Benefits of high-end helmet???

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by smokeeater495, Oct 25, 2010.

1. smokeeater495

smokeeater495 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am currently wearing a Bell full-faced helmet that cost me around $120.00. I get quite a bit of wind noise on the highway. I have never worn or owned a more expensive helmet like an Arai. Do the high-end helmets offer a considerable reduction in wind blast and added comfort?
  2. Ron_Ces

Ron_Ces Aging Hacker

Oddometer:
    Depends on the way it fits. Fit is more important than price.
    Ron
  3. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    They will make your wallet a heck of a lot lighter.
  4. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    Your extra bucks also (generally) buy you:
    Better quality liner (aside from comfort, contributes to longevity by not packing down too much too soon).
    Better quality visor and visor locking mechanism.
    More vents.
    Big brand "appeal".
    Trick paint jobs, so you can fantasise about being Rossi as you pootle to work on your commuter hack.
    Lighter weight (in itself a safety feature)

On the subject of safety. A UK mag found the Takachi TK-30 (mine cost £50) outperformed all helmets tested costing below £150 and the vast majority of £150 helmets. As Ron Ces Says, fit is a very important factor too. An ill-fitting Arai will be meaningless if it comes off, or you pass out whilst wearing it from pressure.

If anyone crops up in this thread saying, "got a $150 head, save the extra $250 of a $400 helmet" my response to them is; "So what made you decide against the extra $300 for a Carbon Fibre BMW Enduro lid?"

EDIT: FWIW, I have a BMW Enduro lid and love it. I wear it instead of the TK-30 because it's comfier, I like the peak (it's the least sail-like I've used) and the visor is better quality. It probably is safer too, but that's not really a consideration: I would consider either to be "safe".
  5. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    Some sensible comments, first, try on several of all price points, different helmets fit, well differently! For example an Aria will fit a narrower more ovoid head better that a Shoei that fits globe shaped goards better. Other considerations include venting which is just as important for cold days (reduce fogging) as warm. Weight is also a consideration, lighter means less neck fatigue, look for your angle of vision, some are horrible and you will find yourself cranking your neck around just to see instead of being able to use peripheral vision. Things like integrated sun visors, beaks (I have a Shoei Hornet and I love the helmet but the beak/visor is only good for a sail), flip up chin bar, and the like are nice, but probably secondary.

Try a bunch on, talk to your friends, search this site and others for insight and buy what you will wear and please do not let price be your deciding factor.
  6. MeanMoe

MeanMoe one really mean cat

Oddometer:
    Arai has 3 different fits: Profile = Long Oval, Vector = Intermediate Oval, Corsair = Round Oval.

The higher end helmets usually get you a removable liner and cheek pads that can be swapped out for ones of varying size. My helmet size is a Medium but the stock cheek pads were too thick. Got a set that were 10mm thinner and all is good.
  7. smokeeater495

smokeeater495 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Price is not a concern. I was just wondering if a Shoei or Arai was a lot quieter as far as wind blast.
  8. Skippii

Skippii Milkshakes, my lad.

Oddometer:
    Yes.

Though the relationship is not linear.

I've tried severl THH and EXL helmets for $60-80. They are loud, cold, fog up, but have protected me very well in some faceplants.

Now I'm using a $130 Scorpion EXO400. For the price, I got an anti-fog shield that fits much more tightly against the shell, giving a quieter ride with much less wind going in my face. For double the price, I get somewhat less than double the quality.

The Shoeis and Arais are even quieter, and fit even better....but they are double the price of the Scorp, and maybe 50% better, not twice as good.

And a $420 helmet is certainly not 7 times as good as a $60 helmet.
  9. router.exe

router.exe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having had both shoei and arai, i can tell you the arai was louder than the shoei. the only reason is the ear pods that hold the visor on resonate wind noise pretty bad. this is a comparison between an x11 and a corsair. the only time i really noticed a lot of noise on the x11 was when i looked up, the vent on the top center of the helmet would how/whistle. i haven't tried the newer corsairs or x12, so i can't comment on those.
  10. JDLuke

JDLuke Ravening for delight

Oddometer:
    A 420 helmet?

[​IMG]
  11. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:

This has been discussed several times before. It will depend on your head, your ears, your body, your other gear, your bike, and the weather.

Hard to say without a test-ride.
  12. deck99

deck99 n00b

Oddometer:
    I just bought the fulmer ADV and love it! It retailed at $139.

deck99
  13. OTB

OTB Oh fer Chrissakes

Oddometer:
    I have had both and I find the Arai to be slightly quieter and you can buy different size cheek pieces to get the best fit. The main reason I use an Arai is that I wear an XL (XXL in Arai) and the shell is much smaller than the Shoei which results in less turbulence. Less turbulence means less fatigue and noise. I had a bike that I fought with windscreen turbulence on for years. I bought the Arai and the turbulence was gone. It wasn't the bike it was the helmet (Shoei). That being said, the new Shoei's are much more aerodynamic, but they are still huge.
  14. macnmore

macnmore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Think of it this way
    If you have a cheap brain , buy a cheap helmet
    Stay with Shoei , Arai , Nolan , etc
  15. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
    :baldy
  16. thumbs

thumbs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a Bell years ago and it was fine if not a bit heavy. I have owned an Arai for about 10 years and the quality is great even if the shield is a pita to change out. I just bought a Shoei. To tell you the truth I run with ear plugs no matter what helmet I wear. Price does not necessarily indicate how safe a helmet is. There are helmets under 100 bucks that are both dot and snell approved. I do think the over all quality and fit and finish of the helmet is where the cost goes up.
    I personaly wait until I can get a deal on a helmet. The local shop just had a half price sale on the Shoei so I picked it up. I have never worn a helmet, although they probably exist, where it was what I would call quiet.
    hth
  17. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    Price generally brings build quality and features into the equation. Build quality and features may mean a $420 helmet lasts its life span of 5 years in heavy use and many thousands of miles of comfortable wear when a $100 helmet may be replaced several times in that 5 years trying to find a balance of comfort and value. The $420 helmet will still cost $120 more but that $120 is long since forgotten over the years. Of course this is not always true but as with oats and helmets you get what you pay for most of the time. If you ride short distances in good weather one can well afford to buy less expensive gear and be just as happy. Or not.

Ear plugs make the most noisy helmet whisper quiet.
  18. Skippii

Skippii Milkshakes, my lad.

Oddometer:
    I replace my helmet every 6 months on average, so saying the price is forgotten over the years is silly....if you have a bad crash twice a year like me.
    Ear plugs should always be worn, IMHO.
  19. freeheel

freeheel It's come to this.

Oddometer:
    Bell used to have an ad campaign that summed it up.

"Got a $10 head? Get a $10 helmet."
  20. bhorocks

bhorocks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i purchased a shoei rf 1000 that isnt any quieter than my old HJC cl-14. Good sony earbuds with some tunes or earplugs are the only thing that going to make that wind blast go away..