Behind Bars with my kid… Adventure in the Rockies!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Motopumps, May 29, 2019.

1. Motopumps

Motopumps Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We decided to spend another day in Moab, hanging out, relaxing and enjoying the high desert weather. View a few blocks south of our hotel.
    [​IMG]
    At the end of the day, we decided to take another evening ride/hike in Arches National Park. This time we planned to head to the end of the park road and hike out to Landscape Arch.

It was hot in the sun, cool in the shade, about 10% humidity with a nice breeze. The only negative is that right now there are insects in the park. First time we have been annoyed by buzzing insects.

Pretty trail in to Landscape Arch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lovely views on the way out. The light was great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sun going down...
    [​IMG]
    Sneaking up on the arch. Shhhhhh!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Amazing structure. You can see where pieces have fallen off. For a while, we were the only ones out there. Lovely, quiet, wind...
    [​IMG]

Headed back down the trail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back on the bikes and over to Delicate Arch.

Parked the bikes and started the hike up.

[​IMG]

Long hike with lots of elevation. I didn't take many pix on the way up as we were racing the sunset and fading light.

Long climb with some narrow ledges on the side of a huge rock formation.
    [​IMG]

You work your way around the ledge and finally you can see the arch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That sage green color in the background is beautiful, rich and velvety in person.

We took it all in for a bit then started the long hike back. It was getting dark and I didn't want to do this hike in full darkness. There is a bit of a moon, but still hard to see some of the detail of the rock trail on the way back down.

[​IMG]

We had another lovely ride back to the hotel in the dark. Amazing night!

Headed for Boulder now. Dave needs to get back for two promotion opportunities that have cropped up since we left. It is good to watch all three of my children make their way in the world now. Very proud of all of them!
    wee-twin, tmark1301cc, Ol Man and 6 others like this.
  2. Motopumps

Oddometer:
    We had a leisurely morning in Moab, enjoyed the hotel breakfast with unlimited bacon! We packed up, mounted up and headed North and East. North out of Moab to 70, then 70 East to Denver. Lots of miles, but beautiful scenery. We stopped in Avon for lunch and wrestled with a round-about crazy ski town. Kind of hard to navigate at times!

[​IMG]

We spent a fair amount of time above 10,000 feet of altitude and were chilly at times. Temps rose as we got back down below 7,000 feet and were downright warm when we arrived back in Boulder.

The lock on my right side bag stopped functioning. Of course it is in the locked position and that is where all the tools, chain lube, ear plugs, etc. are. Not a big deal other than I can't get the bag off to load the bike. Grrrrr.

When we got to boulder, Dave got out his apartment tool kit (mine was locked in the bag) and started seeing if we could disassemble the mount. Nope. I have seen these bags come off in a crash, so lets see what an angry kick from a frustrated rider will do. Hold my beer (bike) and watch this! I pretended I was a cop kicking in a door and kicked the front, top corner of the bag toward the back of the bike. Bingo! Bag off. Still locked, but off. No damage to the mount or the bag. Lock still does not work, just spins freely. Wonder if the retaining nut on the end went missing... Well, will figure that out at home.

Loaded up the KTM and the Tracer GT and organized our gear.

Dave and I hopped in the van to get some food. Five on Black! http://www.fiveonblack.com/ Good stuff and fairly healthy.

This is Blue. he is Aussie Blue Heeler and Dingo.
    [​IMG]
    He is a prison inmate trained rescue dog. A lovely guy! We hung with him while his human ordered a Brazilian Bowl at Five on Black.

Thoroughly enjoyed dinner and the company, eating outside and then headed back to say our goodbyes so I could head to the hotel room to check in and prepare for my drive the next morning.
  3. TM1(SS)

TM1(SS) Matthew 24:36, Ride today, ride now :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for taking us along with y'all !!
    Motopumps likes this.
  4. Motopumps

Oddometer:
    Thursday morning I woke up and was loaded and rolling by 6:30am Boulder time. Wanted to beat the commute into Denver, as the traffic is a bit insane there.

Cleared Denver with only minor traffic right as I got on 76. Another lovely weather morning. Eastbound!
    [​IMG]

I am not used to thinking of Colorado as looking like Nebraska.

A little closer to Nebraska, but still Colorado

[​IMG]

The Great Plains are beautiful, but I kind of like trees... Maybe more trees would cut down on the wind!

[​IMG]

Rainbow in Iowa. Taking entertainment where I can find it at this point...

Crossed the Mississippi. That is always a great milestone.

It started to get dark and rain as I neared the Chicagoland area and I was feeling good, so I was not motivated to stop and find a room. Keep driving and keep monitoring my condition and awareness.

Pretty soon it was late enough that it felt like a waste to get a hotel room. Also advancing the clock as time zones changed. Pretty soon it was 3am and I was still feeling fine.

Started to get light in Ohio. The rain was letting up and I was doing fine. Cleared Cleveland before rush hour. Less than 6 hours from home. PA border, then NY. Still 3.5 hours from home, but nice to be gaining on it. More rain off and on, and it was kind of cold, in the lower 50s. Quite a contrast to the blue skies and 80-90 degree temps in the desert southwest.

Pulled into my driveway a bit after 10:30. The greeting committee.
    [​IMG]

Charley is all kisses and Bodhi wanted to show me his frisbee.

The drive was a bit of a blur, totaling about 26 driving hours from Boulder, plus the two hours lost to time zones. Not bad. I really felt fine. The seats in the Transit are great and the effort to drive the thing is minimal. Great vehicle.

My friend Greg stopped by to help with the unloading. Thank you!

Very nice to be home. My lovely wife arrived a few hours later, which gave me time to clean up, shower, wash the bikes and collect my thoughts. That was even better than the kisses from Charley. :wings

Will write a trip epilogue in a few days when I have had more time to digest the experience.
    wee-twin, dano619, Ks-Rydr and 3 others like this.