Bella Coola road reports?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Englishmatt, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Headed on my summer trip and will catch the ferry from Port Hardy to Bella Coola on July 16th.

Question - Any new updates on Hwy 20/Freedom Rd riding from Bella Coola to Williams Lake?

Looking forward to hitting the hill on my new R1250 GSA on my way to Hyder, AK.

Thanks,

Matt.
  2. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

You'll be 2 weeks ahead of me travelling this route. i'm watching it constantly, mainly for fire/smoke closure possibilities. Which I think is the main worry along this route during the summer.
    Englishmatt likes this.
  3. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    I plan on running this road both ways this Canada Day long weekend. I’ll update when I get back.
    Englishmatt and Steve G. like this.
  4. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pal. I’ll also update the thread after I ride it on July 17th.
    Steve G. and rob1313 like this.
  5. shuswap1

shuswap1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Steve G. likes this.
  6. Rande Huseby

Rande Huseby n00b

Oddometer:
    I was out that way last summer. Doubt there has been much change since then. The hill is usually in good shape so no worries unless maybe very heavy rain. One hazard though is fresh cow flops on the road. Watch for them in open range areas. You might as well hit a patch of grease cause they are that slippery.
    rob1313 likes this.
  7. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    What’s the Bear activity on the road? Anything to be concerned about?
    Steve G. likes this.
  8. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    The bears don’t want anything to do with you. Be more concerned with the deer strike hazards of an area like that.
    Steve G. likes this.
  9. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I’ve been to AK and BC a few times and not had issues or been concerned with bears at all (one of the reasons I go is to see them)... that said, seems to be a few local news stations to Bella Coola alerting folks to a potential Grizzly issue whereby a booming Bear population is having conflicts in town.

Reports are end of 2018... so pretty recent.
  10. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    That is a town that has learned to live with the Grizzly bears though trying at times, kinda like Churchill is with the polar bears.. When you have major spawning rivers flowing through residential areas the bears will come, sometimes the fish are late and the bears turn to other food sources associated with humans.. I believe Bella Coola has some kind of bear squad for the residents to call when a bear emergency arises...

We have them on Vancouver Island as well, I just watched a video posted from this afternoon of a Grizzly encounter 50 KM north of here, close to Sayward..
    Englishmatt likes this.
  11. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m excited to visit Bella Coola. It looks like a real diamond, not to mention the ride up Vancouver Island and the nice day off ferry ride from Port Hardy to Bella Coola.

Ready to get on the road!
    Steve G. likes this.
  12. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    I dont think it's change but there one 1 gas station between port hardy and Campbell river Mid island co op . So Top up and take a fuel bottle or 2 with you just in case.
  13. 2wheellifer

2wheellifer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fuel stations at Sayward and Woss and Port McNeill. Less than 100 kms between them.
    Steve G. likes this.
  14. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Port McNeil sure has gasoline and so does Sayward.All well within the fuel range of a GSA the Island. But NO non-Ethanol Premium on Hwy20 as of 2 yrs ago or even Premium although the guy in Bella Coola told me that their regular tanks were recently filled with premium as the tanker was out of regular by the time it got there I always take such claims with a whole shaker of salt.....!

So? Williams Lake for Chevron 94 and then 400km until the next one in Port Hardy.

The Hill? First time I went down, there were big freshly falled rocks on the road. Quite a few of them. And at the very bottom of the hill,a sow grizzly and two rather large cubs. I stopped 50' from them and tried for a pic but they just ambled away.....they never even looked at me.

Hyder? I was there last year. And a couple years before.....and....been there a few times. No Premium in Stewart but some at Meziadin Junction.
    BCBackRoads and Steve G. like this.
  15. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    Hello, Just finished a fathers day ride with my son to Bella Coola. The road condition is excellent, 129 KM of dirt is the best riding I've done yet.
    Have fun!
    Rick
    Steve G. and Englishmatt like this.
  16. Steve G.

Oddometer:
    Ethanol free 91 Shell in Campbell River, ethanol free 91 Esso in Port Hardy, Ethanol free 94 Chevron in Williams Lake. My goal of ethanol avoidance will be defeated from Bella Coola to Williams Lake.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=BC
    Englishmatt likes this.
  17. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    2 chevrons here with 94.. To be honest, I just run whatever is available, especially in the out of way places... My bike requirement is supposed to be 91+ unless you switch the ignition mapping, which I used to do, but no longer bother without effect... As a mechanic the ethanol related problems we see comes from the fuel being allowed to sit too long.. If you are doing the gasngo constantly burning it fresh from the pump not so much an issue..
  18. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Steve G. likes this.
  19. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    I’m in Bella Coola now. The gravel portion of the road in is in decent shape. Sections of potholes, but nothing a decent rider can’t pick a line through. Some fallen rock, but nothing soul crushing, just oil pan splitting if you aren’t paying attention. Honestly you’d have to be really asleep not to see them. I rode most of the gravel (save the hill) at about 80-85 kph
  20. Steve G.

Oddometer:

Thanks Rob. At this point, ièm only concerned about possible smoke and fire blockage of road.