Bella Coola this summer?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by spuh, Jul 28, 2020.

1. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for asking. No I’m not a BC resident - live in Ontario and I ride a VStrom 650. I’d say my range is usually anywhere between 350-400km, but I have hit 500km on one tank when I was riding it at 100km/hr in top gear for a full tank. Earlier in this thread I see there are some gas stops along Hwy20, which would have been enough for my bike.

I was actually just speaking with my wife about this and I’ll visit the coast next year when it’s safer for the smaller communities. That way we can both ride to Prince Rupert and do the ferry to Bella Coola. The purpose of my trip this year is to visit my sister in Vancouver and an old friend near Prince George.
  2. AdvDna

AdvDna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We're heading out on Sept 22nd north through the Gang ranch and then west on HWY20. We are on the Sept 25th overnight ferry to Port Hardy from Bella Coola.

I spoke with Jessica at the indigenous band office and she told me that the road "blockade" is not a "blockade" and is just a checkpoint. The checkpoint is not to block people coming through but to check in and establish your reason for coming and to obtain information for contact tracing.

If your on the ferry then its no problem!

She asked me if we were going to stay a few days as there buisnesses are struggling and would appreciate our patronage. I was surprised at this!

We are Albertans and this was not a problem dispite what is displayed on the Bella Coola website.
    Fishenough likes this.
  3. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Three of us just got back from a four day trip to Bella Coola from the lower mainland we left Sat September 5th and got home tonight the 8th. I was riding the Africa Twin my Dad was on a 2012 CBF1000 and Mario was on a KLR. The original plan before Covid was ferry to the island ride to Port Hardy ferry to Bella Coola ride to Williams Lake then home since Covid we decided the ferry was too much of a PITA, maybe next year.

Saturday we took our time, Hwy 7 to Hope for breakfast then up the canyon to Williams Lake for the first night at the Ramada Inn. The restaurant at the Ramada was closed luckily the pub right next door was open for dinner, the hotel continental breakfast was a brown bag to go.

Sunday was Hwy 20 to Bella Coola fuel was a concern since we did not have the range to make it all the way without a fuel stop, Redstone has a newer Petro Can with card readers on the pumps and it’s close to the half way point. Just past Nimpo Lake the road turns to gravel for 60km and turns back to pavement right at the bottom of “The Hill” the gravel section is in good condition but has some marble covered sections that need caution for our trip it was dry and had been for a few days before, I would imagine it would get greasy after some rain. In Bella Coola we stayed at the Bella Coola Mountain Lodge, there were only two restaurants open Freddys and a pub at the Valley Inn we ate at Freddys. We decided to fuel up that evening before it got too late the gas station in town was closed Sat and Sun, we found Tallios Gas Bar was open it’s just off the highway closer to Hagensborg. We never saw a road block or any sign of there ever being a road block anywhere along Highway 20 when we checked in at the lodge no one asked for ID to prove we were BC residents, no problems with restaurants, gas stations or grocery stores other than the usual social distancing stuff.

Monday we headed back to Williams Lake with a stop at Redstone again for fuel then South for the third night at Caribou Log Guest House in Lac La Hache.

Tuesday was back home down the 97 to Cache Creek then a detour down the 99 to Lillooet then 12 to Lytton then Hope then the boring bit from Hope back home.

Any questions just ask, I’ll post more pics later as they were coming out sideways on my iPad.

36D89745-CF7B-41AC-BE48-5729D4107A02.jpeg
    Holaday, Calibre and AdvDna like this.
  4. AdvDna

AdvDna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your experience and info on gas . Glad you
    Had a positive one!
  5. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few more pics:

Gas station in Williams Lake typical KLR stop fill the oil and check the gas :lol3

IMG_0752 Resize.jpg

Somewhere around Anahim Lake.

IMG_0754 Resize.jpg

Pic taken from the harbour.

IMG_0758 Resize.jpg

Bella Coola Mountain Lodge.

IMG_0760 Resize.jpg
    AdvDna likes this.
  6. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pit stop at the bottom of the hill.

IMG_0764 Resize.jpg

The hill about half way up.

IMG_0767 Resize.jpg

Rest stop on the way back to Williams Lake.

IMG_0770 Resize.jpg

Morning lake fog over Lac La Hache.

IMG_0795 Resize.jpg
    Calibre and AdvDna like this.
  7. AdvDna

AdvDna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We have a ticket booked on the Ferry for Sept 25th from Bella Coola to Port Hardy.

I spoke with Jessica at the Band office and explained we are residents of Alberta.
    She explained to me the blockade is actually a checkpoint to monitor visitors to the area. She had no problem with us passing through to the ferry and actually was encouraging me to stay for a while and support the local hurting businesses.
    Were planning on travelling straight though with only stops for gas along HWY 20, and maybe a camp night somewhere along the way depending on how navigating the Gang Ranch plays out.

I think as out of province guests to the area you cannot book or stay at the hotels etc but if your travelling through your fine....I think!

Will find out in just over a week!

I will call the Band office again and try to get something in writing from them!