Bellingham to Brazil, not coming back

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by PorLaTierra, Mar 4, 2012.

1. PorLaTierra

PorLaTierra Por La Tierra

Oddometer:
    Leaving Cazorla I had to drive right through it and it was a bit of a roller coaster, most of the streets being one way at a time, controlled by traffic lights, because they are way too skinny for two cars. They even have signs showing the width of the road in addition to the height, so if your vehicle is too tall or wide you will know not to take that route.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I climbed quickly up.

[​IMG]

Olive trees
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lunch by a lake, and a little hour by hour route planning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Castilla la mancha has some real gems, but it also has a lot of this:
    [​IMG]

I pass through many sights marked as part of the historical route of Don Quixote de la Mancha.

[​IMG]

Just like the man of la mancha, I am trotting across this famous region of castles and fairy tales, atop my noble steed...
  2. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey! Great to see you back here. This report continues your fine tradition of excellence both in the photos and the writing. I'm really getting a feeling for what it's like to ride in a southern Spain summer. Sounds like there have been some life changes for you....hope they are for the best. Looking forward to the next installment!
  3. DogDivine

DogDivine n00b

Oddometer:
    Welcome back :clap

I enjoy your photos and chronics.

Good ride in Spain, after try Portugal too :D

Regardds
  4. Eagletalon

Eagletalon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice little update. Thanks for sharing. Any pics of your USA travels?

Later
    John
  5. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just re-reading your last update--great, as usual! Hope some more are coming now that riding season is sort of drawing to a close....
  6. PorLaTierra

Oddometer:
    I hope a few of you are still subscribed because I am still riding! I still haven't made it to Brazil, and I'm still not coming back (to Bellingham)

What can I say my faithfull followers except SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN......Is there a better country to ride a motorcycle?? The roads are fantastic, they are smooth, dry, twisty, and the speed limits are "flexible" I have yet to be stopped and I ride like a maniac. And there are so many more curves compared to US roads. I swear the country is criss crossed by roads, everything from ancient roman roads that have been paved, to modern freeways...

To respond to Eagletalon, Yes! there are a few pics of me this summer in the US. for now, go here, I make an appearance in picture 18 sitting on my dads 1971 Slash 5!

http://bmwmoa.org/TheRally/ArtMID/3178/ArticleID/284/2013-INTL-RALLY-GALLERY-.aspx

Here are a few photos to continue the last post, im late I know, excuse me for riding so much and posting so little but I'm obsessed, what can I say? And plus, I found a cool job, but more on that in a minute, lets catch up.

I continued North through Las Lagunas de Ruidera which is a series of lakes and waterfalls full of Madrileños (Madrid people) escaping the summer heat. I had a little fall on a curve leading into the park, bike slipped out from under me. I guess the little thing has its limits. I slid, the bike slid, impact absorbed by the Givi bags. I got right up thanks to my good gear and took a short break, then road off again after checking the bike. Givi bags are incredibly sturdy! I was also carrying way too much and I think that was why I fell.

I went through Madrid and continued on to Segovia to see the ancient aqueduct. I also learned that an aqueduct is for carrying water while a viaduct is for carrying cars. The thing is VERY impressive,

[​IMG]

Its incredibly old too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wandered around the city of course and found all kinds of interesting architecture.

[​IMG]

And of course a church.

[​IMG]

At this point I decided to turn back to Madrid, the long way of course, through the mountain passes to see all the closed for the season ski areas. My girlfriend had rented a room in an apartment in the center of Madrid while she took a summer course she was interested in. I had been searching high and low for something cool to do with myself and although I didn't have anything permanent I decided to try my luck in Madrid. So I crashed for a few weeks and took some low budget day trips, while exploring my options.

Meanwhile, I think I fell in love with Madrid. Why hadn't I been informed? This is the coolest city on the planet.

Its majestic, modern, but with a rustic touch...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The twisted streets of "lavapies"

[​IMG]

You could spend a lifetime just exploring the markets, like this one, housed in the old railway museum.

[​IMG]
  7. PorLaTierra

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Where was I, oh right, markets.

[​IMG]

Madrid as a tourist is so-so, the layout of the city inevitably leads you to the Puerta sol or gran vía. two place I know aviod (because of the tourists) the city has so many hidden corners I will never be bored. Not to mention its about 45 min. from some great mountains, full of awesome roads.

Below, the Malasaña neighborhood.

[​IMG]

and another market.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riding a bike in Madrid is great. You can weave through traffic and in general, the city is very motorcycle friendly. The city council has stated that motorcycles are the solution to traffic problems, and they have been quoted saying "every motorcycle is one less car."

Which brings me to...my new ride. I know what you are going to say, I did this in all the wrong order. I had the F650 in Central and South America and then in Europe, the SR250, which would have been a fine S. America bike. Well I have come full circle, saved up some €€€€'s and now I have a bright red 1998 BMW F650 to get me around Spain. Its got 24,000km and I just picked up some Touratech cases for longer trips. The VR is failing on me but I know how to fix that!

[​IMG]

Heres my bike in the mountains outside of Madrid (for reference the navafría pass)

[​IMG]
  8. PorLaTierra

Oddometer:
    Oh I forgot, Heres a few shots I took a while back of the Pyrenees. I HIGHLY recommend getting yourselves to the Pyrenees and the "green spain" the northern part. Actually all of it is good. A loop around the whole country would be very good for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Ben Carufel

Ben Carufel Boxer Addict

Oddometer:
    So what's this about a job and meaningful income?!? Curious minds want to know.
  10. Blue Icebreaker

Blue Icebreaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Thank you so much for the update.

Make sure to see Toledo, if you haven't already, it's gorgeous!
  11. McKay

McKay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok its been 5 months since the last update!
  12. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    McKay, so glad you brought this one back to the top o the heap! One of my favorite reports! I too hope he continues posting to it! Thanks!
  13. McKay

McKay Long timer

Oddometer:
    6 months.....
  14. junkyardroad

junkyardroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I liked this one too, he hasn't logged on since early January.
  15. PorLaTierra

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys! I'm working on an update right now! I've been travelling and I've got hundreds of juicy fotos for you! As always, thanks for reading and thanks for checking in.

-Ryan
  16. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is GREAT NEWS!! Your ride reports are surely some of the most interesting and beautifully-photographed ones here! Eagerly awaiting the next chapter!
  17. McKay

McKay Long timer

Oddometer:

:clap
  18. ElReyDelSofa

ElReyDelSofa Desubicado

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear that, really enjoy your views of España.

Suerte,

Martín
  19. E-Bum

E-Bum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Posting so I can easily find this awesome report again. Curious to hear about that new job too.
  20. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The OP has started another report, here, called "Iberian Wanderings":
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=991904

Not sure whether this one will include as much about his personal journey as this one, but I'm hoping that either it will or he'll come back to this report and continue it.

I totally agree about this report: excellent all the way. One of my best buds is from Spain and he was as impressed with some of the "finds" presented here as I was!