Beginner tries a RTW on a CRF250L

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Martygarrison, Aug 14, 2018.

1. crashkorolyk

crashkorolyk just happy to ride

Oddometer:
    Like everyone else,thanks for sharing your brilliant R.R. and story,really enjoyed your adventure.
  2. climberevan

climberevan planning the next journey

Oddometer:
    le-git.
  3. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    Great stuff, thank you for posting! :thumb
  4. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    So, considering that this thread has "RTW" in the title, the question needs to be asked: What's next? :evil
  5. Martygarrison

Martygarrison Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a good question. 3 weeks ago when I finished in Vladivostok I would have said never ever, nothing again. Now I'm already jonesing over picking up the bike in Vancouver and riding her to Montana. Wanda's new home will be 8 miles from the start of the Northern end of the Great Divide Route (CDR) which goes all the way to the Mexican boarder on mostly dirt so that seems appealing. Also a buddy wants to do the TAT and finally I'm thinking about heading North and exploring the Yukon and parts of Alaska. All options are open especially since I am retiring next summer. Right now I'll ride back to Northwest Montana, winterize her and dream about the next ride for 9 months.
  6. SteveTheLocal

SteveTheLocal Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kudos to you! I know that feeling well...where you think that you may have bitten off more than you can chew? Great job on with keepin' on gettin' on. It always looks better the next day.
    Thanks for writing it up! (If you find yourself on Vancouver Island, look me up.)
    S.
  7. Vrode

Vrode Testing...1..2...

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a great RR! When you're in it, it's tougher to appreciate. It's later, when some time has passed that you savor it more (and plan your next trip!). Good luck!
  8. IronButt70

IronButt70 You don't have to be crazy to do this but it helps

Oddometer:
    RTW south to north?:clap
    BLucare likes this.
  9. interceptor1972

interceptor1972 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazing ride and report. A huge thanks for taking us along for the ride :)
  10. FireSpaceLigers

FireSpaceLigers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was really great!!! I think the 250 seems like the best bike for everywhere except the american and german highways.

Astounding trip and amazing pictures!
  11. ShiftHead

ShiftHead the f is silent.

Oddometer:
    From never ridden anything to finishing up a hardcore Russian journey. Damn man, impressive.
    BLucare and Dread like this.
  12. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having done a few ride reports i know the effort it takes, very much appreciate the efforts, did you use a journal while traveling.? I once tried to write one as i traveled but was so tired at the end of the day I copuldnt make out my own handwriting.. LOL
  13. Martygarrison

Oddometer:
    I didn't keep a journal. I was too tired at the end of the day to do much but eat and sleep. I did post on my FB page and that helped me keep track of the photos.
    Richarde1605 and jjustj like this.
  14. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!

Bruce
  15. Kayakgk

Kayakgk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your married to a supermodel or a woman who could be a supermodel and you are riding a round the world on a CRL25 just because. I'm in.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  16. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    @Martygarrison Welcome home fellow DC'er, awesome ride and one heck of a way to begin your ADV career for sure! You may be the 1st or one of the few who's piloted a DC-plated bike across Europe to Vladivostok. Looked like you enjoyed your brief time in Warsaw, my wife is originally from Poland so I've spent a lot of time there, great city for sure. Would be my pleasure to buy you a celebratory beer sometime and hear more details, I'll PM ya. DCr
  17. Martygarrison

Oddometer:
    This sounds good DC. I actually flew from DC to Vancouver last night. Need to clear the bike through customs here after shipping it from Vladivostok. Will then either ride it back to Montana or store it here as I need to get back to work.
    RiderRick likes this.
  18. RiderRick

RiderRick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome report, congratulations on your accomplishment and Thank you for sharing!
    Incredulous likes this.
  19. Meriwether

Meriwether Following big footprints.

Oddometer:
    Hi Marty,
    What an inspiring ride and a great report. Congratulations. I love your spirit, you just do it. I hope to follow in your tyre tracks sooner rather than later.
    Regards, Mark
  20. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great report! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Your a brave man, to take off around the world, alone, as a new rider. Havent been to AK yet, but I have done the CDR. You WILL enjoy it! Thanks again.