Benelli TRK 502

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Dualsport Chic, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had a close up look at this bike? Appears to be a mini-GS. I really like the looks of it and am wondering about the ergos. Good looks, fuel capacity, but would like to know more about price, seat height, weight, suspension travel, wheelbase, gear ratios, assessories, etc.

[​IMG]

Chime in!
    Hoak and highnoonhunter like this.
  2. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I wish there was a dealer near me so I could check it out.
  3. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    Since they are owned by motor Group Qianjiang in China, I'm sure that's exactly what they want to hear people say: "appears to be a mini-GS". Same tank shape, same windscreen shape, same open frame design, very similar plastics in the front. Copy what's popular, make it cheap and sell it cheap. You want to know about specs, I'd be much more interested to hear about things like how it's made, where they sourced parts (suspension, engine), etc. Metallurgy and robust, well-tested design aren't strong points in these Chinese copycat bikes...... :gerg

-SM
  4. Dualsport Chic

Oddometer:
    For those of us who are inseam challenged, anything that hits the market that has the potential to 'fit', is an option. Of course quality is important, but if the ergo's aren't there, there's no sense in moving on to the next hurdle of reliability/quality.
  5. Dualsport Chic

Oddometer:
    No sense moving on to the quality issue without first assessing the bike's ergos are a fit. For those of us who are inseam challenged, finding an adventure bike that fits is always the first and biggest hurdle. Those with an > 30" inseam have no idea of what the rest of us in the ADV riding community have to go through just to retro-fit a bike so we can get the balls of our feet on the ground.
  6. FatherX

FatherX out of bubblegum Supporter

Oddometer:
    interesting motor/configuration

7. faded_Glory

faded_Glory Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the style too, but not so sure about the brand. Compare the specs to a CB500X and then, once you are out on the road, ask yourself if you would rather rely on a Chinese Beemer clone than a Honda.
    The Honda's seat height is 810 mm versus the Benelli's 815 mm.
  8. smack doogle

smack doogle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tessier likes this.
  9. Dewtwo

Dewtwo old trail rider!

Oddometer:
    I'm checking out everything I can find about the new crop of lighter Adventure Bikes.
    My 800GS is heavier, bigger than I like when I do gravel and off road.
    And when I'm on road or touring, I avoid interstates, so I don't need big H.P.
  10. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Just got to check out this bike. Looks nice, sounds nice and seems like having some potential. At first look.
    But when I've seen that it is 210kg dry - so about 235kg at minimum kerb weight? It is 40 kg+ heavier than the 500x with the same power specs.
    Thank you probably not.
  11. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    A mini multistrada enduro. The beak is an almost exact copy....
    pennswoodsed likes this.
  12. limeymike

limeymike Who Me?

Oddometer:
    Yu (sic) want a great copy of anything, call Bejing. Damn good at what they do, except quality! But when Benellis were built in Italy that weren't good then either.
  13. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Got to agree on the Italian made Benelli part. I was not impressed by the quality of the Tornado what I rode for a short time a decade ago. Great ideas but poor delivery.

I have to disagree with the Chinese manufacturing quality part of the comment though. Where do you think all those iphones, nests, and other high quality premium gadgets are made?
    We get most of the parts of our very high quality, explosion proof, industry grade stuff custom manufactured in China. With a few years (15) experience on managing outsourced manufacturing our parts come with very-very low defect rate. But quality is ain't no cheap in China either.
    So my point is that China can produce high quality products too - on a matching price (apparently by using external quality assurance standards and methods usually on products designed outside of China).
    However they have learnt that without having a strong brand they have to rely on Little's law (of throughput) and target budget consumers on budget prices to move volumes.

Copying is still a huge issue though. We are usually getting different parts manufactured at different partners and only sending out a test firmware or protocol for the specific part - so an automated test can be ran at the end of the manufacturing line. Final assembly, firmware loading and calibration and overall QA is done on shore and we still have issues with industrial espionage. It is even worst in the automotive industry where practically everything can be copied from the drawing table, manufactured from lower grade materials and sold in a couple tens of thousands of copies on their local market before the rest of the world even realizes.

I could rant long about it - but I guess it will only change when they'll start to have enough local talent so they will drive the innovation instead of copying by cheap labour.
    But hey. We've seen something like this before. I haven't lived then, but word's say industry boom of Japan started pretty much the same way (copying) - and through continuous development and pride in their products they have reached amazing success. They just had no resources while China though arrived late to the table but has a lot bigger resource pool and appetite to start to take over.

/Offtopic off
    I still believe that this bike would have a place under the sun, in case it would not be manufactured by using so precious materials as lead to earn the heaviest bike of the category award . ;-)
  14. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    I will agree that given detailed specs and monitored closely, they can manufacture high quality products (I've spent 20+ years working with them in the tech industry). Where they fail miserably, and why I will never buy a motorcycle or similar product from them, is because of their metallurgy. They will cut corners anywhere and everywhere to save a penny, and the quality of your metal parts is NOT where you want them doing that. We had to specify metal-making formulas, and TEST THEM, to ensure they were making parts to our specs (and they tried many times to cheat). When the metals are produced by them for their exported products with no external oversight, oh man, look out. Fatigue cracking, rusting, you name it, they have it. Sure, they CAN make better metals, because we taught them how to do it right, but for products they ship overseas, they go cheap and buyers pay the price....literally.

For folks who want to buy a cheap Chinese scooter and ride it around town for a few years (if it lasts that long) then toss it because it's falling apart, they may be OK with that. They got their money's worth out of it so they don't mind dropping it off at the scrap yard (and Chinese manufacturers of these products are counting on this because they don't want to deal with warranties, returns, recalls, etc). But for folks traveling to remote places or tooling down the freeway at 70mph, I don't think they want to have bearings disintegrate, frames crack, suspension components bend, or engines grenade. Benelli is now Chinese owned and Chinese manfucatured, so them stating they've kept the Italian design team in place doesn't mean squat. The guys in China are dictating the design and materials, not the Italians. No thank you...... :deal

-SM
  15. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Agreed...
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    highnoonhunter likes this.
  17. Shivanshu

Shivanshu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    01.jpg 02.jpg 05.jpg IMG_4625.jpg Italian and Chinese mix breed I dont know how would they fair. But out here, there are some interesting model they have lined up, and they seem to be doing good. Ofcourse the addition is being Chinese its not that expensive, Check this link : http://www.dskbenelli.com/

The TRK502 was showcased in the Auto Expo 2016 here in India. The bike looks promising and good, but the only negative point is that so far no preictions or media launch of this machine.

I am sharing some pics and the spec sheet of this bike.

Source: http://www.xbhp.com/benelli-unveils...rk-502-to-be-launched-in-second-half-of-2016/
    highnoonhunter and 1stgenfarmboy like this.
  18. Shivanshu

Shivanshu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmmmmmm looks good but ballpark $15,000 is steep for me.

32in saddle, a little tall for me

5,2 gl tank OK

470lb un loaded...still a little heavy

basicly a DL650A with over 20hp less for twice the money.
  20. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    But I think it's got the biggest beak of all of them. Does Beak = Penis size?
    danketchpel and Shivanshu like this.