Benelli Leoncino

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by John Ashman, Nov 17, 2015.

  1. John Ashman

    John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    3,857
    Location:
    Viejo Mexico
    First interesting bike I've seen from EICMA thus far. 500cc twin Scrambler, what the CB500F should be. [​IMG]
    #1
  2. John Ashman

    John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    3,857
    Location:
    Viejo Mexico
    And its ADV brother -
    [​IMG]
    #2
    bobw likes this.
  3. John Ashman

    John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    3,857
    Location:
    Viejo Mexico
    #3
  4. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I wonder who designed and engineered this bike, Italians or Chinese.......

    -SM
    #4
    diabolik37 likes this.
  5. John Ashman

    John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    3,857
    Location:
    Viejo Mexico
    That's the big question. The Chinese really are big on taking shortcuts and winning on price.
    #5
  6. Scoobynut

    Scoobynut Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2009
    Oddometer:
    933
    Location:
    SW N. Dakota
    This is not always true, and that is too much of a generalization. I'm far from a defender of the Chinese, but from a lot of information I've read about it, the Chinese can do quality if you are willing to pay for it. Most of the crap quality that comes out of China is from the native companies, but foreign producers in China seem to churn out decent to good quality products. But again, it costs more, but is still more affordable than if it were produced in the western country of origin. Hopefully Benelli has opened up their wallet a little bit.

    Funny that little Benelli is producing these 500s, which seem to be what a lot of the inmates are crying out for -- that 'right size' ADV bike...

    EDIT: It appears Benelli is Chinese owned nowadays, but I wonder if the original Italian staff isn't still involved in the design, engineering and manufacturing of these new models. I also didn't realize that there are several articles out there stating that Benelli is supposed to be returning to the U.S. soon.
    #6
  7. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Ummm......the point John and I are making is Benelli was bought by a Chinese company (Qianjiang Group) a few years ago. While they claim the workforce at the Benelli factory in Pesaro, Italy hasn't changed, I doubt the parent company has left them totally alone......

    -SM
    #7
  8. John Ashman

    John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    3,857
    Location:
    Viejo Mexico
    All you have to do is look at brands like CF Moto and others that make very heavy bikes with mediocre parts and prices that are less, but not THAT much less than their competition. I work in audio and know others that work in other areas and the same thing comes up over and over. That the Chinese companies really don't care about quality, it's all "high-end" to them, stuff that barely existed a few years back, that they have a hard time grasping quality control and other aspects of production and design. That if you don't specifically do the design, then oversee the production, you're likely going to get burned. I've been burned quite a bit on products that were Chinese designed and American companies just claimed they designed it and rebadged it. They they fail in mass quantities. I have a near 100% failure rate on some products because of it. And they can't even get parts, you have to send the product back and then it gets shipped back to China.

    They are getting better, obviously, but I try to avoid buying anything that is actually designed in China. I wouldn't have nearly as much issue buying an SWM, which is just a Chinese backed Husky. I sell a lot of products built in China, but designed elsewhere and these are largely fine products that work well.
    #8
    diabolik37 likes this.
  9. Scoobynut

    Scoobynut Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2009
    Oddometer:
    933
    Location:
    SW N. Dakota
    Fair enough, and some of your points about overseeing design and production was what I was basically trying to get across, but apparently ineffectually.
    #9
    John Ashman likes this.
  10. John Ashman

    John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    3,857
    Location:
    Viejo Mexico
    The fact is, they are making exactly what I want with both of these models. If the quality, weight and price is all reasonable and they are available here........
    #10
    highnoonhunter likes this.
  11. Scoobynut

    Scoobynut Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2009
    Oddometer:
    933
    Location:
    SW N. Dakota
    Regarding quality, the handful of riders who buy them in the U.S. will be classic 'beta' testers, as they say...
    #11
  12. TannerLdJ123

    TannerLdJ123 Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2013
    Oddometer:
    522
    47 hp for the TRK 502, according to asphaltandrubber.
    #12
  13. John Ashman

    John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    3,857
    Location:
    Viejo Mexico
    Looking at the weights of the current Benellis, and sadly, they're all pretty heavy. I'd certainly rather have an 800 if it's going to weigh 460lbs unless it's a fantastic bargain. And might as well get a Super Tenere if it's 460lbs dry.
    #13
  14. Mobiker

    Mobiker Long timer Supporter

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2003
    Oddometer:
    6,483
    Location:
    Missouri
    Better pics here:
    http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2015/11/benelli-leoncino-features-new-500cc-parallel-twin/

    [​IMG]

    I like the looks. Italian design with Chinese construction (?), I'm not so sure. I wonder how many US dealers there are.
    My impression of manufacturers that off shore manufacturing to China, is if the parent company has strict QA/QC in the contract and oversees it on site, it can be quite good. If they leave the on site QC to the Chinese it often goes downhill badly.
    #14
    TeepS likes this.
  15. appliance57

    appliance57 Long timer Supporter

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2014
    Oddometer:
    2,943
    Location:
    Boston
    Kind of like anyone riding a first year BMW.
    #15
    WitchCityBallabio likes this.
  16. John Ashman

    John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    3,857
    Location:
    Viejo Mexico
    I think what will make or break this bike, given that it weighs almost as much as the Scrambler 800, will be suspension quality and price. But I'm not entirely hopeful in this regard.
    #16
    TeepS likes this.
  17. mentalfloss

    mentalfloss Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2009
    Oddometer:
    366
    Location:
    Outside Lawrence Kansas
    Their dealer network in the USA makes Moto Guzzi look real good.....:strum
    #17
  18. John Ashman

    John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    3,857
    Location:
    Viejo Mexico
    Interesting point, since the V7 II probably only weighs 10-20lbs more with shaft drive and 200ccs more.
    #18
  19. RedRocket

    RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2003
    Oddometer:
    41,174
    Location:
    SoCal

    Isn't the MG 10 hp less?
    #19
  20. John Ashman

    John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    3,857
    Location:
    Viejo Mexico
    Same horsepower, supposedly, but the V7 would have much better torque. But if the Leoncino is $5000, it will no doubt sell a pile. Much less if it is $6000 or more.
    #20