Bella Coola road reports?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Englishmatt, Jun 19, 2019.

1. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    There had been a significant amount of rain in this area lately, and sadly a large number of the trees along the route are already burned. I think you’ll have more to concern yourself with avoiding cow crap than fires.
    GISdood and Steve G. like this.
  2. BorderJeff

BorderJeff n00b

Oddometer:
    Headed out from Bisbee, AZ (Border town with MX), on 7/20. Sail with CRF1000L from Port Hardy to Bella Coola 7/25 or 26. Was looking to change to a 50/50 tire along the way, given the nature of the stock 90/10s...but after watching the videos of, "the hill," may just run with more 90/10s. Route back likely through Banff/Jasper and Colorado. The Africa Twin will handle 250 miles pretty easily. Not too worried about fuel. Maybe running out of film!! ;-)
  3. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would not worry about tires on the road from Bella Coola to Williams Lake, you can do that easily on a Goldwing.
    Steve G. likes this.
  4. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What about a bald front Tourance??
    Yeah, I e got a new one going on next week.

Honestly, I’m more worried now about the rains, than the forest fires. Heard the Chillcotin had a ‘once in 200 year’ rain storm last week, overflowing some major rivers.
  5. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to hitting it on 7/17 with my K60’s.

Currently 3,500 miles in to my summer tour.
    LRG_DSC00486.jpg
    LRG_DSC00467.jpg
    LRG_DSC00504.jpg
    LRG_DSC00053.jpg
    noshoes, Steve G. and rob1313 like this.
  6. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Yes, there has been a lot of damage done to the back country arteries... The Nemiah Valley is completely cut off as the 3 routes in are washed out and I am sure that many other roads are in a mess at the moment... Our plan was to head into that country mid August, but now will have to see how much gets repaired between now and then... We were in there a few years back after a rain event and in spots the whole road surface gets soft and starts to flow downhill. Then you get flash floods that start up in the hills and flow mud down onto the roads, when the mud dries it turns into deep siltbeds..
    Steve G. likes this.
  7. Steve G.

Oddometer:

yeah, watched a video of the event, looks crazy!
  8. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    It has been weird weather in that country in the last few years, they are usually very dry being in the rain shadow of the coast mountains, but lately at times they are getting more rain than what is falling on the coast.. Last year we came though early August and while everyone else was burning from forest fires, some of the Chilco/ Cariboo roads had washed out and the fields were under water... We had to stop and wait in Clinton for the hwy to open after a washout just North of Lilloeet..
    Steve G. likes this.
  9. Steve G.

Oddometer:
    Eyes wide open for me early August!!
  10. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    So that’s a NO to a bald front tourance? Lol
    Steve G. likes this.
  11. Steve G.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think so,,,,,,,,
    Englishmatt likes this.
  12. murphybob

murphybob n00b

Oddometer:
    if you are hanging out in Prince George for any length of time we have space available and should be home,
    GISdood and Englishmatt like this.
  13. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I would not worry if you are sticking to the main hwy from Bella Coola to Williams lake, that is almost always in good shape... The places suffering from the floods are between the highway and the Coast Mountains to the west... The roads through that country are dirt roads and they really take a beating if there is any kind of sustained rain..

The main hwy and "the hill" out of the Bella Coola valley while being very scenic and a fun ride really does not present much challenge, I see cruiser bikes ride it..
    Englishmatt, rob1313 and Steve G. like this.
  14. Steve G.

Oddometer:
    Just got back from the big circle, and yrs, Heckman Pass from Bella Coola/Hagensborg to Anahim Lake was super easy. Even on the 600ib lump I was on. Honestly, the Grizzly problem was more of an issue in the valley. Long lost family
    Member who hosted me for two evenings showed me her 4 apple trees, that 2 male grizzlies absolutely destroyed to get the apples, the right before I arrived. Pictures on her cell phone proved they were indeed big male silver backs! Sitting in the back porch sipping beer, with a “grizzly eliminator” leaning up against the railing was a new one on me. Bear mace and a 12” flirting knife in my tank bag would have been pitifully useless had the one I saw 1/2 way up
    The hill been so inclined. The 6 black bears ran away when they saw me.
  15. BorderJeff

BorderJeff n00b

Oddometer:
    Returned Saturday, 8/10 from the Bisbee, AZ to BC tour. I didn't stick to the planned route very much. I did leave SE Arizona and camped one night in a rainy and flash-flooded Joshua Tree, NP, then spent the next night at June Lake just south of Yosemite. Henley Hill just south of Susanville, CA. And then to the Metolius River near Bend, OR. Crossing the Columbia River, (a real majestic scene), I camped at Paradise Creek. After that I camped in Olympic NP in Port Angeles, WA and spent five days there with friends before hopping the ferry to Victoria, Vancouver Island. From Nanaimo, I ferried to Vancouver city and rode north to Squamish. I found free camping there on Mamquat Forest Road just as you enter Squamish. The route from there to Lilooet, BC was incredible. Traveling the 99 along Duffey Lake just brought scene after scene of mountains and valleys and streams I'm just not getting in AZ. If I figure out how to post some pics, I will. The ride back home was fairly direct but for a side trip through the Cascades on Hwy 20 in WA. That's worth a revisit. Thanks for the help from the inmates!

OlympicNFMtnsTwin1.JPG
    shuswap1 and Argus16 like this.