1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Benelli TRK 502

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Dualsport Chic, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Tzwenni

Tzwenni n00b

Oddometer:
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Looks better in this pic.
    The beak does look too big and out if proportion.

Did they give it a nose job?
    Or did the headlight grow longer on top of the beak, so the beak looks better?

So is this any where in the US?

2018-benelli-trk-502x-abs-specs.jpg
  3. OzCr0w

OzCr0w She'll be right mate!

Oddometer:
    I like the look for sure.
    A small capacity bike doesn't have to mean it can't live large

I had the first version Versys 650 and it was an ugly, alien, one eyed bug.
    But I've never jumped straight on a bike and been so wrong in my prior assumptions, popped the clutch and laughed my arse off for the following 2 years.

I'd like this bike to be just the same and show some of the naysaying spec readers up her skirt on the way through and off into the distance.
    I might just give one a twirl to see for myself
    kiwipeet likes this.
  4. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    Specs say : weight 518lbs...... :yikes too heavy..
    Ridin'nFishin and eakins like this.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    So vaporware in the US.
  6. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
    Dry weight: 213.0 kg (469.6 pounds)

I can see 500lbs+.

But there are a lot of gear that comes standard.

Still, my concern is reliability.
  7. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know a lot of you are bashing it for Chinese quality and Chinese electrics... but the new wave of Chinese Benellis are FAR more reliable than the old ones. The Italian-made Benellis were constantly breaking, burning up, and had many fit and finish issues. Like seriously, making the bikes in China has increased quality control at least an order of magnitude.

Charles.
    scottdc and NJ-Bill like this.
  8. macmotor

macmotor Whiskey Dick

Oddometer:
    Looks like Grand Prix has them listed in Littleton.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Interesting, thanks.
    I'd like to actually see one in person.
  10. OConnor

OConnor Goodbye 2020!

Oddometer:
    But remember, if it's Italian and junk it has "character" if it's Chinese and junk it's just junk.
    tomo8r likes this.
  11. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Well, the Lenoncino is out now, and the trail version is supposed to hit in October sometime. At $6199 that's the price of the CB500F or Honda Rebel. But damn, it looks better than both. And it's the cheapest scrambler you can buy right now. At 500cc, it's a good size for actual scrambling too. I'm going to wait for the Trail, which has the 19" front rim, spoked wheels, and extra ground clearance. But daaaamn the base model looks sexy too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That doesn't look like junk to me. That looks like it needs to be in my garage.

Charles.
  12. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    BTW, I saw that the TRK 502 Adv is coming to the US.
    Wanted to say, it’s quite popular in Chile and Argentina. On my way south to Ushuaia I saw (and rode with) several, including a long very rough part of Ruta 40. They were all doing well (saw a group of six traveling together over a few day period from Salta south).
    I sat on one in a showroom while they went through their parts trying to find front brake pads for me. Fit nicely. Bars were a bit low for me for standing but that’s easily fixed.
  13. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
  14. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    It’s here now, both versions.
  15. H4p

H4p n00b

Oddometer:
    I figured I´d contribute to the pool of information that is available on this bike from the perspective of a novice rider.
    The Trk 502 x is my first bike and I don´t have any other references aside from the bike I did my motorcycle license on (Yamaha Mt-07) and some brief rides on a KTM 640.
    I got this bike early June (last year model) and have ridden it for about 4k km-s, 80% paved roads, 20% gravel and dirt.

* I don´t have anything significant to add that has already been noted in the reviews. It´s good on pavement, nice fuel economy (and range), a bit on the heavier side (esp. when tank is topped off), adjustable suspension that works well.
    * While I haven´t had any major issues with the bike, I do have some nagging points. For city use, it´s quite wide and while I am able to filter some of the traffic, I don´t have the confidence to push through tighter gaps (it also doesn´t help that the bike weighs somewhat). I am sure more experienced riders will be able to, but this comes from the point of view of a novice rider.
    * The center stand, while a convenience, is quite bulky and when agressively cornering, you will scrape the side of the center stand, as well as the footpegs. I shaved off some mm-s from the rubber cushioning in order to increase the lean angle.
    * If you are a taller rider (~190 cm) then the windscreen that comes with the bike isn´t that suited for your height since there is quite alot of buffeting.
    * While it is quite OK on gravel, it doesn´t offer alot of joy to push this bike in dirt and sand. I´m still learning the different techniques of riding but it gets a bit tiring having to pull up the bike from dirt multiple times in an hour (again, nothing new for experienced riders and I can´t fault the bike because it isn´t meant for that sort of riding).
    * At highway speeds (+100 km/h) the bike vibrates somewhat. You can feel the vibrations in the feet (esp when you remove the rubber supports), hands and butt :kat. So far, nothing that streching while riding etc can´t help.
    * While your dealership may differ, the supply of parts, at least in Europe, is quite limited. Some of the plastic details aren´t in stock and have to be ordered from China. As to when will the parts arrive, is to anyone´s guess. Thankfully the parts that my bike needs replacing are purely cosmetical and don´ affect riding.

Mods. I removed the passenger footpegs, since they (the left side) got into the way when I wanted to use the center stand.

Crashes. I have crashed the bike 2 times on pavement and some more in the dirt. The damages were quite minimal, just the plastic details got f-d up and had to order new ones. However what I don´t like is that the crash bars are very fragile. I have damaged both sides in relatively small crashes in sand and mud while going aprox. 10 km/h. Have since repaired via welding the bars back together, will see if this helps with the rigididy or not.

In summary I would say that this is a good bike for a beginner rider to learn the ropes and try out different terrains and styles of riding. I feel that I still have alot to learn and that this bike suits well for the riding I´m currently doing.
  16. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:

So the TRK 502X is out now and at $6299 is priced $300 less than the CB500X. The TRK502 with the 17" front rim is priced at $5999. So... why would anyone get a TRK502 over the Honda? Well for starters... those 50mm USD forks and the spoked rims are something you can't get on the CB500X. But... the construction of the bike aside, look at the accessories you get with the TRK502:

1. Adventure pegs with removable rubber pieces, and underneath is a LARGE grippy metal peg, similar to IMS Supersport pegs.
    2. Brake pedal tip is replaceable.
    3. Folding shifter pedal is a stock item
    4. Rear luggage rack is a stock item
    5. Belly pan is a stock item
    6. Crash bars are a stock item
    7. Hand guards are a stock item
    8. Rear tire-hugging fender is a stock item

How much would all that stuff cost to put on a CB500X? I'm thinking $600-$700 based on Google searches. Plus labor (or your own time) to install everything.

And how much does that stuff weigh? I know a lot of people complain that the TRK502 is too heavy for the engine size, especially when compared to the CB500X.... but you have to consider the weight listed for the CB500X is for a bare-bones bike. The weight listed for the trk502 is for a bike with all those (rather heavy) accessories pre-installed. Luggage racks and crash bars are not made of cotton candy, they're steel, and steel weighs a lot.

I think TRK502 is a hot contender. I hope SSR markets the bike well, and points out all the extras you get for far less money than its closest competitor.

Charles.
    eakins likes this.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  18. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    That's going to be a tough sale. I love my benelli shotgun, but I would buy the Honda all day at those price points. I suspect these will be deeply discounted and/or gathering dust on dealers floors.
  19. Berardi3

Berardi3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HONDA HAS PROVEN RELIABILITY
  20. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    So does the Benelli. The TRK502 has been sold in Europe since 2017, and it’s been well reviewed so far.

Charles.