then she can say she did "river" crossings on her first time on dirt... I won't tell :D

Sort of the perfect road that gets harder as you gain experience. Awesome all, Thanks! Depending on how it goes we'll maybe branch out. First real time being in the lead so want to make sure I am as nice about it as those who led me were to me back when I'd just started riding.
  14. kuroda_tadayoshi

kuroda_tadayoshi Kuroda

Oddometer:
    Take the Element, and throw a couple mountain bikes in the back. Once you get to the gate at the end of FS 56, ride 4.5 miles to the bridge, and take a short hike to the hot springs.

They start in a cave, flow out to a pool, then over a waterfall to another pool.

The wife and I have hiked out there and camped overnight. Really nice people. Make reservations in advance; even for a day trip on a bike. They limit the number of people per day.

Info here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Goldmyer-Hot-Springs/49004037430?sk=wall
  15. HH

HH Dahlonega GA

Oddometer:

Wut? :amazon