Behind Bars with my kid… Adventure in the Rockies!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Motopumps, May 29, 2019.

1. Motopumps

Motopumps Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is the second in a (hopefully long) series of "Behind Bars" ride reports. The first was: https://advrider.com/f/threads/thre...-camp-then-motogp-in-austin-and-back.1293540/

Leaving for Boulder Colorado this Friday morning for two weeks of adventuring in the Rockies and Desert Southwest. My oldest moved to Boulder last year. Each summer for the last 5 years, we have taken a long tour in the Blue Ridge and Smokies, but this year I get to do a bucket list ride. :clap

My whole touring career, I have been a "ride there" kind of guy. This trip needs to be different as Dave does not have a bike out in Colorado yet. Knowing this, the MotoPumps MotoHauler was procured and set up this winter.

[​IMG]
    Gestation period was long! Ordered in June of '18, picked up in December as a '19 model.

[​IMG]

As it warmed up a bit, I did some finishing of the inside, sound insulation, headliner, Condor chocks, etc.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is a Ford Transit 250, mid-roof, long wheelbase (148) with the 3.23 posi rear end and the 3.5l twin turbo Ecoboost motor. Leather heated seats and a Pioneer 1400 NEX head unit replacing the base audo. The big bonus there is the double DIN sized display that makes the Ford backup camera actually usable.

[​IMG]
    Black Widow 10' 3 piece folding ramps from Discount Ramps. They work!

Love the way the Transit drives. That motor is awesome. Getting 18.5 mpg at 70+ mph with two bikes on-board. The Toyota Sienna pulling my Aluma trailer with a single bike would get 14.5 mpg. Upgrade!

Shakedown trip to TN a few weeks ago...
    [​IMG]

The bikes for this trip are a '19 Tracer GT and a '15 KTM 1290 Super Adventure.

[​IMG]
    The Tracer has FJR bags fitted for extra capacity, National Cycle VStream Touring screen and a GPS mount of my own design. Otherwise stock and has about 700 miles on the clock -- just did the 600 mile first service.

[​IMG]

The Super Adventure is mostly stock with about 29,000 miles on the clock right now. I just added a set of alloy wheels and Pirelli Angel GT 2 tires to the bike, keeping the spoked wheels set up with knobbies. Did the MABDR last fall with the big girl and decided to have two sets of wheels instead of swapping tires all the time. These wheels are for a KTM 1290 Super Adventure S and are a direct swap.

They say "Getting there is half the fun" and most often, I agree. This time, not so sure! Google Maps says it is about 27 hours drive time to Boulder. If I didn't have to haul a second bike, I would be on two wheels the entire way, but this is a good adventure too.

Subscribe and stay tuned! Heading West!
    Effendi, EMFL, wee-twin and 8 others like this.
  2. tmark1301cc

tmark1301cc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rob, safest of travels to you and your son.
    Motopumps likes this.
  3. Motopumps

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Sir! Looking forward to it.

Got the bikes loaded tonight as it is going to be raining tomorrow and loading them in the wet by myself is hairy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Packing the last of my gear tonight as well so I can have a relaxed evening with my lovely wife before heading out. One more day of work and the adventure begins.
    Effendi, Briar Rose and tmark1301cc like this.
  4. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    This’ll be good. In. Anxious for more.
    Motopumps likes this.
  5. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Give a holler when you're here (CO) if you have some spare time or need recommendations/help...If we're around we'd love to meet up. Safe travels! :beer
    Motopumps likes this.
  6. Motopumps

Oddometer:
    Excellent! Thank you!
    Rob
    Project Mayhem likes this.
  7. Briar Rose

Briar Rose Fan of Mark_O!

Oddometer:

Your lovely wife loves you so much and misses you already! Can't wait to take our own trip!!
    Mark_O and Motopumps like this.
  8. Motopumps

Oddometer:
    Lovely weather for the first travel day today.

[​IMG]

Rest stop in Western NY about 3 hours from home.

[​IMG]

Stop for fuel in a Sheetz in Ohio. They have Tesla charging stations, and there was even a Tesla tanking up when I came back out. I was able to fill up faster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Traffic was pretty heavy from west of Cleveland to the Chicagoland area. Eased up after that and became very reasonable after crossing the Mississippi.

The Van took a selfie when passing a tanker.
    [​IMG]

Now in Des Moines, I oh Way. 1022 miles for the day, about 700 to go in the morning.
    [​IMG]

Pretty consistent headwind all day. Got about 17.2 mpg so far. Hope to make up for that on the way home.
    Effendi, tmark1301cc and Briar Rose like this.
  9. Motopumps

Oddometer:
    Day two started out with a quick breakfast, fueling and back on I80 West. It was bright and sunny in my mirrors and dark out the windshield.

Lots of wind turbines in Iowa.
    [​IMG]

Things got bright again for a bit near Kearney and I saw this at a rest stop.

[​IMG]

No idea what it is. Onward!

Nebraska!

[​IMG]

The Road was pretty rough right here with all the expansion joints. Traffic was light.

Started to get dark again...

Then out the other side and back into plain old Nebraska wind.
    [​IMG]

The Great Plains are stark and beautiful.

Sun came out as I crossed into Colorado.
    [​IMG]

Then wait 20 minutes for a big thunderstorm over Denver. Watched a jet fly right into the dark clouds and lightning landing at Denver airport. That must have been a ride...

Then down toward the Boulder bowl...

[​IMG]

Checked into the hotel in Boulder and my son David magically appeared!

[​IMG]

Headed out to check out his apartment, meet the roommate, new kitten Louis and walk around on Pearl Street to find some food.
    Effendi, EMFL, DC950 and 3 others like this.
  10. Mark_O

Mark_O Drain Bamaged Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    TM1(SS), Briar Rose and Motopumps like this.
  11. Motopumps

Oddometer:
    Walking a few blocks to Pearl Street in Boulder was like being back in Ithaca or Austin.

[​IMG]

Lots of bumper stickers, arts and crafts people, street performers, cool shops, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dogs everywhere, enjoying cafes and microbreweries....

Street Performers everywhere

We walked around for a bit, saw David's office and then headed for Post for Hot Chicken and Cold Beer.
    Starting with a green veggie...
    Deep fried Brussels sprouts
    [​IMG]

Then moved on to the Nashville style HOT chicken.
    [​IMG]

Sorry, could't wait for the photo...

Bellies full, we headed for the hills. This is a minute or two from Pearl Street:
    [​IMG]
    The Flat Irons.

Headed up Flagstaff Rd to an overlook. Amazing views.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was about 6300 feet.

Climbed about another 1000 or so to here:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

No Selfi Deaths! That is the rule for this trip. See mom, not too close to the edge. We will save that for two wheels...

Lovely evening drive back to the hotel. Looked at maps, starting to plan activities for Sunday and Monday. Stay tuned!
  12. Motopumps

Oddometer:
    Dude! How are you doing? How was your BDR adventure?
  13. Mark_O

Mark_O Drain Bamaged Supporter

Oddometer:
    A story best told in person.
    Briar Rose likes this.
  14. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the area I’ve called home for 24 years. :beer
    Motopumps likes this.
  15. Motopumps

Oddometer:
    Lets work that out when I get back.
    Rob
    Briar Rose likes this.
  16. Motopumps

Oddometer:
    Beautiful spot! I see why you love it.
    Rob
    Briar Rose and Project Mayhem like this.
  17. Motopumps

Oddometer:
    Sunday was another lovely weather day, overall. We had breakfast at Snooze. Highly recommend it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two eggs over easy, corned beef hash, wheat toast and chorizo. They had local apricot jam for the toast. Quite good! We were powering up for a hike later in the morning to see if Dave could kill his old man.

First we drove up into the mountains to see Boulder Falls.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty, but not all that impressive. In Ithaca we have a dozen water falls bigger than this.

[​IMG]

Honestly, it looked more like an outlet for a damn or power station. Just sayin' Underwhelmed. :amazon

[​IMG]

Then Dave tried to kill me on a hike. Didn't work, I survived.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Definitely feeling the altitude, but no issues. Amazing scenery and lots of folks out on the trails with their families, SO's and dogs. Lots of fun to see.

After hiking back down and not dying, we grabbed some coffee and hung out, planning our week and catching up. Beleza is a cool place, well run, nice staff, excellent coffee.

For dinner, we were looking for something lighter, so we ate at Chez Thuy, a Vietnamese restaurant with an extensive menu, great food and nice staff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hung out a bit more after dinner then Dave took me back to the hotel. Time to get ready for our departure from Boulder the next morning.
  18. KuhlKLR

KuhlKLR ColoDuc

Oddometer:
    Rob, as I'm reading your post, I realize I've dealt with you a couple of times on your great air pump. Welcome to Colorado!
    Readers, if you don't own one of his portable air pumps, do your research and get one now ! He stands behind them 1000 percent.
    Now, back to your regular program.......
    Motopumps and Briar Rose like this.
  19. Motopumps

Oddometer:
    Thank you Sir! Loving it so far! Amazing country.
    Rob
  20. Motopumps

Oddometer:
    Ok, departure day! Woke up early, but normal time for an East Coaster. My body and brain is still in the wrong time zone.

Came out to see this parked near my van.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks like the Gen 1 Multi had a bad day. Not too much damage, but no shifter, so it got a ride home. Good reminder to not ride at 10/10ths.

Headed over to Dave's apartment to decant the van and load our gear onto the bikes.
    Speaking of the van, 1716 miles in 25 hours and 25 minutes to Boulder from Ithaca.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fuel mileage on the last tank as I got to higher altitude.
    [​IMG]

Loading up the bikes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Absolutely beautiful morning (as each one has been so far). Perfect temps, sunshine. Nice!

Head out of town and into the mountains. Awesome ride up flagstaff!

First stop Red Rocks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty cool venue. Headed out of there to check out Performance Cycle of Colorado in Centennial.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Amazing selection of premium gear. Dave got his Klim gear there before the trip. I got a pair of Held Air n Dry waterproof gloves that are summer weight. I love Held gloves and have two pairs of Steves that are my primary touring gloves.

After all that hard shopping, we needed food, so on down the road to Poke Concepts.

[​IMG]

Delicious Poke bowl!

Onward to Pikes Peak. The weather forecast at the summit looks good today. Lets go!